Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Devaluation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I buy and upgrade things almost weekly, and have never had a situation that i wouldnt have been charged the old difference (eg RFS usual banding +17.5/25 rates)
This is what I get for a book&upgrade MUC-LHR. Not explicit on the cash cost, but +5,750 avios as the OP is seeing.

Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pjh981
Has anyone else noticed the devaluation of Avios when you upgrade a RFS ET to CE?

I just booked one-way ET Flight to MUC for cash in 'N' class and upgraded using Avios to CE. Expected to pay 3,750 Avios plus Tax off-peak for the upgrade, which is the RFS difference at the old RFS tax rates of 4,000 Avios + £17.50 ET/7,750 Avios + £25.00 CE.

Instead, I was charged 5,750 Avios + £13. That is the difference between the new Avios rates if you select 50p Tax - rather than the old RFS rates. In other words a 53% increase in Avios and 73% increase in taxes and charges.

Have I got this wrong? Or have upgrades of RFS just got much less attractive?
Agent made a mistake, it should be 4500 peak / 4000 off-peak for an upgrade. The problem is their computer system suggests the incorrect value... it's down to the way BA has implemented the Avios for RFS "trial" - they've essentially lowered the RFS to £1 (£0.50 per segment) and adjusted redemption values.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by megaloman
Agent made a mistake, it should be 4500 peak / 4000 off-peak for an upgrade. The problem is their computer system suggests the incorrect value... it's down to the way BA has implemented the Avios for RFS "trial" - they've essentially lowered the RFS to £1 (£0.50 per segment) and adjusted redemption values.
If you try to do it online it's always 2k above the old tables / cost and has been since May. Not the agents mistake, however it is either an IT error side effect of the new RFS pricing, or a deliberate devaluation by BA. Perhaps someone can ask them which it is.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Geek
If you try to do it online it's always 2k above the old tables / cost and has been since May. Not the agents mistake, however it is either an IT error side effect of the new RFS pricing, or a deliberate devaluation by BA. Perhaps someone can ask them which it is.
Few weeks ago I was trying to book a Gold Priority Reward, got quoted 24000 avios + £0.50 where I was expecting to pay 15000 avios + £17.50. At first agent told me it was the new and correct pricing (a bit steep price of 9000 avios for £17 saving if you ask me!), when I asked for a supervisor, they suddenly could do the 15k avios + £17.50 as an exception, asking the reason agent has read the email which said "if customer is not happy with the new higher pricing, they should be offered the *standard* avios pricing". It required a manual processing I was told, but could be done.

Had a similar issue for my sister's ticket booked with avios, when I called to change the booking, I was asked to pay up 5000 avios (or whatever the avios for RFS was at the time), again at first agent was sure it was the right price, but when I asked for the supervisor, suddenly agent understood what *standard* avios rate was.

Unfortunately, BA has taken the reward price calculator offline, which is not helpful.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I'm about to make a redemption for my parents, and this new pricing is kicking in. WAW-LHR-DXB offpeak premium economy used to be 32.5k avios (6.5k for short haul and 26k for long haul). Now I am being quoted 11k for the short haul, which is consistent with the new pricing where one pays £1 for taxes, but they don’t seem to allow old pricing. I've challenged it saying that it's been 6.5k rather than 11k one way, but received this response:
In August 2019 we changed how we charge short hall Avios bookings, originally the Reward Flight Saver was 35.00GBP for Euro Traveller and 50.00GBP for Club Europe. For return Warsaw flights in Club Europe using a Gold Upgrade Voucher it would have been 50.00GBP and 13,000 Avios per person. Under the new pricing the Reward Flight Saver fee is now 1.00GBP regardless of cabin and for the Warsaw flights it would be 22,000 Avios per person.
Any recent success stories on getting the *standard* avios pricing on connecting itineraries?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by wmaciej
I'm about to make a redemption for my parents, and this new pricing is kicking in. WAW-LHR-DXB offpeak premium economy used to be 32.5k avios (6.5k for short haul and 26k for long haul). Now I am being quoted 11k for the short haul, which is consistent with the new pricing where one pays £1 for taxes, but they don’t seem to allow old pricing. I've challenged it saying that it's been 6.5k rather than 11k one way, but received this response:

Any recent success stories on getting the *standard* avios pricing on connecting itineraries?
This is illogical and whoever come up with this at BA, has no idea how ticketing works. For routes like WAW-LHR-DXB taxes are calculated based on departure and destination, so you essentially pay your standard taxes plus 5.5k avios extra for RFS fee (aka taxes).

