Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:18 am

My understanding is that 7 have been sold to Rossiya. G-BYGA/B/C/D/E/F/G set to transfer during October and November.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by BigDogg
My understanding is that 7 have been sold to Rossiya. G-BYGA/B/C/D/E/F/G set to transfer during October and November.
Makes sense. Cheap but capable aircraft. Cheap oil prices to compensate for extra fuel. Prob a lot cheaper than buying/leasing a brand new a350-1000. Be interesting to see whether BA’s decision would have been different if they hadn’t hedged their fuel bill....
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:51 am

Showed the kids the 747 they did their very first flight to LA many years back. Was amazed to see that they understood the sadness of it being their first and now everyone's last flight. I thought they might see it a through more utilitarian eyes.

Same with my last Concorde flight. I remember loosing my silver concorde flight tag at Shiphol and thinking ... not to worry will go again in a few months. Alas non of us ever did.

And the stories that started and ended on BA 747's during the 90's and 00's for me at a slightly younger and les accountable time are now lost to be just memories. Up until a few weeks back I could see the tail numbers and reflect on those stories for a minute. Now like T1 and the stories that could tell, they are gone. Sad.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Same with my last Concorde flight. I remember loosing my silver concorde flight tag at Shiphol and thinking ... not to worry will go again in a few months. Alas non of us ever did.
You mean the business card sized thing made by Links? If no, it’s not silver, and munch too ‘bling’ and big to be of much use as an actual luggage tag. I was given one on a flight around 2000? maybe. That plating has come off in places and it has corroded a bit.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
This is great news, saved plus some cash going BA’s way
Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:19 am

After reading this article https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...f-b468625.html I'm convinced BA have really missed an opportunity in not doing some farewell 747 flights and under estimated how popular a flight to no where on one would have been if done right.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
glad BYGC is to live on in some form.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
glad BYGC is to live on in some form.
I'm very glad that any of them will live on! Great that it'll be as many as seven - I hope that Rossiya will continue to operate them for a while to come.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
At last, after so many decases, we will see the FIRST cabin operated as Super Business Class under Rossiya; Super Business is a more adequate term for the BA FIRST product on the 747-400s
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:10 am

I’d imagine these aircraft will be reconfigured. A High-J configuration isn’t the most efficient use of real estate, given that these aircraft will almost certainly spend their second lives on routes like Antalya and Phuket.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
I have flown Rossiya a few times on internal Russian flights - eight hours between Moscow and Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, basically flying over forests. Currently they use ex Emirates B777 which they repainted but the interiors are just old Emirates (plastic wood, etc). Biggest issue is the IFE never works as they did not acquire the licenses for the systems. Rossiya is a subsidiary of Aeroflot and so controlled by the Kremlin so do not think fuel prices will be a concern.
These old birds will fly for many years to come and I am sure the interiors will remain so you can experience 64A or 1A/F across Siberia.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
CIVP crossed the pond in record subsonic time in February. Now its heading for the scrapheap.

Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You mean the business card sized thing made by Links? If no, it’s not silver, and munch too ‘bling’ and big to be of much use as an actual luggage tag. I was given one on a flight around 2000? maybe. That plating has come off in places and it has corroded a bit.
Yep was a month or so before Y2K as it goes but no was in shape of concorde and was handed out with the Y2K Smithson's packs.

Can't say as I remember the details so much, was more the expectation that I'd be on board again shortly and get another and never was.

I guess it might be a Y2K specific like the first week BA A380 sleep suits on the HKK flight?

Not so bothered about the trinkets (although know a lot of folks collect them ... indeed have flogged a good few of the specials on ebay) but the emotions of the flight/plane and ending of.

Unlike some of the folks on the thread, I see it as way more than a lump of metal. I have some outrageous memories, stories and experiences of that time and era of travel .... the 90's and cross over into early 2000's were the great age of travel and travel experiences for me. Still good now but more grown up and restrained. :-)
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Currently they use ex Emirates B777 which they repainted but the interiors are just old Emirates (plastic wood, etc).
Rossiya have 5 ex-EK 777s and 5 ex-SQ 777s which they have kept in their two class and three class configurations respectively. Rossiya also have 9 747s - 8 ex-JL and 1 ex-SQ. The ex-JL aircraft have been reconfigured into a two class high density configuration, whilst the ex-SQ aircraft retains its original three class configuration.

Where aircraft are in a three class configuration, the ex-F cabin is sold as J+.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:34 am

G-CIVP pushes back for her last flight to DGX.
Genius1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.