Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Details of BAs crew wage proposal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:07 am

I may have missed something in this and other threads, but I don't recall seeing mention of Gatwick crew. Are they involved in this at all? Are BA proposing a single pool of cabin (and flight deck?) crew covering both LHR and LGW?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by RGS5526
I may have missed something in this and other threads, but I don't recall seeing mention of Gatwick crew. Are they involved in this at all? Are BA proposing a single pool of cabin (and flight deck?) crew covering both LHR and LGW?
LGW cabin crew are being managed by the Gatwick Leadership team. The proposals look quite similar although the pay levels don’t seem the same, they seem to be lower.
The other difference is that LGW is shrinking a lot more than LHR and therefore a lot more crew will be made redundant sadly..
They are offering VR as at LHR but I don’t know the details of that.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:31 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by JFX1764
https://twitter.com/GavNewlandsSNP/s...166789633?s=20

70% cut when proposed pay was £24k = Legacy crew earning £80,000

50% cut when proposed pay is £28k = Legacy crew earning £56,000

That quite a difference, why is there so much inaccurate information out there that the unions are using/promoting (BASSA shared this tweet)
Well I wonder which is correct? These levels of salary for EF/WW crew are flatly, totally denied by CC in the media. Yet one of their own unions spouts figures of between "50% and 70% pay cuts" for them if they are forced on to the MF level of between £24k to £27k.

The maths are pretty simple to work out here, it isn't advanced differential calculus or anything. Someone is telling porkie pies.......
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
Well I wonder which is correct? These levels of salary for EF/WW crew are flatly, totally denied by CC in the media. Yet one of their own unions spouts figures of between "50% and 70% pay cuts" for them if they are forced on to the MF level of between £24k to £27k.

The maths are pretty simple to work out here, it isn't advanced differential calculus or anything. Someone is telling porkie pies.......
We have crew on different fleets, different pay scales, different part time contracts, different ranks. They can both be correct, one for one person or one for many.
1Aturnleft and MarkFlies like this.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68
We have crew on different fleets, different pay scales, different part time contracts, different ranks. They can both be correct, one for one person or one for many.
But you're missing the point of the quote...

70% cut when proposed pay was £24k = Legacy crew earning £80,000

50% cut when proposed pay is £28k = Legacy crew earning £56,000

Which is it?
​​​​
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:23 pm

So does that mean there are cabin crew earning £80K then?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
So does that mean there are cabin crew earning £80K then?
I don’t know any. But I don’t tend to ask my colleagues what they earn.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I agree your first paragraph Littlegirl but your second in my opinion is not correct, I only know of one person who is considering staying.
So could this become a real problem for BA or will the Mixed Fleet numbers be enough to keep going for now?

It’ll be sad to have no EF or WW crew continuing with BA, so much experience and passion lost. From what you guys are saying it seems like only an odd few will stay.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Anyone else shocked that cabin crew only get £24k

Id always imagined they would get about £40k.

A supermarket delivery driver gets 24. That is truly shocking!
Long time flyer 60 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by hungry

Supermarket delivery drivers sadly don’t earn anything like that amount, £18k is far more likely given the pay is around £9.50 an hour and they clearly don’t get paid for breaks.

A nurse in the U.K. will start on 25k and rise to the cap of about 30k after around 5 years. That’s after doing a three year degree, taking on close to £50k of debt and working 12.5 hour shifts day and night in a hospital, quite literally saving lives. An extra £15k a year over a nurse’s starting salary for a job that needs no qualifications and takes six weeks to train to do? £40k would even be beating the first few years of a doctor’s career (which is another discussion entirely...)

I understand that that isn’t how money works in practice, and it can be useful to benchmark against other salaries, just be very careful. Most of the public would, I suspect, be staggered to learn that there are cabin crew earning far more than most of the NHS/police/fire service/military personnel.

Better argument would be to focus on how on earth someone can reasonably expect to live in London with a basic of £16K, no one will rent rose you based on that in the vicinity of Heathrow, let alone give you a mortgage.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by Rexan; Jun 21, 2020 at 1:52 am
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by hungry

And even that is not guaranteed so if not rostered for flights which is not in their control then no chance of reaching that. Plus they have to pay for food down route which obviously can be pretty expensive in some countries. People will say that have to eat at home but how many people realistically eat out all the time on that income as well as paying rent etc..
Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Bs65
And even that is not guaranteed so if not rostered for flights which is not in their control then no chance of reaching that. Plus they have to pay for food down route which obviously can be pretty expensive in some countries. People will say that have to eat at home but how many people realistically eat out all the time on that income.
they don’t eat out all the time. They buy food at supermarkets or in sone cases take food with them in their suitcase (DELSEY Dining)
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Rexan
Supermarket delivery drivers sadly don’t earn anything like that amount, £18k is far more likely given the pay is around £9.50 an hour and they clearly don’t get paid for breaks.

A nurse in the U.K. will start on 25k and rise to the cap of about 30k after around 5 years. That’s after doing a three year degree, taking on close to £50k of debt and working 12.5 hour shifts day and night in a hospital, quite literally saving lives. An extra £15k a year over a nurse’s starting salary for a job that needs no qualifications and takes six weeks to train to do? £40k would even be beating the first few years of a doctor’s career (which is another discussion entirely...)

I understand that that isn’t how money works in practice, and it can be useful to benchmark against other salaries, just be very careful. Most of the public would, I suspect, be staggered to learn that there are cabin crew earning far more than most of the NHS/police/fire service/military personnel.

Better argument would be to focus on how on earth someone can reasonably expect to live in London with a basic of £16K, no one will rent rose you based on that in the vicinity of Heathrow, let alone give you a mortgage.
Well said!

anybody who thinks cabin crew are on 40k, is completely out of touch with reality. 40K is a very good salary in the UK. Paramedics, for example save lives for a living, and don't get paid anywhere near 40k. I absolutely love BA cabin crew though
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by A P Yu
they don’t eat out all the time. They buy food at supermarkets or in sone cases take food with them in their suitcase (DELSEY Dining)
OK so I was making a generalisation to stress the point that so many people think it’s all expenses paid jolly with a 4 star hotel and meals thrown in as opposed to in many cases membership of the pot noodle club simply to try and retain as much of their salary or any allowance as possible. Taking food from home assuming not falling foul of any import restrictions or a supermarket shop are always options that you can see becoming even more favourable given BA pushing per diem and tweaking / reducing duty/ flying hours as part of the OTE salary ‘increases’ for MF or decrease for WW/EUR. Guess crew should be happy they at least according BA get the major benefit of a free uniform to spill their pot noodles on .

Last edited by Bs65; Jun 21, 2020 at 3:06 am
Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:59 am

I don’t know any. But I don’t tend to ask my colleagues what they earn.
Fair enough, although it is not unusual in the workplace to know what our peers are earning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.