Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Actual experience arriving in France and EU

Old Jun 27, 20, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold

Flights to European holiday destinations have very high loads in the coming days. For example, the single flight to NCE is mostly fully booked (only J bucket offered) in the coming days, and same when 2 daily flights are offered from 2 July. Same for many Italian flights.
Any one has actual experience with border control upon arrival?

One can expect no quarantine on return from France after 6 July, but France is still imposing a "voluntary" quarantine upon arrival. Can anyone please share what that entails based on their own experience.
Old Jun 27, 20, 10:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
I cant answer your question but just J class available doesnt necessarily mean high loads. It just means anyone who is gonna buy likely HAS TO travel and is willing to part with considerable amounts!
Old Jun 28, 20, 12:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
One can expect no quarantine on return from France after 6 July, but France is still imposing a "voluntary" quarantine upon arrival. Can anyone please share what that entails based on their own experience.
I haven't been to NCE but I have been to LYS. What is happening is that there are a great deal more policing agencies staff present at the border than normal for far fewer passengers. They won't all be trained in immigration details, but they will ask some standard questions as to what you are doing in France, your plans and where you will be staying. At LYS they had the question stage and then a separate passport scan desk. I wasn't specifically asked about any anti-Covid measures but they did briefly check my paperwork as well as my identity card, so that was effectively checked twice. I heard other people asked "and will you be staying there?" It was quite similar to the set-up after France strengthened controls on Schengen travellers after the November 2015 Bataclan attack.
Old Jun 28, 20, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I haven't been to NCE but I have been to LYS. What is happening is that there are a great deal more policing agencies staff present at the border than normal for far fewer passengers. They won't all be trained in immigration details, but they will ask some standard questions as to what you are doing in France, your plans and where you will be staying. At LYS they had the question stage and then a separate passport scan desk. I wasn't specifically asked about any anti-Covid measures but they did briefly check my paperwork as well as my identity card, so that was effectively checked twice. I heard other people asked "and will you be staying there?" It was quite similar to the set-up after France strengthened controls on Schengen travellers after the November 2015 Bataclan attack.
Paperwork CWS?
Old Jun 28, 20, 1:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SW7London View Post
Paperwork CWS?
I was an essential worker, so letters from work and the French contact.
SW7London likes this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 1:35 am

I arrived in Munich on Thursday after flying Lufthansa. Arrival was absolutely normal except for the e-gates were for German citizens only. Other than that, it was a manual passport check, no questions and welcome to Germany.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 1:43 am

Yes, the experience in places like Germany, NL, Belgium, Switzerland, Portugal is fairly similar to normal. NL even has the e-gates working. In Germany the e-gates are DE only even for departing passengers, which I don't really understand.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 2:55 am

Just arrived at LHR T5 for BA344 today.

Seems a fairly busy flight. Check in was fairly smooth and have been given a form to fill in - one side is the International Travel Certificate and the other is a symptoms declaration. The first part suggests that UK travellers donít have to fill it in - and none of reasons match my reason for travel (work for a client). What have other people done in that situation. I imagine the symptoms declaration is more important.
Old Jun 28, 20, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
I cant answer your question but just J class available doesnt necessarily mean high loads. It just means anyone who is gonna buy likely HAS TO travel and is willing to part with considerable amounts!
Trust me my friend. The outbound NCE flights are very full, whether you rely on assigned seat maps or inside information.

I hope that you will get into LHR soon.
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woobl View Post
Just arrived at LHR T5 for BA344 today.

Seems a fairly busy flight. Check in was fairly smooth and have been given a form to fill in - one side is the International Travel Certificate and the other is a symptoms declaration. The first part suggests that UK travellers donít have to fill it in - and none of reasons match my reason for travel (work for a client). What have other people done in that situation. I imagine the symptoms declaration is more important.
Many thanks. Please report on the French arrival and request for voluntary quarantine if you can.
Old Jun 28, 20, 6:54 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Spoiler

brunos and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Trust me my friend. The outbound NCE flights are very full, whether you rely on assigned seat maps or inside information.
I confirm...
Old Jun 28, 20, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Exec
Travelled into Paris CDG today from LHR with Air France.

Was not given any paperwork to fill in at Bag Drop or at any other point. Passed through immigration in CDG with no hassle. Cursory check of my UK passport and I was in.
Old Jun 28, 20, 10:03 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I'm more bothered by the form I have to fill in for returning to the UK tomorrow. Getting into France by Eurostar yesterday was a breeze, no forms to fill in, no questions asked. Pretty normal as before this pandemic. I started to fill in the first two pages of the form (to show on arrival at UK Border control) and gave up. One of the questions asked was if I can be contacted by telephone, sms or both. I said no, then was asked to give reason why. Simple: I don't want to be contacted.
Old Jun 28, 20, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Strawb View Post
I'm more bothered by the form I have to fill in for returning to the UK tomorrow. Getting into France by Eurostar yesterday was a breeze, no forms to fill in, no questions asked. Pretty normal as before this pandemic. I started to fill in the first two pages of the form (to show on arrival at UK Border control) and gave up. One of the questions asked was if I can be contacted by telephone, sms or both. I said no, then was asked to give reason why. Simple: I don't want to be contacted.
There is a detailed thread on this in the Coronavirus forum, but you could well be forced to fill in the form with a Border Force officer "helping" you, upon arrival. I would gently suggest that if this is your mindset with the form, then the PHE contact centre agent may well feel your case is one worth pursuing. The Locator Form does not ask if you can be contacted, it asks are you able to be contacted, which may be a nuance but able and willing are two different things. I've done three entries to the UK so far, have copiously entered all details, with a fourth one due in a few days, and so far have not been contacted. If you fill in the Locator Form with good intentions then it won't take long to do, there are a lot of questions (about 38 of them) but it is fairly straightforward.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: