Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Once they are one group working to one agreement, so November first, BA won’t entertain agreeing things with two unions. Hopefully BA just tell Unite To work out which union represent that single workforce.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by BOH
A BA staffer on here who worked in the terminals mentioned (and tried to defend IIRC) some of the restrictive practices and cosy little arrangements that had been negotiated by the union with BA for staff "agreeing" to move to T5 when it opened 12 years ago. They were astonishing, some to the point of extreme pettiness and made me (and others I recall) wonder why any new concessions were required for staff to simply work in a different building at the same airport.

Some of this stuff (if still in place) needs to be buried once and for all.
Any examples?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:01 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Will100
Any examples?
Probably if you search hard enough. I didn't provide the examples originally, I just remember a number of them being posted
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Probably if you search hard enough. I didn't provide the examples originally, I just remember a number of them being posted
indeed, there were “agreements” that to outsiders would seem not to be line with modern thinking. But make no mistake - these were very clear agreements between BA and their employees representatives. They were negotiated agreements. BA “management” were part of this process and must take some of the responsibility.
BA still has plenty of these types of agreement - but eradicating them all would be very interesting when it involves employees a lot further up the food chain! Level playing field comes to mind!!!
SW7London and Waterhorse like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Once they are one group working to one agreement, so November first, BA won’t entertain agreeing things with two unions. Hopefully BA just tell Unite To work out which union represent that single workforce.
That’s interesting, personally I’d have thought the opposite, that it would be in BA’s interests to retain two unions, so that in any dispute they only fall out with one at a time (and can keep the operation going). It would be easy enough to have a legacy/MF distinction, particularly with the pay differences.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:11 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Confus
That’s interesting, personally I’d have thought the opposite, that it would be in BA’s interests to retain two unions, so that in any dispute they only fall out with one at a time (and can keep the operation going). It would be easy enough to have a legacy/MF distinction, particularly with the pay differences.
Originally Posted by sxc
Now that there will be a single fleet for operational purposes, separate contracts still exist. The changes on both MF and WW sides were enacted as amendments to their existing agreements rather than new contracts/agreements (not sure what is the legal term here).

Will BASSA and MFU try to co-exist/exist separately into the future since they may argue there are still separate contracts.
This was the question I was wondering upthread. Does BASSA (and MFU) have a selfish motive in also trying to keep two branches alive in the future and are negotiating accordingly?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:12 am

A small gain, only on times of conflict. In the day to day running, it would mean differing trip constructions and only some crew able to do certain routes, problems with standbys or changes, or you have to roster everyone to the most restrictive agreement which is inefficient. Common sense dictates a single scheduling/rostering agreement, negotiated and agreed with a single union branch who then go on to represent the workforce.
BOH likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 5:48 am
BOH

Originally Posted by OhLordy
indeed, there were “agreements” that to outsiders would seem not to be line with modern thinking. But make no mistake - these were very clear agreements between BA and their employees representatives. They were negotiated agreements. BA “management” were part of this process and must take some of the responsibility.
Yes it always takes two to tango but it would have been the union / staff that would have demanded them. Yes, BA would have then agreed to them but probably had a gun held to their head as at time the pendulum was not swinging their way.

This is how it all works in these negotiations, at different times and circumstances the balance of power is either with the airline or the union. BA would be barking mad not to try and sweep away petty restrictive practices now the pendulum is right up against the stops in their favour.

No doubt at some point that pendulum will go the other way again when demand returns but I don’t see that happening in the next 5–10 years. Then we can all look forward to strikes again that are carefully optimised to hit the passengers at the start of their summer holidays. Cest la Vie
Old Oct 19, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Its an opportunity to remind the Union who's in charge.
Pay will be the only difference going forward - and BA will only want to negotiate pay rises with one group - if that union wants to argue amongst itself then they can feel free.

Maintaining two sets of Union reps is a ball ache too for the airline

And if there's just one Union and you want to do some crew searches - non of that faffing about looking for the right Union Rep to be present.

Imagine how easy agreeing this new agreement would be for BA with just one group - multiply that then for every decision.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Some of you seem to like to rubbish unions no matter what. You also comment on internal company agreements with very little actual detailed knowledge of the subject you pretend to know about.

Unions in general are very important for the working conditions and pay of many UK workers and it is a great shame in the UK that they are demonised in the way they are. Most other European countries have a much better understanding of the important role unions play and companies and union work well together and unions are not demonised in their National Press.

Some of you would benefit from taking a look at UK social and Industrial history and the Labour movement and the improvements it made for many working class people including many of your ancestors.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:02 am

Experience with Unions is very mixed in the UK I agree. Some have been dealing with them for decades and some not so much.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 4:51 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Littlegirl has a fair point about the past, and UK industrial history.

However, in 2020 with many sectors in crisis, I believe that TUs need to work with employers and customers more to create, and not destroy jobs for people.

Taking slots from BA, which will presumably be sold off to the only buyers available - Chinese airlines - looks to me to be destroying jobs.

In the mid 70s, TUs in the UK had about 13 million members. In 2019, TUs in the UK had approx 6 million members. - Roughly speaking, two thirds of them were in the public sector.
DelTroon and AirbusA350 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 7:32 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Some of you seem to like to rubbish unions no matter what. You also comment on internal company agreements with very little actual detailed knowledge of the subject you pretend to know about.

Unions in general are very important for the working conditions and pay of many UK workers and it is a great shame in the UK that they are demonised in the way they are. Most other European countries have a much better understanding of the important role unions play and companies and union work well together and unions are not demonised in their National Press.

Some of you would benefit from taking a look at UK social and Industrial history and the Labour movement and the improvements it made for many working class people including many of your ancestors.
You are right, they do have a role to play. But unions do have an appalling reputation in the UK and also to a lesser extent in France and Italy. From where I sit this poor reputation is entirely of their own making because so often their demands are wholly unrealistic and many seem to be led by ultra left-wing militants with a huge personal agenda too. You only have to look at that long running dispute on Southern Trains regarding some driver-only operation which in a nutshell the union continues to resists it as "unsafe" but many other UK train operators already operate it safely under near identical circumstances. Multiple independent risk assessments have been carried out and do not support the unions claims.

In Germany, unions are generally an integral part of the workplace and are treated differently by both employees and employers. The difference is there is engagement and they also seem to focus on the bigger picture and more medium to long term whereas UK unions seem to be more about petty disputes and preserving outdated restrictive practices.

As to our UK history and how unions improved things such as pay and conditions, yes you are right. However there also a number of industries where it is generally agreed that unions largely destroyed them by refusing to adapt, modernise and recognise that in the face of new, leaner competition that things had to change.
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 8:18 am

Pre-mixed fleet, I believe that there were two unions for cabin crew, CC89 and BASSA, so there is precedent for dealing with multiple TUs.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Littlegirl

Historically, I agree.
In my lifetime, I cannot say Arthur Scargill did much for me or my colleagues while living the life of Riley in a union funded London house.
This is an extreme example of the worst of union intransigence but Len McClusky has a similar modus operandi - "I'm alright Jack"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.