FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   CW to First UuA - numbers seem oddly high (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2021092-cw-first-uua-numbers-seem-oddly-high.html)

TTmex Jul 6, 2020 9:57 am

CW to First UuA - numbers seem oddly high

Hi

I'm trying to do an UuA for a CW to Frist booking. Contacted BA and they're quoting me 488 USD in increased taxes.

I compared a CW and First ticket and this is what came out. The taxes for the CW look pretty much the same as my ticket purchased a couple of weeks ago, give or tax a few dollars due to exchange rate. Any ideas why they are quoting me 488 USD (just for MEX-LHR)

CLUB WORLD - Mexico Transportation Tax IVA International (XO) MX$2,688.00 Mexico Airport Departure Tax Tua International (XD) MX$1,337.00 Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) MX$10,272.00 United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) MX$1,369.00 United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) MX$4,950.00

FIRST .- Mexico Transportation Tax IVA International (XO) MX$3,769.00 Mexico Airport Departure Tax Tua International (XD) MX$1,337.00 Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) MX$10,272.00 United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) MX$1,369.00 United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) MX$4,950.00

Thanks kindly.

nufnuf77 Jul 6, 2020 10:01 am

I does seem high - one reason for the difference could be currency differences from when you purchased? possible MXN devalued significantly? What was the original routing and what currency did you pay in?

TTmex Jul 6, 2020 10:05 am

Hi, It's MEX-LHR

The Mexican peso has been stable since I got the tickets. I just got a reply from Twitter, the guy says new taxes are 1346 dollars. However, I run the exact flights online on BA website and Matrix and both come out with 962 USD, which is about 70-80 different to what I originally paid
Are they pricing it up on a fully flex do you think?

frb98mf Jul 6, 2020 10:48 am

Just looking at the current exchange rate and the tax differences you pulled up, $488 is suspiciously close to MXN 3769 - MXN 2688 = US$48.80 and someone making an input error with a decimal point.

TTmex Jul 6, 2020 10:50 am

Hi, that did cross my mind, but then he actually quoted the increased taxes as 1346, which equates to the 488 he mentions. He's gonna send it to the back off and lets see what happens. my hunch is they're quoting the fees on a fully-flex First or something, but I'm sure somewhere here will be along to correct me soon :)

nufnuf77 Jul 6, 2020 10:56 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32511811)
Hi, It's MEX-LHR

The Mexican peso has been stable since I got the tickets. I just got a reply from Twitter, the guy says new taxes are 1346 dollars. However, I run the exact flights online on BA website and Matrix and both come out with 962 USD, which is about 70-80 different to what I originally paid
Are they pricing it up on a fully flex do you think?

Is it by any chance a return ticket? (possibly to do with the second leg?...)

nufnuf77 Jul 6, 2020 10:57 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32511929)
Hi, that did cross my mind, but then he actually quoted the increased taxes as 1346, which equates to the 488 he mentions. He's gonna send it to the back off and lets see what happens. my hunch is they're quoting the fees on a fully-flex First or something, but I'm sure somewhere here will be along to correct me soon :)

Taxes and fees do not depends on underlying fare (except for a few geographies were VAT/tax is levied on ticket value and causes all havoc with redemptions (Panama and Colombia come to mind...)

TTmex Jul 6, 2020 10:58 am

It is return, but the numbers I'm quoting above are on the return ticket, so I can't see why they'd change.

TTmex Jul 6, 2020 11:00 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 32511948)
Taxes and fees do not depends on underlying fare (except for a few geographies were VAT/tax is levied on ticket value and causes all havoc with redemptions (Panama and Colombia come to mind...)

Yep, that's true. The main discrepancy I'm having though is why I see 962 in taxes and he sees 1346. The YQ appears identical and the Mexican departure tax is a minimal difference.
Appreciate the suggestions.
BW

nufnuf77 Jul 6, 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32511953)
Yep, that's true. The main discrepancy I'm having though is why I see 962 in taxes and he sees 1346. The YQ appears identical and the Mexican departure tax is a minimal difference.
Appreciate the suggestions.
BW

The issue is propobly with the tax on redemption:
For full F (which he is using to calculate:
Mexico Transportation Tax IVA International (XO) $583.70
Mexico Airport Departure Tax Tua International (XD) $60.03
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ) $456.00
Mexico Tourism Tax Derecho No Inmigrante (UK) $25.82
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB) $70.50
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB) $219.70

Backoffice should be able to fix this issue - it has worked for me before

nufnuf77 Jul 6, 2020 11:07 am

This is because historically redemption tax calculation have been based on now discontinued Y/J/F fully interelineable and endorsable IATA fares.

TTmex Jul 6, 2020 11:08 am

Yep, that's what I'd imagine. He's posted it off to backoffice. Let's see what their final number is. If it's what I'm hoping, then I'll be upgrading on the spot. If they come back with the 488 usd number, I think I'll pass and see if a POUG arises. If I'm gonna pay that much, I'd rather be earning than burning avios and getting extra TPs instead.

TTmex Jul 7, 2020 8:14 am

Answer from back office is there is now no availability. Yet it still shows on website and on seatspy etc. I'm calling gold line later as feel someone at Twitter team just giving me the run around

nufnuf77 Jul 7, 2020 8:51 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 32514012)
Answer from back office is there is now no availability. Yet it still shows on website and on seatspy etc. I'm calling gold line later as feel someone at Twitter team just giving me the run around

That is nonsense - and btw ask the agent to hold the upgraded seats in the PNR - That way you avoid losing the upgrade whilst waiting on back office

TTmex Jul 7, 2020 8:54 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 32514087)
That is nonsense - and btw ask the agent to hold the upgraded seats in the PNR - That way you avoid losing the upgrade whilst waiting on back office

Yes exactly my thoughts. I'll keep you posted on outcome.