No A380s out of HKG?

Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stewaran
colleagues of mine in Taiwan refuse to travel china airlines, they do not trust their safety record.

they usually take Eva air through BKK. Personally i would take the HKG flight on the 777.
haha last year's flights on ba. HKG LHR 9 out 11 seats around me in biz class broken on 380. LHR ICN DREAMLINER 3 seats broken in business class. Crew told me on both flights lack of maintenance & when reported can take weeks to fix. Don't kid yourself about BA being the be all and end all of airlines. My wife's uncle is due to retire from BA engineering. I trust what he tells me & cut backs mean they often have to wait before fixing something in the cabin.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
they usually take Eva air through BKK.
This is what I did last year and I was very impressed with EVA. Fantastic hard and soft product (no idea if the latter is relevant now, but the hard product was way ahead of BA).
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bradders239
haha last year's flights on ba. HKG LHR 9 out 11 seats around me in biz class broken on 380. LHR ICN DREAMLINER 3 seats broken in business class. Crew told me on both flights lack of maintenance & when reported can take weeks to fix. Don't kid yourself about BA being the be all and end all of airlines. My wife's uncle is due to retire from BA engineering. I trust what he tells me & cut backs mean they often have to wait before fixing something in the cabin.
Let's be very clear though: there is a fundamental difference between ensuring that an aircraft is safe to operate and being in top condition. An aircraft could have every single seat broken, every IFE turned off but be safe to go. To imply that BA, or any other reputable airline, flies with a non-dispatcheable item malfunctioning is wrong. If the plane is unsafe to fly, the plane is fixed and until such time the thing doesn't fly. Is BA far from the likes of JAL, where every failing component, no matter how minor, has a maximum of one flight before it's swapped out? Absolutely. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if BA tied the bonus for Engineers to the number of ADDs on its fleets...

Having said that, China Airlines' maintenance records - much in the same way as Korean Air's - have considerably improved since the 1980s and 1990s.
flygirl68, stewaran and shefgab like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
.... The 787 is pretty unspecial, certainly not worth going out of your way for.
To avoid B777 noise and headaches, the B787 definitely is worth going out of your way for.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by bradders239
haha last year's flights on ba. HKG LHR 9 out 11 seats around me in biz class broken on 380. LHR ICN DREAMLINER 3 seats broken in business class.
That seems very unlucky given my experiences
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richardwft
To avoid B777 noise and headaches, the B787 definitely is worth going out of your way for.
strange whining noises, useless dimmed windows, over wing vibration, still overloud AC? It’s certainly not worth an extra 2 hours in economy.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by richardwft
Agreed, but not in World Traveller obviously!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Other thing here is COVID-19. I would personally look to minimise number of connections, particularly if on separate tickets, because of the risk of schedule changes / new lockdowns / regulations / other faff factors potentially making the risk of cancellation higher.

just because we appear to be easing things here right now, I don’t think it follows that we can ‘plan’ for this being a one way street. I expect a number of diversions leading to nowhere, pit stops, u-turns and other similar analogies until we emerge the other side. I get the sense the ‘make it up as we go along’ / ‘as much of an art as it is a science’ approach is being adopted on a global basis right now whilst each country, like Goldilocks, decides how much COVID-19 is the ‘right’ amount to ‘manage through’ the pandemic.
stewardo likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
BA are mostly using 777,787 and A350s as these are the most economical jets. The 747s may or may not be back, the A380s are not very economical either so their future isn’t bright. More in the July and August schedule change threads.
The A380 is economical, you just have to fill it. That is the real challenge given the state of passenger travel at the moment. A better word might be 'inflexible'.
etiene likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
BA are mostly using 777,787 and A350s as these are the most economical jets. The 747s may or may not be back, the A380s are not very economical either so their future isn’t bright. More in the July and August schedule change threads.

I had a change last week from a 772 to a Super Hi-J 744 JFK-LHR for 14th Sept so I imagine they are planning on putting them back into service, at least for a short while if nothing else, otherwise notifying of an aircraft change this far out seems strange & pointless.
shefgab and Genius1 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
The A380 is economical, you just have to fill it. That is the real challenge given the state of passenger travel at the moment. A better word might be 'inflexible'.
How about just agreeing that it's not economical at the current load levels?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
colleagues of mine in Taiwan refuse to travel china airlines, they do not trust their safety record.

they usually take Eva air through BKK. Personally i would take the HKG flight on the 777.
Shame, I've flown them a few times from Europe and always had a great experience, never felt unsafe. Hard product is excellent, so is soft product. I'd definitely recommend it especially as they fly direct without stopping in BKK.
Shame they don't fly to CDG though.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gliderpilot
The A380 has been economical enough to fly overnight to JNB, have a full daytime nap and then leave in the evening and be back at LHR in the early morning.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by golfmad
How about just agreeing that it's not economical at the current load levels?
Fine by me .
Old Jul 2, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I see a regular A380 captain on Instagram is in the simulator this week so fingers crossed the pilots are being kept ready to fly
Captain Dave I hope.
Genius1 and mikeyfly like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.