Italy specific requirements at T5

Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Just wondering if anyone had been to Italy over the last week or two, specifically Bologna or Palermo. Spending a few days in each next week (into Bologna out of PMO), never been to either.

What’s passport control like? How busy are bars, restaurants, tourist attractions etc? Are they all open? How strict is mask wearing?

Thanks in advance
Bologna is a very underrated and wonderful city . Been several times and last 3 weeks ago .
quick journey from the airport to city , cab cheaper if more than one of you .
Very quiet but every thing is open and we got into restaurants on the day that you would usually have to book weeks in advance
if you want any tips pm me

Last edited by simonsmith; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 8, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
now in venice

Temperature check at the lhr gate, choice of chicken or cheese and pickle . Forms collected on board.

No visible individual temperature check at vce and able to use the automatic passport gates

Beautiful weather this evening at st marks square which had a lot of people but the cafes were quiet and I suspect a lot quieter than normal. Water taxi ride to the Hilton was amazing

Regards

Tbs
Old Aug 8, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
now in venice

Temperature check at the lhr gate, choice of chicken or cheese and pickle . Forms collected on board.

No visible individual temperature check at vce and able to use the automatic passport gates

Beautiful weather this evening at st marks square which had a lot of people but the cafes were quiet and I suspect a lot quieter than normal. Water taxi ride to the Hilton was amazing

Regards

Tbs
Thanks for the update. Off to Pisa at the end of the month and watching Italy developments closely.

Have a fabulous time in Venice.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Hi,
now in venice

Regards

Tbs

OT question about the pool at the Hilton...Is it open normally ? ..there’s some odd message on their website about reduced service but no idea what that means !
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
We had a temp check at lhr

They were scanning all arrivals in Rome on 3 laptops- not obvious. It was placing heat squares around everyone as they walked through towards passport control and red people were pulled over for a check

The guy next to us at passport had flown from the USA via lhr and hadn’t declared it when asked (they said only direct from uk and no other country to go through the lane but he went through). They were pretty pissed off with him but I didn’t see the outcome. He seemed to be arguing that as he was staying with a friend he didn’t need to quarantine.
I've read this mentioned a couple of times of various sites- US residents flying to the UK (where they would be allowed entry with quarantine) and then transitting on a separate ticket to Europe pretending to have been in the UK for two weeks, seems a known and well abused loophole. I would expect close scrutiny travelling on a US / non-EU passport to Italy or Europe generally on a flight from the UK, if a UK resident carry some proof of address etc
Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:32 pm

Hi,
now in venice

Regards

Tbs
There were thermoscanners at the entrance a few weeks ago (there were similar ones in MXP too). Still, not too sure about their actual purpose given all we know about Covid but... I guess better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
OT question about the pool at the Hilton...Is it open normally ? ..there’s some odd message on their website about reduced service but no idea what that means !
hi.

It is a pre book time via reception to limit numbers .the same with the skyline bar. Will try to book for this afternoon .I think it is open till 6pm just now

Regards tbs

Update

Pool was fully booked today Sunday but was able to get 3PM tomorrow ie Monday.
EvilDoctorK likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 9, 2020 at 7:37 am
Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
hi.

It is a pre book time via reception to limit numbers .the same with the skyline bar. Will try to book for this afternoon .I think it is open till 6pm just now

Regards tbs
the pool reopened while we were there and yes one hour slots. You might be allowed to stay there a bit longer if it's not busy but don't count on it!
EvilDoctorK likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Thanks .. I guess the hotel isn't too busy and the pool is fairly large so presumably not too hard to get a slot - main reason to pick the Hilton was to get a pool to keep the kids happy as I think it's about the only place that's fairly central with one
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by BAECAddict
Flew out on 11 August and back on 18 August.
August?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Cris L
August?

BA have taken the lull in operations as an opportunity to install flux capacitors to the fleet
TGLoyalty, BAECAddict and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Here’s the experience of a party of three departing on BA540 on Friday 7 August. Arrived at T5 around 0600 and deposited car at Purple Parking Meet and Greet in the short stay car park. No issues, apart from having to wait a while for lifts particularly to avoid overcrowding in a car.
Headed to First Wing where temperatures taken and forms handed out for collection at gate (it is the short form pictured a few posts above in this thread). Bags checked in by somewhat disengaged agent (despite my attempts to make conversation) and then a race between two of us going through FW security and another who tackled the ordinary security line. He made it just a few minutes after us (comparing the experience with that of STN, mostly because of late middle-aged chap with Irish accent who refused to comply with the instructions of security staff). We all made use of Galleries Club (oh for the heady heights of GGL...one day, perhaps).
Lounge lightly loaded and food ordering worked effectively with no cap on number of orders. Bacon rolls better than I remember from the past.
Off to the walkway for departure from B45. Forms handed over with boarding passes (no OLCI for this flight) and some people pulled to one side who claimed not to have been given form at check in.
Easy boarding, by groups of row numbers and no fighting for overhead space. Seems that there must have been plenty of no-shows as Expert Flyer had been showing completely full plane a few hours before. Our party member in 10F gained an empty middle seat.
1A and 1C had no problems with overhead locker space (no loose items of clothing allowed as part of Italian regulations - not sure what happens in exit rows and bulkhead for this, but since it’s high summer it was academic).
At BLQ, plane followed the airport’s Lamborghini “follow me” car in Italian flag colours (only in Italy...). Disembarkation seemed less stressful as crew asked passengers to remain seated until row number called. Steps at front and back. Across tarmac into terminal and no queues at passport control. Bags arrived shortly afterwards. Lots of staff on duty directing people out of the airport - almost got shown out before getting to Avis desk!
Car collected and out of the airport within 35’ of landing.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Hi,
now in venice
Thanks for the info - Ms Flatlander and myself are off to Venice in a couple of weeks so this entire thread is very useful. I'm glad to hear mask usage is fairly consistent but pragmatic (i.e. when around people and when you don't need your mouth for anything else).

Off topic again, are major attractions (it's our first time, so we want to tick off some of the major sights) book-ahead or show-up-and-queue ?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by flatlander
Thanks for the info - Ms Flatlander and myself are off to Venice in a couple of weeks so this entire thread is very useful. I'm glad to hear mask usage is fairly consistent but pragmatic (i.e. when around people and when you don't need your mouth for anything else).

Off topic again, are major attractions (it's our first time, so we want to tick off some of the major sights) book-ahead or show-up-and-queue ?
doge's palaces is book online or suffer a huge queue. Campanile might be the same. Some churches are open others are not.rialto bridge is uncrowded and free. Enjoy!
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

At 9am today Sunday the queue to buy tickets for doges palace went round the corner. Maybe 10 people in the tickets purchased online queue.

Last night at about 7PM large queue outside the campamile to go up as it was a beautiful evening. Not sure about crowds today as I went for a walk round Castello with a quick look at the outside of the arsenale and to San Pietro di Castillo and Sant elena past the biennale with virtually deserted streets and mainly locals out.

Now back at the Hilton cooling down as it is hot outside (lying on my bed and looking across at the campanile in the distance across guidecca canal in the foreground and all the canal traffic going up and down)
I'm here till Saturday so will do the palaces midweek

Probably do rialto at sunset tonight

Regards

Tbs

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 9, 2020 at 7:46 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.