Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin downgraded - options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Cabin downgraded - options

Hi Guys
Apologies if this has been covered before.
Booked to fly in August, First out, Club return. Got an email saying flight out has been downgraded to Club (aircraft change, I think).
Not particularly happy, as this is a celebratory trip, and looked forward to the lounges (if they are anything like they were before).
Are we entitled to a partial refund, and will it simply be the difference between the ticket prices at the time?
Are we entitled to a total refund, or would the flight have to be cancelled for that?
We also paid to have seats in the upper part of the 747 on the return flight, so presumably BA can’t keep that.
Irrespective of this, we were offered the voucher a couple of weeks ago. Whilst this isn’t the end of the world, I’m concerned that prices may change over the next year or so, and we would be expected to fork out more cash to do the same trip.
Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Did you book with cash? Or with Avios or other frequent flyer miles? Was the booking made direct with BA?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by robaardvark
Hi Guys
Apologies if this has been covered before.
Booked to fly in August, First out, Club return. Got an email saying flight out has been downgraded to Club (aircraft change, I think).
Not particularly happy, as this is a celebratory trip, and looked forward to the lounges (if they are anything like they were before).
Are we entitled to a partial refund, and will it simply be the difference between the ticket prices at the time?
Are we entitled to a total refund, or would the flight have to be cancelled for that?
We also paid to have seats in the upper part of the 747 on the return flight, so presumably BA can’t keep that.
Irrespective of this, we were offered the voucher a couple of weeks ago. Whilst this isn’t the end of the world, I’m concerned that prices may change over the next year or so, and we would be expected to fork out more cash to do the same trip.
Thanks for any advice.
I had exactly that scenario recently - downgraded from F to J on one sector. I was offered a re-route but I asked for a refund for the whole return trip instead and there was no problem - it was processed within a few days. It was a cash booking made directly with BA.

Last edited by SilverSkier; Jun 24, 2020 at 9:39 am Reason: Add more information
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 provides a reimbursement of either 30 or 75% of the base air fare (percentage dependent on distance covered by the flight). So you could take that and fly in CW.

While the Regulation does not require a reroute or a refund, BA is unlikely to put up must of a fuss and will likely accommodate a reasonable reroute or a refund if that is what you wish.

What is your routing and what are the alternatives?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
I believe that in theses circumstances BA regard this as a cancellation rather than a downgrade.

So you will be able to get the cancellation options offered - full refund, reroute, date change etc. but you will not get the 75% compensation offered. Some members have reported challenging this through CEDR or the courts.

What I’m not clear on is whether the Covid cancellation policy would apply which would allow a date change right up to the validity of the ticket, which reading the original post could be beneficial to the OP.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Do you want to take the trip still?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I believe that in theses circumstances BA regard this as a cancellation rather than a downgrade.
Yes, this is a cancelation, so all of the options associated with one are available to the OP.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP may have to pursue this through CEDR or possibly even MCOL, but if he is willing to sit in CW, he will have a relatively simple claim for EC 261/2004 downgrade reimbursement should BA deny it initially. Whether that is 30% or 75% of the base fare will depend on the distance covered by the flight.

I would do the arithmetic calculations first. 75% of an expensive F segment base fare might be a tidy sum.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input, guys.

Did you book with cash? Or with Avios or other frequent flyer miles? Was the booking made direct with BA?
Cash

Originally Posted by SilverSkier
I had exactly that scenario recently - downgraded from F to J on one sector. I was offered a re-route but I asked for a refund for the whole return trip instead and there was no problem - it was processed within a few days. It was a cash booking made directly with BA.
Excellent. Sounds fair.
Originally Posted by Often1
EC 261/2004 provides a reimbursement of either 30 or 75% of the base air fare (percentage dependent on distance covered by the flight). So you could take that and fly in CW.

While the Regulation does not require a reroute or a refund, BA is unlikely to put up must of a fuss and will likely accommodate a reasonable reroute or a refund if that is what you wish.

What is your routing and what are the alternatives?
LHR-DEN. Any rerouting would be a pain

So you will be able to get the cancellation options offered - full refund, reroute, date change etc. but you will not get the 75% compensation offered. Some members have reported challenging this through CEDR or the courts.

What I’m not clear on is whether the Covid cancellation policy would apply which would allow a date change right up to the validity of the ticket, which reading the original post could be beneficial to the OP.
Thanks

Originally Posted by KARFA
Do you want to take the trip still?
To be fair, not this August.

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Yes, this is a cancelation, so all of the options associated with one are available to the OP.
Cool

Originally Posted by Often1
OP may have to pursue this through CEDR or possibly even MCOL, but if he is willing to sit in CW, he will have a relatively simple claim for EC 261/2004 downgrade reimbursement should BA deny it initially. Whether that is 30% or 75% of the base fare will depend on the distance covered by the flight.

I would do the arithmetic calculations first. 75% of an expensive F segment base fare might be a tidy sum.
worth considering.

Again, really appreciate the input.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Delta Platinum medallion
I’ve got a Sept 1 LHR>DEN holiday booked and have zero expectation that it will go ahead. Denver isn’t one of the approved international gateways and I can’t see it changing before then. It’s still showing a 747 on 1 sep.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Just to update this for anyone else in a similar position.

BA offered full refund without any question or objection. Can’t argue with this, as it suits us to rebook on our own terms. Fair play. 👍

Thanks to all for advice.
KARFA, ermis177 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.