Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, IHG, AA,

All

a good few friends who work for BA in different departments have had the nod to return to work from Friday onwards,

looks like more staff from cockpit and cabin crew have also been asked to return,

great news for this great Airline

lets get those planes flying again

BA5E, Grande Annee, paulaf and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 12:57 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Isn’t this because the unions won’t agree to more furlough rather than any large relaunch.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Isn’t this because the unions won’t agree to more furlough rather than any large relaunch.
Yes.

Pilots were never away this month to be ‘recalled’ in the first place. Some Cabin Crew may or may not be on furlough in July, depending on negotiations, very little to do with restart of operations.

We’ve all known that there is an increase in flights in July for a while, so, yes more people will obviously be working. There is, however, no mass recall of operational staff.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My own estimate is that BA is going from around 5% of services today (and that's a charitable reading) to about 15% (again charitable) on 1 July to 25% on 16 July. Clearly if some travel corridors are allowed from 4 July (unconfirmed) that will greatly help matters, but the restrictions for India, USA and Canada are almost as crippling.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:22 am

Unite have now agreed to extend furlough
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Furlough has been agreed for July and also further if needed by BA.

Staff in different areas have been being recalled already. In some areas like ground staff, they have been trying to share out furlough for staff who want to work.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:46 am

Guess we will see later what gem the union come out with about BA making totally legal use of the furlough arrangement. Maybe the union will even talk to BA but that would be too much to expect in between them trashing the BA brand as opposed to taking some constructive actions for their membership.
mguinness and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I am not persuaded that Unite are Trashing the Brand. BA senior managers have achieved all the trashing without help from Unite.

So many times we read on FT about managerial cock-ups, which are only rescued by staff. But even staff can only go so far,.............
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by N181DN
great news for this great Airline
Highly subjective statement there!
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Bs65
Guess we will see later what gem the union come out with about BA making totally legal use of the furlough arrangement. Maybe the union will even talk to BA but that would be too much to expect in between them trashing the BA brand as opposed to taking some constructive actions for their membership.
The union agreed the furlough.

Len and Alex have agreed to talk under certain conditions which have been agreed by both sides.
Tobias-UK, squawk and krispy84 like this.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Jun 24, 2020 at 6:12 am
Old Jun 24, 2020, 4:55 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
The union agreed the furlough.

Len and Alex met and have agreed to talk under certain conditions which have been agreed by both sides.
Progress at last. Some better news, is good to hear that they are now talking
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They haven’t actually met but exchanged correspondence, discussions will only take place if BA agree to Unites two conditions.
That the starting point for any such discussions are members’ current terms and conditions, not BA’s proposals which have already been rejected by 99% of members, and that any agreement reached would be subject to a ballot of the relevant Unite membership.
Skimo, u01sss3 and Edina like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
They haven’t actually met but exchanged correspondence, discussions will only take place if BA agree to Unites two conditions.
That the starting point for any such discussions are members’ current terms and conditions, not BA’s proposals which have already been rejected by 99% of members, and that any agreement reached would be subject to a ballot of the relevant Unite membership.
I read the (IMHO badly worded) letter the TU sent to the employees yesterday. To me that's a non-starter. It proposed a method to analyse T&C changes that was more complicated than legislating in the EU, something with different branches having to discuss, then cross-branch agreements being agreed, then an overall thing... Reading it I thought two things: 1) not realistic 2) I can see that the TU is trying to preserve WW/EF and BASSA. That's not going to happen, BA have decided that this is the time for them to be merged into a single fleet and rightly or wrongly they will do that.
krispy84 and mguinness like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I read the (IMHO badly worded) letter the TU sent to the employees yesterday. To me that's a non-starter. It proposed a method to analyse T&C changes that was more complicated than legislating in the EU, something with different branches having to discuss, then cross-branch agreements being agreed, then an overall thing... Reading it I thought two things: 1) not realistic 2) I can see that the TU is trying to preserve WW/EF and BASSA. That's not going to happen, BA have decided that this is the time for them to be merged into a single fleet and rightly or wrongly they will do that.
Why do you constantly just talk about cabin crew. There are thousands of legacy staff at BA and most are not cabin crew!
cbagent, Edina and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Why do you constantly just talk about cabin crew. There are thousands of legacy staff at BA and most are not cabin crew!
If only the unions realised that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.