Wiki Posts
Search

“Safest” Club Europe seats

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dddc
Searching the web has some answers:

The article would make you never leave your home again in the Express but then they counter it with this article.

National Geographic have diagrams of how a virus could spread and saying a window seat is better, as per the previous article.

The BBC takes it's usual well balanced approach here.

Like everything you do there is an element of risk. Variables will change depending on time of day, where the plane has just come from, who's on the flight, who stood near you in the terminal, what you touched and did you touch your face. So, picking a seat is just one element to consider. Personally I would wipe down the area around me, bag the wipes safely, sanitise my hands and keep them away from my masked face. If everyone is wearing masks, then that will hopefully reduce the risk of airborne droplets that carry the most risk. Every seat has pluses and minuses to it. I would go for the last seat with no one behind me, but that means passing through more of the cabin and touching something may be contaminated.
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310
Probably ET and the last row, as you're the last to board and you have no one behind you breathing - tuck yourself into the corner (window).

But really, as other have said if this kind of thing is make or break for you then I think you're not ready to fly because the risk difference between seats is going to be negligible. The odds of someone carrying the disease being sat in your vicinity in CE are going to be the same for every seat assuming even distribution of passengers.
This would be my instinct as well. Row 1 would work but only if you board last. If you make sue of the previously much coveted priority boarding then whilst you settle into your seat, the whole remainder of the plane needs to file past you. That strikes me as being more risky than anything else, although I agree with CWS' comments about micro managing small risks vs staying at home.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by gcuk
It never occurred to me to seek scientific research and risk analysis in The Sun
to be fair the Sun didn’t do the research, just reported on it.

As I said there will also be those who disagree with the research, those who use simpler models that don’t take into account airflow of the shape of the cabin looking simple at time in proximity (as reference in the likes of the other articles that people have quoted). As I say, nobody knows for sure, and there is a small risk wherever you sit.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
This would be my instinct as well. Row 1 would work but only if you board last. If you make sue of the previously much coveted priority boarding then whilst you settle into your seat, the whole remainder of the plane needs to file past you. That strikes me as being more risky than anything else, although I agree with CWS' comments about micro managing small risks vs staying at home.
I thought they were boarding from the rear now?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Originally Posted by navylad
don’t sing
Good advice on a plane in any case!
navylad likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you for your replies.

I'm not sure where from some of you got the impression that I was overly worrying about the seat choice. Some people here worry about what the best seat is to guarantee that a medium-rare steak will arrive at the correct serving temperature, not too warm, not too cold. So some curiosity around opinions when it comes to seat selection and spreading of particles that might come from sneezing and coughing does not seem that crazy to me.

I am not and was not by any means thinking that the seat choice would make any significant difference in terms of risk when compared to other more serious factors.

Just to clarify, no one is forcing me to fly, it's my choice, but if my parents didn't live in Sardinia, I would not be flying. Not because I am terrified at the idea, but because I think I could do without it. However, things are relatively "quiet' now and it's a great opportunity to see my elderly parents who I might not be able to see for who knows how long depending on how things evolve.

Last edited by ringingup; Jul 8, 2020 at 12:36 am
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ringingup
Thank you for your replies.

I'm not sure where from some of you got the impression that I was overly worrying about the seat choice. Some people here worry about what's the best seat to guarantee that a medium-rare steak will arrive at the correct serving temperature, not too warm, not too cold. So some curiosity around opinions when it comes to seat selection and spreading of particles that might come from sneezing and coughing does not seem that crazy to me.

I am not and was not by any means thinking that the seat choice would make any significant difference in terms of risk when compared to other more serious factors.

Just to clarify, no one is forcing me to fly, it's my choice, but if my parents didn't live in Sardinia, I would not be flying. Not because I am terrified at the idea, but because I think I could do without it. However, things are relatively "quiet' now and it's a great opportunity to see my elderly parents who I might not be able to see for who knows how long depending on how things evolve.
i hope you have a great trip and it will be great to see family no doubt.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad
i hope you have a great trip and it will be great to see family no doubt.
Thank you @navylad. Despite a sense that in part we feel that it would be better to not travel, I am also looking forward to it. We are lucky enough that we won't need to stay in the same place as my parents during our time in Sardinia, which makes it easier to mitigate the risk of passing something onto them.
navylad likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 6:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Some people here worry about what's the best seat to guarantee that a medium-rare steak will arrive at the correct serving temperature, not too warm, not too cold.
Great point, well made
ringingup likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
As a thought, would it be safer to drive? Could be done in 2 easy days, as it's only 1100 miles.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
As a thought, would it be safer to drive? Could be done in 2 easy days, as it's only 1100 miles.
Very unlikely to be safer. Statistically at least.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you haven't read the Jersey thread, there is now an interesting extra quirk to this discussion.

If you enter Jersey and test positive, you are placed under house arrest for 14 days. More importantly, everyone sitting in the 2 rows behind and in front of you is also placed under house arrest for 14 days. You will be in a property provided by the Government, not your booked hotel.

On this basis, Row 1 or the very back row is now substantially the best choice, because it reduces by 50% your chance of being caught up in something like this if another passenger tests positive.
ringingup and ENTP like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:15 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by cmd320
Very unlikely to be safer. Statistically at least.
I meant in regards to contracting covid, rather than risk factors of driving vs flying in normal times. However, here in Canada road traffic collisions are about 1/8 of usual levels simply because there is much less traffic on the roads now.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

This is now just speculative and more for fun than anything else, but:
  • Driving would require making several stops, including in hotels overnight
  • You'd need to take an overnight ferry
I'm not really sure that the risks of crossing path with Covid contracting it would actually be lower.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
We’ll be flying in August to Sardinia to visit family now that we have a relatively safe opportunity window.

I’ve been thinking about what the “safest” seats for a couple might be... I’m tempted to say Row 1 because of the extra space, but at the same time in row 1 you’re close to the “waiting area” for the toilets.

Any thoughts,
If you’re worried, stay home.

Statistically catching C19 is low risk on a plane, overlaid with your personal risk gives you your answer.

Personally if I were 60+, and I’m not, I would travel. Life is short and to be lived, I’d rather take the very low risk vs. staying at home and panicking about going to Tesco.

We need to be sensible and make our own risk assessments based on facts.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Or just one day?

I did the drive back alone from Madrid to London (1100 miles) in one day! Although I'm sure flying will still be safer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.