Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Avis UK hire - 2nd driver/price increase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi there,

I’m trying to book to book an Avis car to take advantage of the free 2nd driver for a 2 week booking. The BA website ‘book hire car’ isn’t working and spits out a ‘we’re sorry nothing available’.

Avis website shows availability and I can book but even as Avis preferred its not giving me the option for free 2nd driver - wanting Ł12.99 a day.

When I add my exec number into something you want to collect airfield’ the price jumps up Ł51. But surely I need the exec club number there to get the free second driver?

cant get through to them on the phone.

what’s the deal with 2nd driver - does it actually have to be put through the BA website to work? And why on earth does the price jump so much when I add my exec club number?!!

any help much appreciated.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Does this help https://www.carhire-ba.com/avis-free-additional-driver
muggle likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have added my BA number on picking up the car and had no problem getting the 2nd free driver added immediately.
muggle likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I have booked directly with Avis and added my Executive Club number when I picked up the car to get the second driver free. This was at Heathrow and I did have to convince the AVIS agent to add my Exec number retrospectively, so not sure it would work everywhere, or all the time.

Last edited by Furby; Jun 30, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
My understanding is that if you book through Avis.co.uk for UK hire then you get an additional driver for free anyway, regardless of BA Executive Club. Is it not working to add additional free driver as described in the link below?

www.avis.co.uk/drive-avis/car-hire-extras/additional-driver
Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks all. The Avis system is a joke. The above was what happening on the app. On the website it ended up Ł25 cheaper than the app price on base fare and no price change when exec club number added.

I have booked and will call Avis in the morning (if their call centre is actually open)

fingers crossed I can get 2nd driver added on phone or at rental station - it’s a relatively small non airport location so certainly won’t be a slam dunk.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: BA
I had problems with Avis in Italy last year. I booked through BA, but they refused to acknowledge the second driver was free for me as a BA Exec club member at the desk. I had to pay in the end and chase it later. It took nearly 3 months to get the money back from Avis.
muggle likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I noticed that on Avis you can upgrade to the zero excess/included roadside protection with a set price there and then, but via BA's site (carhire-ba.com, not ba.com as noted above) you get the free 2nd driver but are told you can upgrade the insurance at the airport counter. My concern is that the counter upgrade will be at a premium price higher than the price quoted on avis.co.uk.

I'd like to book on avis.co.uk but still get the 2nd driver free. I can't find a place to enter my EC number on the Avis website - any thoughts?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The Ginge
I had problems with Avis in Italy last year. I booked through BA, but they refused to acknowledge the second driver was free for me as a BA Exec club member at the desk. I had to pay in the end and chase it later. It took nearly 3 months to get the money back from Avis.
I had a similar issue at Nice airport. Took a lot of going backwards and forwards and her ultimately getting fed up to the back teeth of us before she said she would add the 2nd driver added for free as a favour. The whole Avis experience at Nice airport was an absolute nightmare.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Starski
I noticed that on Avis you can upgrade to the zero excess/included roadside protection with a set price there and then, but via BA's site (carhire-ba.com, not ba.com as noted above) you get the free 2nd driver but are told you can upgrade the insurance at the airport counter. My concern is that the counter upgrade will be at a premium price higher than the price quoted on avis.co.uk.

I'd like to book on avis.co.uk but still get the 2nd driver free. I can't find a place to enter my EC number on the Avis website - any thoughts?
better to take out a third party excess cover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.