Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
They do and are representing their own groups of staff, it’s only those who are fixated on legacy cabin crew only focus on them.
flygirl68 and Edina like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
They do and are representing their own groups of staff, its only those who are fixated on legacy cabin crew only focus on them.
Unfortunately that couldn't be further from my experience - zero representation and refuse to answer any questions put to them, just regurgitate the same stats that only relate to cabin crew.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Why do you constantly just talk about cabin crew. There are thousands of legacy staff at BA and most are not cabin crew!
The problem with the English language is that I can't quite understand if the "you" here is "me" or "you all" in the Texan sense of the term. If it's "me", I'd like to point out that I try not to talk only about crews. I wrote about my former team, which is scheduled to be slashed from 80ish to less than 20 based on the 'consultation', and about CLC and FMU, which will effectively cease existing, on this very forum. I have to say that no one gave an absolute tosh about either of those. And I've written about Gatwick ground staff.

Having said that, there is merit in talking about legacy crews: one, because they're the most visible of those whose jobs are at risk (thousands of people went in the HQ, between IT and other roles, and more will go too, and barely an eyebrow rose on the press or elsewhere); and secondly because they're the largest cohort of employees at risk. I certainly bear no grudges against WW/EF crews: in my time at in the company I've had a few scrapes with some individuals but who doesn't? And it leaves 99.9% of the community who's made of great people.
flygirl68 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bs65
Maybe the union will even talk to BA but that would be too much to expect in between them trashing the BA brand as opposed to taking some constructive actions for their membership.
They've certainly taken advantage of social media for doing that over the months and years. All become rather silly.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFX1764
Unfortunately that couldn't be further from my experience - zero representation and refuse to answer any questions put to them, just regurgitate the same stats that only relate to cabin crew.
Forgive me I dont understand, do you work for BA in another department?
flygirl68 and Edina like this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
My nephew got this.

Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:39 pm

I have read the rather overly complicated comms by Unite (via my partner) regarding the apparent conditions Unite want to start engaging. Before Im bitten for an anti-Unite comment, I will even go as far as saying maybe its just me and my intellect simply not matching Unites and therefore I cannot by any stretch of imagination comprehend their language/strategy which will enable me and my partner to keep the faith!

Whilst I know another member here has stated that you it has been agreed by both sides, are you sure this is indeed the case? Because none of the signs actually point to the fact that this proposed Unite framework has indeed been signed by both sides. Why do I think this? Well Unite still continues to regurgitate its BAbetrayal nonsense and BA continue to do their consultation video updates with the latest one for MF crew being just yesterday! The only thing I do see theyve agreed on is furlough extension...but dont think theyve actually started engaging yet?

Surely BA would have made one condition being the leverage campaign is wound down too and surely (and the only reason I can say this is because its the area I have most direct info from) they arent going to completely backtrack on merging fleets either and negotiate keeping the three separate fleets intact?

Judging by Unites actions, all I see happening is Unite finally engaging but never reaching an agreement and BA ramping up operations and then come Xmas holidays when maybe the World might be edging towards normality then itll be industrial action again...Im finding it difficult to believe that Unite intend to meaningfully consult either considering they havent thus far and only as recent as last week sent out comms asking for latest contact details in order to ensure we are fully prepared for industrial action!

All of this seems to have hit a bit of a stalemate? BA suddenly seemed to have become softer and are seemingly not in as much of a rush as their S188 letters suggest and Unite...well theyve been kicking the can down the road right the word go and of course thats what they want!

Im more than happy to be corrected and provided more accurate info of course if one actually knows this and can share Sure the other half would appreciate as would I vicariously!

Last edited by AirbusA350; Jun 25, 2020 at 12:40 am
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by AirbusA350
I have read the uber twisted and poorly written comms (again) by Unite (via my partner) regarding the apparent conditions Unite want to start engaging. Before I’m bitten for an anti-Unite comment, I will even go as far as saying maybe it’s just me my intellect simply doesn’t match Unite’s and therefore I cannot by any stretch of imagination comprehend their language/strategy.

Whilst I know another member here has stated it has been agreed by both sides, are you sure this is indeed the case? Because none of the signs actually point to the fact that this proposed Unite framework has indeed been signed by both sides. Why do I think this? Well Unite still continues to regurgitate its BAbetrayal nonsense and BA continue to do their “consultation video updates” with the latest one for MF crew being just yesterday! The only thing I do see they’ve agreed on is furlough extension...

Surely BA would have made one condition being the leverage campaign is wound down too and surely (and the only reason I can say this is because it’s the area I have most direct info from) they aren’t going to completely backtrack on merging fleets either?

Judging by Unite’s actions, all I see happening is Unite finally “engaging” but never reaching an agreement and BA ramping up operations and then come Xmas holidays when maybe the World might be edging towards “normality” then it’ll be industrial action again...