Call up again and ask the agent to dig the email out about changes. The email says if customers are not happy with the new prices, they should be offered *standard* avios prices.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by megaloman
This is illogical and whoever come up with this at BA, has no idea how ticketing works. For routes like WAW-LHR-DXB taxes are calculated based on departure and destination, so you essentially pay your standard taxes plus 5.5k avios extra for RFS fee (aka taxes).

Call up again and ask the agent to dig the email out about changes. The email says if customers are not happy with the new prices, they should be offered *standard* avios prices.
this was two GGL agents who gave me this figure and insist it is correct... I’ll call later to discuss further and escalate if I get nowhere...
megaloman likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:25 am

Called in, asked for recalculation of avios - all done and number as expected. Looks that the system is wired to charge the higher amount, but the difference promptly refunded. Fantastic service
megaloman and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:32 am

Called in, asked for recalculation of avios - all done and number as expected. Looks that the system is wired to charge the higher amount, but the difference promptly refunded. Fantastic service
Which proves that agents are lacking training and often make up their own rules if they're unsure what to do.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Was this before or after reservation being ticketed that you contacted BAEC for recalculation?

I was hit by the same back in Oct during the 50% off Avios sale, where I simply couldn't figure out on which basis the high number of Avios for CPH-LHR-MEX or CPH-LHR-GRU had been calculated. At the end I had to swallow the higher than expected Avios and I didn't take it up later with BAEC (and I don't intend to now, only for future reference).
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Was this before or after reservation being ticketed that you contacted BAEC for recalculation?

I was hit by the same back in Oct during the 50% off Avios sale, where I simply couldn't figure out on which basis the high number of Avios for CPH-LHR-MEX or CPH-LHR-GRU had been calculated. At the end I had to swallow the higher than expected Avios and I didn't take it up later with BAEC (and I don't intend to now, only for future reference).
before, I called and said the avios figure looks off and I think it should be X. The agent recalculated and confirmed it to be X.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This is all so confusing and illogical. Any redemption combining a SH flight with another flight calculates incorrectly. It has become increasingly difficult to find an agent willing to correct this. I have been complaining about this for over a year now. Really stupid is if you try and book a SH flight using an account not entitled to book an RFS, you will continue to see the “standard” rate offered. Since YQ is currently really low on SH this results in an Avios and cash cost lower than those of us entitled to book the supposedly advantageous RFS.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Deleted.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:34 am

This continues being a bloody nightmare to navigate. Most agents, including GGL ones, insist that it's perfectly reasonable that LHR-DXB sector in off-peak J is 50,000 avios, but the feeder AMS-LHR is 15,000, while it should be 7,750 - the same way as when it's booked as a standalone. A senior manager advised the agent to advise me to book them separately, but I should know that then I will lose protecting of it being a single PNR
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:11 am

This continues being a bloody nightmare to navigate. Most agents, including GGL ones, insist that it's perfectly reasonable that LHR-DXB sector in off-peak J is 50,000 avios, but the feeder AMS-LHR is 15,000, while it should be 7,750 - the same way as when it's booked as a standalone. A senior manager advised the agent to advise me to book them separately, but I should know that then I will lose protecting of it being a single PNR
Booking them separately will affect taxes you need to pay - e.g. booking LHR-DXB-LHR will have higher taxes (£542.72) than AMS-LHR-DXB-LHR-AMS ticket (£349.42). Taxes are calculated based on departure and destination, so feeder segment should be charged at standard avios prices, not ones including RFS. Unfortunately BA has messed up, so the system prices at full avios prices, and no one at BA seems to have a clue what they've done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.