Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's assume Europe bans Americans....

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed, I got confirmation that a non EU+ national without residency permit would not be allowed in France.
TIMATIC has now been clearly updated.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:29 am
Original Member

Does anyone know if a UK passport holder who has been in the US for the last couple of months can enter the EU after doing 14 days quarantine in the UK? I have some elderly relatives that I am considering visiting.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by leroy11
Does anyone know if a UK passport holder who has been in the US for the last couple of months can enter the EU after doing 14 days quarantine in the UK? I have some elderly relatives that I am considering visiting.
Yes, a UK passport holder who has been in the USA can enter the UK subject to the current rules about self-isolation. After the self-isolation you would be able to travel to the EU. Of course getting back to the USA would not be possible under the current rules.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:34 am
Original Poster

American Airlines throws in the towel:

Newsroom - American Airlines Resets International Network for Remainder of 2020 Through Summer 2021 - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:54 am

I think on balance a risk based, fairly dynamic approach to travel restrictions (ie regularly reviewed) is the most sensible way to proceed. But the lack of certainty this provides makes it almost impossible for airlines and customers to plan ahead and means more airlines will follow AA’s path.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
Yes, a UK passport holder who has been in the USA can enter the UK subject to the current rules about self-isolation. After the self-isolation you would be able to travel to the EU. Of course getting back to the USA would not be possible under the current rules.
Why would getting back to the USA not be possible? I am an UK passport holder living in the USA and plan on visiting the UK briefly in August before returning to the USA. As a legal permanent resident (Green Card holder) I am entitled to return to the USA. There are other well-documented exemptions that would apply. The main restriction is that entry under the VWP isn't allowed for people who have been in the EU / UK (and other countries) within the 14 days prior to entering the USA. If flying then you also need to enter the USA via one of 15 designated entry points. There isn't a blanket ban on UK passport holders travelling to the USA.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I think on balance a risk based, fairly dynamic approach to travel restrictions (ie regularly reviewed) is the most sensible way to proceed. But the lack of certainty this provides makes it almost impossible for airlines and customers to plan ahead and means more airlines will follow AA’s path.
I agree. I read the press release as AA effectively cutting back on less well-performing routes over the next 12 - 18 months, consolidating its Asia traffic through DFW, and leveraging its partnerships with other OW airlines. Demand is currently through the floor and it makes commercial sense to align the schedule / resources accordingly. I think a lot of international traffic to and from the USA will be following a hub and spoke model whereby you fly into places such as DFW and then onward to your final destination. I think the days of 3 x BA flights to LAX on top of those offered by AA will be gone for a while. For places like PHX where AA is looking to restart services from this winter (and supplementing the daily BA service) I'm even less confident that this will happen. I can probably see one or the other operating a daily flight but, again, it could be 2 x daily but with PHX operating as a hub with other direct flights curtailed and passengers transiting through PHX.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Why would getting back to the USA not be possible? I am an UK passport holder living in the USA and plan on visiting the UK briefly in August before returning to the USA. As a legal permanent resident (Green Card holder) I am entitled to return to the USA. There are other well-documented exemptions that would apply. The main restriction is that entry under the VWP isn't allowed for people who have been in the EU / UK (and other countries) within the 14 days prior to entering the USA. If flying then you also need to enter the USA via one of 15 designated entry points. There isn't a blanket ban on UK passport holders travelling to the USA.
Yes, poor choice of words on my part. In my defense I wasn't commenting on the OP's question at that point. I should have said "...getting back to the USA may not be as straightforward under the current rules".

You're right that legal permanent residents are excluded from the Presidential Proclamation of which the full list of exemptions may be found here:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

As you will know, it's not just people traveling on visa waivers that are affected but many other visa categories too. In our case we are here on long term visas (E-1) through my UK company but these are not exempt and we would not be permitted to return to the USA from the UK.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by golfmad
There seems to be a gaping hole in the rules: currently anyone, even from the US, can enter the UK and they only need to self-isolate until they leave.

So the next day they can fly to the EU. There are apparently no restrictions travelling within the “EU+“ regardless of your nationality/residence.

The UK’s inclusion in EU+ and therefore the open European borders (which all EU holidays are relying upon) was based on UK/Ireland aligning with the EU’s third country policy. Yet now we are an open doorway?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by pauldb
There seems to be a gaping hole in the rules: currently anyone, even from the US, can enter the UK and they only need to self-isolate until they leave.

So the next day they can fly to the EU. There are apparently no restrictions travelling within the “EU+“ regardless of your nationality/residence.

The UK’s inclusion in EU+ and therefore the open European borders (which all EU holidays are relying upon) was based on UK/Ireland aligning with the EU’s third country policy. Yet now we are an open doorway?
This isn't quite correct, as if you're allowed into the UK/Ireland you are still outside of Schengen and will go though border control when entering any Schengen country. You will then still have to meet the requirements for entering Schengen.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by greg5
This isn't quite correct, as if you're allowed into the UK/Ireland you are still outside of Schengen and will go though border control when entering any Schengen country. You will then still have to meet the requirements for entering Schengen.
Agreed and the EU border control will very likely know when one entered the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.