Italy specific requirements at T5

Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I think that the clear message is that even if you are normally one of those people who pitches up just before the check-in deadline and never misses a flight, in these times expect the unexpected and leave yourself plenty of time.
Yes. To be fair, BA are going all out to encourage people to feel safe to get on a plane.

Those of us who couldn’t wait may find it a chore, but it does feel like they’ve considered everything. Staff very polite and helpful considering what they’re going through.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Vgravity
Nope. No status perks at all.

The website is slightly misleading. It says there is dedicated check in for BAEC status holders. In reality anyone can use it, and everyone flying to Italy has to. There are no separate desks for status or J/F.

One security queue - and it was busy this morning.

No priority boarding. Strictly by row number starting at the back.
Thanks - might fly FR then
Not bothered by priority boarding - on SH I always board at the end anyway. Shame for no priority check in and security - hopefully things will improve in July.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
IATA have called for pre flight PCR checks ; would make sense if this was routine for all passengers 8-24 hours before flying , very confusing when different countries have different rules

Ironically I seem to remember Italy doing temperatures before their surge in Feb
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Ironically I seem to remember Italy doing temperatures before their surge in Feb
They are still in place, Italy started doing this in January. But unfortunately this is a clever virus which has spread in part due to the fact that no one simplistic approach works. What works is a complex array of checks, testing, controls and data, along with a commitment to go into the detail of events and follow them through.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Has anyone seen anything concrete about a ban on the use of overhead lockers on all flights to / from Italy starting today? I've seen rumours on social media but it doesn't seem to have been picked up by any mainstream sites yet.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I am flying to Spain tomorrow and was surprised to be able to check in online and get a boarding pass! I guess this means I can go straight to the gate.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by braiden9
I am flying to Spain tomorrow and was surprised to be able to check in online and get a boarding pass! I guess this means I can go straight to the gate.
Yes, but you should be handed some paperwork at some point for contact details, and there is a temperature check on arrival (not consistently applied though).
Old Jun 26, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Has anyone seen anything concrete about a ban on the use of overhead lockers on all flights to / from Italy starting today? I've seen rumours on social media but it doesn't seem to have been picked up by any mainstream sites yet.
The Alitalia website says

From 26 June, following the provision of the Ministry of Health (prot. 21870 of 23 June 2020) and implemented by ENAC, to protect the health of passengers, the use of overhead bins for the storage of hand baggage will no longer be allowed on all flights operated in Italy. Passengers will only be permitted to bring on board small baggage, that can be placed under their seat such as, for example, handbags, backpacks, laptop cases not exceeding 36x45x20 cm. We invite passengers to deliver their baggage to the airport at the Check-in / Drop-off counter, to be placed in the hold, free of charge;
Seems a bit silly really , but there's a rule somewhere anyway ... flights to, from or within Italy I don't know .. but there is at least theoretically some rule

Hopefully some of this stuff lightens up / becomes more organised as time goes on ... Contact tracing forms I can see the logic in clearly - but surely it would be easier to have some sort of standard around the Advance Passenger info rather than silly paper forms which are probably pretty useless ... and as for banning using overhead lockers .. what's really the point of that !
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
The BA website says:

“You will need to complete a Health Declaration form at check-in, and check-in any large hand luggage as this will not be allowed in the cabin. There will be no additional charge for this.”

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ation#faqitaly
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, but you should be handed some paperwork at some point for contact details, and there is a temperature check on arrival (not consistently applied though).
MAD now has thermal cameras in the 'waiting line' area to exit baggage claims - if they flash/beep, you'll get put aside for a temperature check.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I hope Alitalia will be fully insuring the valuables in the hold that aren't in the overhead bins - or BA for that matter.

You can't expect people to "do the right thing" or even to "do as they're told" when there's a serious downside for them that could be mitigated.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
MAD now has thermal cameras in the 'waiting line' area to exit baggage claims - if they flash/beep, you'll get put aside for a temperature check.
I've said it before on here and I'll say it again, spot temperature checks mean nothing without at least two weeks work of daily temperature checks on record to have a baseline reference to refer to, obviously, if you record as 38˚C+ then it's high, but equally, for some people, 36˚C could be a high temperature.

Also (as I use both in-ear and thermal scanners every day) these thermal cameras are prone to inaccuracy and taking readings off inanimate objects and so their reliability and effectiveness must be questioned.

For those worried though, your external temperature (influenced by hot flushes, exercise, etc) doesn't have an overly dramatic effect on your internal body temperature which is the one being measured.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
I hope Alitalia will be fully insuring the valuables in the hold that aren't in the overhead bins - or BA for that matter.

You can't expect people to "do the right thing" or even to "do as they're told" when there's a serious downside for them that could be mitigated.
You can still put your laptop, camera, faberge eggs, Ming vase etc under the seat.

This prohibition has been enforced for a few days now, the logic being that the overhead lockers' handles will be touched repeatedly and can act as a vehicle for transmitting disease. True, not true, excessive, not excessive: I don't know. I know that small items (handbags, small backpacks) can still be brought onboard and stashed underneath the seat.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Locator Forms

Originally Posted by Vgravity
Apparently introduced this morning, not sure if anyone’s already posted this elsewhere.

If you’re flying to Italy you can’t download a mobile boarding pass.

You need to use the staffed check in desks (15 min queue this morning an hour ahead of the BA548 to FCO). This is because you have a temperature check, and they will give you a paper form to fill in, required by Italian gov.

There are no pens available, so bring your own. You’ll have to hand it in on boarding. There is much confusion here - check-in said you hand it in on arrival and can fill it in on board, but you hand in on boarding.

15 minute security queues, busier than previous days.

I arrived an 65 minutes ahead of departure and only just made official boarding time.
Would it be not be in BA's interest to add the form to their Website and complete it electronically (assuming a large % of people book online) then have the list prepared as part of the manifest prior to departure? I'm assuming the Locator Form additional step bureaucracy isnt going away in a hurry!!

ML
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC
So is this only for flights to Italy? Surely all flights should have temperature checks?

I wonder how long this will last for though, because it’s not ideal not having OLCI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.