Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to retire entire B747 fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
My first 747 flight (and second overall) was on QF as a toddler in 1978. My first long haul trip in J was on a BA 747 in 1988 (seat 15A). Both have today ended an era.

I left home on an SQ 747. A few years later - first time in the royal box on the same airline. Three flights in the nose (2 x AF, 1x LH), however not had an F flight on it yet.

Lest we forget.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Plat, Meliá Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite Plus
Over the years (since 1984), I have been fortunate enough to fly on a 747 44 times in total, across the -136, -236 and -436 variants, and when it comes to the 747, pretty much exclusively with British Airways (although I think in the 90s, one plane was actually painted British Asia Airways).
Before the horrific events of Sept 2001, I lucky enough to have the occasional visit the cockpit, and in a couple of instances been allowed in the jump seat for take-off and landing. Certainly, good avgeek training.

Whilst many airlines have flown the 747 and to a less extent still fly the 747, for me personally, I consider it a true icon of British Airways. I am sure I am not alone in thinking this, with the attention British airways has given it, from the fabulous liveries of the past reused at the centenary, through to its use alongside the red arrows at air shows (a role previously reserved for Concorde). In 2003, the 747 replaced Concorde as their flagship (flagplane?)

My first flight was a 1984 to Boston (-136) in an old style club seat, but I remember hearing stories of how in the past the upper deck was a lounge area for first passengers.

After more flights over the years, there was a bit of a gap, where for a few years I always seemed to find myself on a 777. But in 2018 I got to travel again on the 747 to YVR on my honeymoon. Extra special because at T-72 we managed to assign ourselves 1A (with my wife in 1K), eventually arriving in Vancouver before the pilots upstairs .

My last flights were the return LHR-JFK on my first tier points run in December 2019, on the Upper Deck, with the extra special 64k on the outbound. (A picture, that reading this thread has got to be one of the most snapped).

However, for me, one of the most memorable moments was at BGI in the 90s, where there was no air bridge and disembarkation from the plane was via stairs. As one of the first leaving the aircraft, I remember the doors opening and the wave of heat hitting me as I walked down the stairs, thinking how remarkable the plane looked so close up on the outside.

It is fair to say, even after the refurbishments, the fleet was looking a bit tired inside, and I am sure both from an environmental and financial point of view, retirement makes sense. Whilst sad, does not take away from the history of this great aircraft.

In the age of digital photography and video, I will look back with fondness. From the multiple trip reports on YouTube, some fantastic historical photos in this forum, through to a great BA D-check video I recently enjoyed watching.

Wishful thinking given the current financial situation, but I would love to see a couple of these BA 747 aircraft kept, if not flown. They found room at LHR, JFK, other airports and museums for a Concorde (which admittedly was more unique in terms of airlines flying it and numbers), but it would be great to find room for a BA 747 somewhere, especially if it has a low scrap value.
I would like to think 17 years from now, we could be trundling down the runway on a 797 or A360, with its sight still a reminder of the impact the 747 has had on aviation. Alternately we can just spend our time plane-watching at world cargo!

I know they didn’t ask, but If BA are looking for some other ideas, I have a some

There is a very unique hotel in Sweden:
JumboStay Hotel Arlanda. A few of these style hotels could make booking a “flight + hotel” with BA holidays very interesting.

Someone has built a house from the wings of a 747:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/747_Wing_House. How about the new head office architecture, should Waterside be closed for the 3rd runway at LHR in a few years.

Finally, how about some G-BNLJ style luggage tags as customer gifts alongside the wash bag and pyjamas .
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:38 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Sad to see this happen so suddenly. So my repatriation flight CPT/LHR on 4 June appears to have been the last passenger carrying flight of a BA 747.

Here is the CPT view of that trip.

And the trip report is here.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Will never forget my first premium flight sat together in 1A/K in the nose to Mexico for our honeymoon in 2016. Booked with a 241, and the start of getting sucked into avios, flyertalk, Ex-EU and B2Bs, allowing us to fly around and enjoy the world together, including many trips in the upper deck. Many special memories, and this special plane will be missed.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:42 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
The fact that this is now on the BBC must mean that this is an irrevocable decision. What a damn shame!
The BA statement leaves the door ever so slightly open - it's "proposing to retire the entire fleet" and says "unlikely will ever operate commercial services again". There could be a surprising sudden upturn in air travel meaning it's not irrevocable but realistically it's going to be curtains and it can only be a good thing for anybody or anything that exists outside of the upper deck bubble.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Only flew UD on the 747 once, when I was about 10. Just going up the stairs seemed magical. We have a LHR-MIA return booked for September and that was due to be the missus’ first experience on the UD. It’s a real shame but I can understand BA’s decision.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:46 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
End of an era! And sure, they were outdated - give me an A380 or Dreamliner any day - but I'll never forget that feeling of first taking a trip in 64A/K (after hours of diligent Flyertalk research), or taking off the first time in 1A/K and totally freaking out by the noise of the wheels coming up
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, whatever is saved on the Sky box
No more Mid J with zero wifi can only be a positive as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's a pity it took a global crisis to force the airlines' hands, but the planet will be a slightly better place without these horribly inefficient old planes.