All seems to have hit a bit of a stalemate? I’m more than happy to be corrected and provided more accurate info of course if one actually knows this and can share Sure the other half would appreciate as would I vicariously!
A fair summary and agree about the BA betrayal campaign nonsense which is doing nothing more than trashing the BA brand.

Instead of both parties sitting across the table as adults with no preconditions, the union especially seems happy to continue spreading sensational headlines through the press yet the longer this goes on the weaker any bargaining position may be and before know it the 12k lay offs could increase further.

It is virtually a given that BA will merge fleets as from an operational viewpoint with likely fewer routes it makes sense. It is unfortunate that the approach to force new T&C on everyone comes with a merge proposal and sympathise with those that may lose their job or take a salary hit , the company could have approached this differently but with no union interaction misinformation seems to be the rule, lead by the union.

Having said that my sympathy is sometimes tested when I see comments sometimes implied from WW/EUR which seem to begrudge their MF colleagues in the lower ranks getting even a possibility of extra salary (basic GBP 15.6k upto 17k plus not guaranteed duty/perdiem changes) for doing the same job. Add to that all the WW/EUR complaints about poetntial less down route benefits/layover time when compared to their MF colleagues. So much for one team getting the best for all.

If were me working for BA I would want this all resolved now as soon as possible, if going to fire me me then get on with it but get the impression from outside looking in that maybe BA management are struggling to reach a solution that protects the business but also doesnt put them in a corner should there be a sudden unlikely recovery.

Less anyone forgets cabin crew are only 4.7k of the proposed 12k redundancies yet nobody ever seems to talk about the majority.

Finally will not be following this thread given any negative views on the union approach seem to invite some pretty bitter responses
mguinness, revorgap and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by Bs65
A fair summary and agree about the BA betrayal campaign nonsense which is doing nothing more than trashing the BA brand.

Instead of both parties sitting across the table as adults with no preconditions, the union especially seems happy to continue spreading sensational headlines through the press yet the longer this goes on the weaker any bargaining position may be and before know it the 12k lay offs could increase further.

It is virtually a given that BA will merge fleets as from an operational viewpoint with likely fewer routes it makes sense. It is unfortunate that the approach to force new T&C on everyone comes with a merge proposal and sympathise with those that may lose their job or take a salary hit , the company could have approached this differently but with no union interaction misinformation seems to be the rule, lead by the union.

Having said that my sympathy is sometimes tested when I see comments sometimes implied from WW/EUR which seem to begrudge their MF colleagues in the lower ranks getting even a possibility of extra salary (basic GBP 15.6k upto 17k plus not guaranteed duty/perdiem changes) for doing the same job. Add to that all the WW/EUR complaints about poetntial less down route benefits/layover time when compared to their MF colleagues. So much for one team getting the best for all.

If were me working for BA I would want this all resolved now as soon as possible, if going to fire me me then get on with it but get the impression from outside looking in that maybe BA management are struggling to reach a solution that protects the business but also doesnt put them in a corner should there be a sudden unlikely recovery.

Less anyone forgets cabin crew are only 4.7k of the proposed 12k redundancies yet nobody ever seems to talk about the majority.

Finally will not be following this thread given any negative views on the union approach seem to invite some pretty bitter responses
That is nonsense. WW and EF certainly do not begrudge M/F receiving an improvement, in fact we all would really love that to be the case.

As far as I am aware, it is M/F themselves that are unhappy with some aspects of the new pay proposal, particularly CSMs who have some concerns about their hourly flight pay being incorporated in their basic pay and the loss of some of the CSM incentive bonuses that high performers received.

Honestly, I dont know who some of you are but guessing stuff and then regurgitating it as if it is fact is highly annoying to many of us who actually work for BA.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree Littlegirl, we all want MF crew to get a better deal and this is their one opportunity to do this, I find it pathetic that people try to play one fleet against another.
mrow, flygirl68, cbagent and 8 others like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:01 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Honestly, I dont know who some of you are but guessing stuff and then regurgitating it as if it is fact is highly annoying to many of us who actually work for BA.
Just this once I am totally lost for words
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Arienne du Rseau Courte Dure de British Airways
Originally Posted by BOH
Just this once I am totally lost for words
That is great to hear.
BOH and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:37 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
That is great to hear.
I don't doubt for one second that post actually IS factual
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: British Airways | Executive Club silver
i wonder if more staff will be back in the call centre
got my forward travel voucher but cant use it as nobody is answering my call keep getting the " sorry we cant answer your call right now please call back later "
do they realize that some of us are still working full time and cant sit trying to call all day ?
there should be a online option to use your ftv
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by andyh1877
there should be a online option to use your ftv
Completely off topic for this thread, but if you read the rebooking using a voucher one you will learn that a project is underway to do just that. The complexities of airline ticketing mean it wasnt possible to do in the short time available when this all kicked off and they needed a solution quickly. Im led to believe the first phase of EMD conversion should be going live the week after next.
mguinness likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.