Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Recall Staff from 26 Jun [the BA staff/unions/redundancies thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I have normally seen this dispute through the eyes of the employees, as it is CC and CS that I/we interact with.

However, from an employers' point of view, surely BA will want to tackle this with some pace now? Their bank accounts and cashflow need action. Their stockholders will demand action. The managers are dealing with relatively high numbers, so they need to move legally, but with some speed, surely?

And for staff, even if they do not like the outcome, certainty must be better than just hanging on, not knowing?
AirbusA350 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Also, Other Half tells me that the latest email from IFCE seems to suggest/imply that those who remain need to take a month's unpaid leave. I haven't seen the email itself, so it could be wrong/misunderstood.
I believe HCS has been given this condition as well, a month each to be taken over the winter season.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:02 am

Having now read the email, yes, it seems to be implying that a month of unpaid leave is a condition attached to keeping a job, and that it would save hundreds of jobs. Whilst you could get behind it in principle, if I were a BA employee I'd say:
1) show me the numbers. The precise number of jobs that will be saved by doing this. And proof.
2) pro-rate it. Alex won't even notice a month missing from his payslip; a young apprentice would.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:57 am

Deleted

Last edited by Bs65; Jul 7, 2020 at 10:02 am
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:42 am

I think Mixed Fleet contracts already have the condition of a period of unpaid leave within them if the company requires?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I have normally seen this dispute through the eyes of the employees, as it is CC and CS that I/we interact with.

However, from an employers' point of view, surely BA will want to tackle this with some pace now? Their bank accounts and cashflow need action. Their stockholders will demand action. The managers are dealing with relatively high numbers, so they need to move legally, but with some speed, surely?

And for staff, even if they do not like the outcome, certainty must be better than just hanging on, not knowing?
Exactly, especially as surely now it has become clearer than ever that the Union really don't have any intention at all of genuinely trying to help their employees through this. Whilst it does seem like they're engaging collectively rather than locally, from reading other half's emails from Unite, they're still so much crap they write. Not saying in anyway BA are saints, but we can't deny that they have softened their stance a LOT from what they started with. Of course the reality is what they are presenting on the table now was probably what they wanted in reality and hoped to achieve with consultation, but clearly that hasn't happened and so here we are...Happy to be corrected of course if there is something magic wand miracle the the Union has planned.

It needs to get done with though, it's go on well over 2 months and running into the 3rd month, surely that's enough anxiety and uncertainty of not knowing already? Especially to MF, majority of who might actually want to keep their job and enjoy being crew! (disclaimer: Yet again, I can only speak about cabin crew as they are the group of people I know about)
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:00 am

So the unions are now campaigning for fewer jobs at Iberia too, saying they should have their slots reduced. 🤡
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Tottie66
I think Mixed Fleet contracts already have the condition of a period of unpaid leave within them if the company requires?
Yes, but the proposal isn’t to be stood down for a month, it’s the equivalent of 4 weeks pay spread across the season. From the blurb that’s been shared, it’s due to the expected significant drop in demand over winter season.

I’d be happy to do it, if it genuinely means an increase in the number of jobs saved. As mentioned above, it’s needs to be shown as to what it means for actual number of jobs. It also needs to be guaranteed that no overtime etc, is being paid to any select group, as that would undermine the principal of it.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusA350

It needs to get done with though, it's go on well over 2 months and running into the 3rd month, surely that's enough anxiety and uncertainty of not knowing already? Especially to MF, majority of who might actually want to keep their job and enjoy being crew! (disclaimer: Yet again, I can only speak about cabin crew as they are the group of people I know about)
The anxiety and uncertainty is affecting everyone. A lot of us on WW, and my friends on EF enjoy being crew also.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Anyway I can see this all turning rather nasty and people who thought they were friends falling out and that would be a huge shame.
There is a lot of pressure on crew/staff not to engage with the company, even though the union are not and this often comes from people who don’t wish to stay anyway and have nothing to lose.

I think personally crew need to do what they feel is right for them as unfortunately no one is currently negotiating on their behalf.
I really agree with this. I think everyone accepts there will be redundancies and some things need to change, but it's a shame there is no collective drive to find a solution that helps the business and it's employees. There's no point saving every job if the company ceases to exist. Losing slots won't help improve things!

It's also a shame that it's not just turning nasty, but political. Virgin have made furloughed staff redundant, as have other companies, but the transport select committee have labeled BA a national disgrace for trying to consult.

BA say the section 188 notice is a legal requirement, Unite says it's unlawful. Surely the select committee can make a ruling one way or the other and get things moving in the right direction. It's all staff, not just crew, who are stuck in the middle and facing uncertainty.

​​​​​

Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
BA have moved into a 1-2-1 type consultation and have sent out an email tonight, to various areas of the company, saying that individual personal emails will be sent out to ask staff their preferences and offering 1-2-1 meeting to discuss this with a manager.

They are still open to discuss the consultation with the union but looks like they are stepping things up and staff will be asked to choose their preference to stay or go basically.
So for those who tick the want to stay box would they need to provide some sort of justification why the company should keep them on such as what skills they bring to the business and the 121 is part of that discussion..
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You have no clue what is going on, the way BA are handling this they will not have enough people who want to stay.
flygirl68, wrp96 and Tottie66 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by Bs65
So for those who tick the want to stay box would they need to provide some sort of justification why the company should keep them on such as what skills they bring to the business and the 121 is part of that discussion..
Yes, they will be scored on a number of areas and skills they bring the business is one area and the application has a section, apparently, that crew can list their skills. Points will be allocated for skills like languages, champions, SMEs (subject experts) trainers, recruiters etc. etc.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Or just have a pulse.
wrp96 and Tottie66 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I remain very puzzled by the TU approach. In the past, (OK, distant past), I have dealt with Unite and its predecessors all over the UK. I have never dealt with BASSA.
Whatever the issues, including far more redundancies than BA are making, Unite has been able to make a deal.

Now BA have dealt with the early days of this with the subtlety of a brick, and with the motivation skills of Caligula, but Unite appear to responding in the same way. I detest the "Betraying Britain" lie. Am I being thick in thinking that negotiating a deal for the members is what the TU are there for? The fact that BA have made their offer "better" (if not acceptable) makes, in PR terms, BA sound reasonable!
Even Huw Merriman has withdrawn his insults to WW, in writing.
I really feel for the impacted staff!
revorgap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.