The aircraft itself isn't horrible though: it's one of the very few that I can identify (the others being the A380 and Concorde). I'd put it in the same box as those beautiful locomotives of the 1960s and 70s that have now been replaced by almost-indistinguishable fuel-efficient trains.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Always wanted to fly in 1A, but they subbed the airport on the occasions I booked that seat (the crew let me sit in it just to see what it was like, after landing, on one flight, so I've got that).
Did get to fly in 64A and K though

Yes it was old, rattly, tired in places, but the 747 still has that certain something about it and some character.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: BA
Sadly they will not be returning.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by V10
The BA statement leaves the door ever so slightly open - it's "proposing to retire the entire fleet" and says "unlikely will ever operate commercial services again". There could be a surprising sudden upturn in air travel meaning it's not irrevocable but realistically it's going to be curtains and it can only be a good thing for anybody or anything that exists outside of the upper deck bubble.
The decision will be irrevocable. The standards Captains and senior trainers are being moved to other fleets, and the simulators decommissioned. The consultation is about which fleet they will move too.
BA is rather concerned that they may lose a number of key people from the training department in 1 go, and are trying to mitigate that possible circumstance.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 2:08 am

Last flight was 113 to JFK on 8 January, never imagined it'd be the last! It was also my first in 1A...sure glad I had the chance. Glad I took a picture of the retro livery, too, if it hadn't been for the mess at the gate I probably wouldn't have!

I think the 787 F layout is better, but the view from the front of the 747 on approach was awesome, looking at the horizon through the A and K side windows which are so close to each other up there really gave a great sense of the motion of the aircraft, and I was looking forward to coming into SJC on the big bird this summer.
Genius1 and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 2:10 am

I am not sure I have the lingual dexterity to put into words the impact this will have.

For me, a frequent traveler on BA 747s on JFK-LHR (12-15 times per year, sometimes ex-PHL or BOS but the overwhelming majority being JFK) usually in the UD in 64K preferably, with the odd bump to F, it will be a very great loss for what has become routine to sleep across the Atlantic. Of course, it was a dated aircraft, a bit loud, inefficient, had a very poor F product (I don't understand the 1A/K thing), and I daresay rather grim if not in J/F, but it has great memories for me personally. Arriving an hour before departure, getting to sleep not much after the gear has been retracted and being woken up 20 minutes to landing in London is something that was always possible for me in the bubble. It was an environment where (most) passengers knew the deal - get settled quickly and bed down for the night - and arrive refreshed and ready to go in the morning.

Those of us who find themselves in T7 with any dose of frequency will know the hubub of the terminal as the shuttles across the Atlantic are being prepared to depart - the 747s seemingly peering into the terminal watching what was going on. This was always something that gave me the buzz to step aboard yet another flight, despite being so routine.

It will now be a rather difficult choice now who to choose to cross the Atlantic from NYC since the majority of LHR bound aircraft will be 777s/767s (BA, AA, DL, UA) and they are not preferable compared to the restful nature of the bubble. I do not care for AA on night flights since they insist on waking you up 1 hour prior to arrival to collect headsets, UA despite Polaris leaves from an airport that is more challenging to get to, DL does not have great frequency and not to forget VS which is a carrier that lacks onward connectivity. It will be interesting, to say the least, what becomes of the flagship route.

I was never one for the "experience" - all I need is a simple and calm way of crossing the Atlantic getting some decent sleep and preparing for the day ahead in London or further afield. The 747 achieved this in so many ways, and was typically crewed by experienced hands who understood their passenger profile.

To the posters upthread saying it is an end of an era - indeed it is.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm not surprised by this, but I am still a little saddened by the end of the 747 in most passenger fleets, now including BA.

As you all wax nostalgic about the upper deck Club seats, spare a thought for the people down the back. With the end of the 747 and the A380 unlikely to return soon, more and more people in Traveller seats will be in the high density 787 or densified 777 - a very uncomfortable and unhealthy experience. Great for BA's profits, not so great for the passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.