BA - San Jose

Old Jun 27, 20, 1:53 am
Original Poster

BA - San Jose

Hi,

We were supposed to be doing a business class trip to the USA this summer, but due to Covid 19 it has all been cancelled.
The flights were booked with Avios and two companion vouchers.

The companion vouchers have been extended, so I'm now looking to do the same trip next year.

It will be another month or two before I can book the flights, but I've been doing dummy bookings, just to see what flights are available on which days of the week etc.

This year we were supposed to fly into LAS and fly home from SFO.

I've been checking availability for nearly three weeks and business class on the LAS flights never has more than two seats available.
There are odd times when there are more than two seats available on LAX or SFO flights.

SJC seems to have the most availability. We are going to need four seats and most days it is showing availability.

However I'm wondering if BA will still be operating into SJC next year. With everything that is going on, I'm expecting certain routes to be cut back.
SJC is a 30 minute drive from SFO, so BA could drop SJC and increase capacity slightly at SFO.

I know it's not easy to predict these things, but I would like to know what others think?
Would I be taking a risk by booking flights to SJC?

regards,
Varig_dc10.

Last edited by Varig_dc10; Jun 27, 20 at 2:00 am
Old Jun 27, 20, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Book SJC, and if the route gets canned / badly retimed youíll be able to switch to another airport which will suit you
Old Jun 27, 20, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I didn't make it clear, we would be booking with Avios and two companion vouchers.

Wouldn't the other airport need to have Avios business class seats available or does the fact my original flight has been cancelled give me a bit more choice?
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:11 am

We are planning to go to the west coast next summer and SJC is what in my mind, as we need 4 CW redemption too. We did this route before and it was so easy and quick to get out of the airport.

If BA cancel the flights, they will need to re-route you regardless of Avios availability as far as I know.
Varig_dc10 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
I loved arriving at SJC, hand baggage only was outside and at car hire about 15 mins after touchdown.

But yes, even Reward seats, if airline cancel they’ll allow a switch to a service without reward seats available
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
SJC has long been popular in this forum for those trying to get to the Bay area but unable to find Avios seats to SFO. If BA cancel the service they would allow a free transfer -3 days to +14 days to SFO. They may allow LAX as well (it's just over the 300 mile rule) since a previous problem was that SJC would be cancelled when SFO services were full. That, clearly, isn't a problem at the moment. Personally I have a feeling SJC is the sort of route that won't survive the New Normal but that shouldn't necessarily stop you from booking it. SJC was profitable when it operated and was being planned for upgraded services before this all kicked off.
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:30 am

I was in the same boat, looking for 4 F seats to LAS. Both LAS & LAX never had 4 F avios seats so I booked SJC for April next year. In a way Iím hoping SJC is cancelled and I can get directly into LAS but worst case Iíll push for LAX & Iíll just hop onto an AA flight up to Vegas
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:31 am

I was excited to see BA swapped 787-9 to 747 last year and hoping it will happen again when we go, as I want my children to experience the UD on the 747s but itís very unlikely now, as all 747s are being retired.

I also think this route may get cancelled, but just hope BA do it after Iíve got my tickets!
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Personally I have a feeling SJC is the sort of route that won't survive the New Normal but that shouldn't necessarily stop you from booking it. SJC was profitable when it operated and was being planned for upgraded services before this all kicked off.
Having just booked a redemption flight to SAN (on a 747 apparently ) for next year this comment got me wondering what other routes might be lost in the New Normal. Obviously we can't know for sure right now but some here seem to have more of an inkling than most.
Old Jun 27, 20, 2:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DrGee View Post
Having just booked a redemption flight to SAN (on a 747 apparently ) for next year this comment got me wondering what other routes might be lost in the New Normal. Obviously we can't know for sure right now but some here seem to have more of an inkling than most.
SAN did really well for BA, it also used to get really good cargo on that sector, which presumably will be even more important now. It's not LAX, so it will be at risk, but I'd put its chances of surviving as higher than many other places. Who knows, maybe Edmonton now joins the network? But I tend to be reluctant to wade into crystal ball territory since I doubt I am any better at this than anyone else, we all have to make our own calls.
DrGee likes this.
Old Jun 27, 20, 3:52 am

Iíd suspect the routes that until 788 came along werenít viable will be the first to be chopped. MSY, MEM, perhaps PDX, PIT. Itíll also be interesting to see what happens to the routes served by both AA & BA. Is there a need for 4 flights to BOS, potentially 3 to SEA, 10+ to JFK, 3 to PHL, 5/6 to LAX & MIA etc
Old Jun 27, 20, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Varig_dc10 View Post
SJC is a 30 minute drive from SFO
I don't think this materially affects your point that the proximity of SJC to SFO puts it at some risk, but just in case it's relevant for anyone planning travel, I certainly wouldn't count on driving between the airports in 30 minutes! I guess in principle it's possible, but in principle it'd be possible to drive from Gatwick to Heathrow in 30 minutes, too.

Since my parents live very close to SJC, I'd be disappointed if this great route were axed and I hope the tech bros keep it alive, but even for those who are planning on staying somewhere further north up the peninsula, the smaller airport certainly deserves a look. If you're headed south, for Santa Cruz or Monterey, there's no question. Especially if you're picking up or dropping off a hire car, you can save yourself some hassle and walk right to the terminal instead of having to take transit.

I had a one of the 747 bookings set up for this route, was really looking forward to the F views coming in, and to enjoying the time compared to the short NY flights, but that's gone now and I guess if the route survives, the equipment won't.
Old Jun 27, 20, 5:05 am

Even if SJC does get canned you can be rerouted another way. You can choose to take SFO or a connecting itinerary to get there (assuming AA still flies there). There are many possibilities. Ironically by not booking youíll be contributing to the decision to pull it anyway!
Old Jun 27, 20, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the nonstop to SJC is cancelled and for some reason there is no availability on a convenient service to SFO, there are endless connections LHR-XXX-SJC/SFO. It is beyond unlikely that there will not be one which has good connections and availability, this far out.
Old Jun 27, 20, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
i am guessing this route will be axed ONLY because i am booked in F on this next spring, and while i still have never been on a 787, let alone the BA F on a 787, my seychelles flight was cancelled in may, and another 787 BA flight ages ago was missed due to late connection, so i suppose it would make sense this gets axed to prevent me from ever stepping on a 787

Search this Thread
Search Engine: