Is theoretical seating still in operation?

Old Jun 29, 20, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is theoretical seating still in operation?

In order to maintain some social distancing and to avoid the higher CE fares (which guarantees the middle seat free), I was wondering if this was still an active feature during the Covid19 pandemic as flights get back up and running?
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:14 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
It's worked for me, but on the flights I have taken it appears to have worked for most, as I have not been on a full flight yet.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:19 am

I flew LHR - BCN on Saturday 27/06.. From looking at expert flyer, seat next to me was blocked and next to a few others too... so I assume theoretical seating was operational yes. Load was around 60%, so no guarantee though. Majority of people were pretty good with masks on board which adds some layer of comfort when distancing isn't possible.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:21 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Doesn't look like it... I have an AMS next week I was the only pax with an allocated seat (1A) today another pax has a seat (1C) go figure why anybody would pic that?
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:25 am

Although not BA, flights are getting progressively busier and busier. My flights last week versus the previous week were noticeably busier, and on some (where the carrier has their own version of theoretical seating e.g. LX/LH), there were no seat blocks for eligible status passengers.

If you wish to guarantee a seat block, then I would advise to pay for it. However, one would question if this is a concern for you, should you be travelling at all?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
TS is definitely working, and it's difficult now for BA to operate without it (since it actually handles a great deal more than just blocking empty seats next to Goldies). The nature of TS is that if you have a half filled aircraft then TS more-or-less works for everyone, in terms fo physical distancing, On a low loaded flight then weight and balance awkwardly come into the mix. Most flights at the moment are in the half-filled to low-loaded category. Once flights fill up, at some point even Goldies won't have empty seats next to them unless in CE. As noted in the July thread, I've been tracking services to AGP and for the first 2 - 3 weeks a lot of services are close to being full, and TS isn't going to help there.

I used the terms more-or-less on half filled services: TS gets defeated when Silver and Gold cardholders startt to move to the front of the ET cabin, something that people are still doing. So those with status should consider - even more than normal - going towards the back of ET or two thirds down the CE cabin.
Joe McGarey likes this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by CT-UK View Post
Doesn't look like it... I have an AMS next week I was the only pax with an allocated seat (1A) today another pax has a seat (1C) go figure why anybody would pic that?
Either the Gold cardholder wanted that seat or it's an auto-allocation which the GC holder will move later. TS would only block 1C at 3 days, since TS doesn't apply to Amadeus Seating. (See main TS thread).
Gastrocnemius and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 5:55 am

1C is usually my first choice, regardless of which other seats are occupied or available.
Old Jun 29, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if your flight is next week then TS has not kicked in yet.

Looks like another gold wanted to sit beside you, and before TS kicks in at T-72 there is little if anything stopping them doing that.
Old Jun 29, 20, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
1C is usually my first choice, regardless of which other seats are occupied or available.
Got to be the most touched seat on the plane. That and the fact that every idiot with a polar sized backpack wants to take your head off probably makes it the most "deadly" seat during boarding.

For the record its my seat of choice too as my better half sits in 1A.
Tocsin, TWCLAM and pennineuk like this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
Just made me smile / frown when I noticed they could have picked any other seat
Old Jun 29, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Which you now could, of course.
Old Jun 29, 20, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by AdBoy View Post
Which you now could, of course.
I have...
Old Jun 29, 20, 10:17 am

If I knew that 1A would still be the only other occupied seat at the time of the flight then I would choose 1D or 1F rather than 1C. But that is extremely unlikely, and so I choose the seat I prefer.
Old Jun 29, 20, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Got to be the most touched seat on the plane. That and the fact that every idiot with a polar sized backpack wants to take your head off probably makes it the most "deadly" seat during boarding.

For the record its my seat of choice too as my better half sits in 1A.
Diito and likewise for Mrs. T I stand leaning against the bulkhead until I hear those glorious words "Boarding complete".
Mike Skyflier likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: