Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA return to T3? Plus a mini-trip report from Tuesday BCN-LHR

BA return to T3? Plus a mini-trip report from Tuesday BCN-LHR

Old Jun 30, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
There’s already a plan for this. The thing is, it doesn’t actually create any new stands, just allows remote ones to have jetties attached. And that costs (a lot of) money, at a time when neither BA nor HAL has any. So unlikely to be expedited I’d say.
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Exactly this. There’s no point extending the terminal just to give a few stands jetbridges when there’s no net gain of gates.
No net gain in stands, that’s true, but aren’t non contact ‘B’ and ‘C’ gates mostly bussed from A10? This means that, at any point in time, ‘C’ gates could soak up more passengers than at present and the overall capacity (passengers per hour) would increase. No increase in stands but an increase in gates and waiting areas.

Last edited by TedToToe; Jun 30, 2020 at 4:08 am
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It would basically be HAL sticking two fingers up at VS/DL and EK, surely two of HAL’s five biggest customers who both put a lot of emphasis on their premium ground products. There would be a sizeable compensation bill for HAL to pay too, no? It would almost be inviting EK to move services to LGW (and potentially even to STN).
HAL are, like others, trying to save money, so running fewer terminals makes sense. Any contract will have a "Force Majeure"* clause, so I doubt there'd be much in terms of compensation bill. As for EK moving to Gatwick, they'd have to invest money there. It would be an emotional decision rather than a rational business one.

*Ironically, since you mentioned sticking up fingers, the "majeur" is also the middle one in French, and the 2 signs are possibly related but that's another story.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I could see airlines (particularly Virgin) arguing that the current situation is giving BA (and also the Star Alliance airlines that have their own lounges in T2) an unfair advantage as BA will be able to operate all their premium services (subject to government guidelines) whereas everything Virgin have invested in at LHR is in a currently closed terminal.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Interesting report thanks! headed to BCN myself on friday, so should be interesting. I hear that I'm missing lounge openings by 1 day which is a shame, I would have liked to have seen how things are handled!
Old Dec 18, 2020, 5:37 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Just had an email to say our expected T5 departure to Krakow next May will now be from T3. Don't know if this is just an automated summer schedule email thing or a glimmer of a reopening of T3?

Cant for the life of me find the old route/terminal changes thread
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:24 am

I've just had the same for Bologna in May.

Clearly both Bologna and Krakow were T5 routes prior to the consolidation - so some planning is going into this.

However I'm do wonder if Heathrow / BA will need to reopen T3 / T4 by summer 2021.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Seppy
However I'm do wonder if Heathrow / BA will need to reopen T3 / T4 by summer 2021.
LHR T4 closed until the end of 2021, at least.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.