Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Unite members have near zero confidence in BAís CEO

Old Jun 18, 20, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Not really sure of where to put it - or whether to post it at all - but apparently Unite polled its members on a vote of no confidence in Alex Cruz. 15,000 responded and the vote was passed wit 99.1% of voters saying they have no confidence in him. Sure, it's the TU and it's one side of the argument and whatnot but it's not exactly a shining endorsement of Alex and his "leadership".
Old Jun 18, 20, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
I also read this from today:

Staff have been asked to ready themselves for a ballot over a walkout in protest at the airlineís bid to axe 12,000 staff and switch remaining workers to cheaper contracts.
I really hope BA arenít plagued by strikes when they return. This will just push customers over the edge and really cripple the airline.
Old Jun 18, 20, 5:05 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
And how much confidence do staff have in Unite? Can't see why it's much higher; they have done an absolutely terrible job of representing BA staff.
Old Jun 18, 20, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
That really would be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. The airline (both BA and the industry generally) is already on its knees through no fault of its own. Industrial action at the moment (i.e. while very few flights are operating) would be largely symbolic. However, to subject the travelling public to further disruption once some semblance of normality has been restored probably wouldn't be well received. I would be spitting feathers if my future travel plans were jeopardised due to strikes or work to rule or whatever. I have a lot of sympathy with BA staff as things stand but to go on strike (again) would be pushing it. The union really would be shooting itself and its members in the foot if it goes down this road.

As an aside, can you actually / legally go on strike while furloughed?
Old Jun 18, 20, 5:23 pm

Programs: Bronze, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Well at least BA will be able to get replacement crew fairly quickly from all the other airlines laying off people. IAG will just call the unions bluff. They will be able to use the spare capacity of Iberia and Aer Lingus in the mean time. If the unions do not want to talk then what else do they expect, at least the pilots are talking.
Old Jun 18, 20, 5:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro View Post

I really hope BA arenít plagued by strikes when they return. This will just push customers over the edge and really cripple the airline.
It has often been said on here that BA's staff have no bargaining. Perhaps, that is not wholly the case...

BA only has itself to blame if it ends up plagued by strikes once things start to return.

Edit: I see it's The Sun that's the source of these stories. I will believe it when I see it then.
mrow and BAeuro like this.
Old Jun 18, 20, 5:37 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
It has often been said on here that BA's staff have no bargaining. Perhaps, that is not wholly the case...

BA only has itself to blame if it ends up plagued by strikes once things start to return.

Edit: I see it's The Sun that's the source of these stories. I will believe it when I see it then.
Yes unfortunately I only saw it mentioned in The Sun, but who knows it could be true.
Old Jun 18, 20, 9:12 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob

I understand (might be wrong) that only mixed fleet crew are being rostered at the moment? So any strikes by WW are not going to affect operations that much?

I'm not sure if Unite can get all branches of BA striking all at the same time which would be the only way to make an impact.
Old Jun 18, 20, 9:31 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Not really sure of where to put it - or whether to post it at all - but apparently Unite polled its members on a vote of no confidence in Alex Cruz. 15,000 responded and the vote was passed wit 99.1% of voters saying they have no confidence in him. Sure, it's the TU and it's one side of the argument and whatnot but it's not exactly a shining endorsement of Alex and his "leadership".
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Do you have a quotable source?

EDIT:
Unite members thinking AC is not rubbish is up there with Len voting Tory.

Last edited by krispy84; Jun 18, 20 at 9:38 pm
Old Jun 19, 20, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
I understand (might be wrong) that only mixed fleet crew are being rostered at the moment? So any strikes by WW are not going to affect operations that much?

I'm not sure if Unite can get all branches of BA striking all at the same time which would be the only way to make an impact.
The email I've seen makes no mention of strike action, but it's pretty clear that there's no trust at all. I think both WW and MF are being rostered, mainly volunteers. However, everyone in the crew community is being un-forloughed for July, although rosters have nothing but availables and standby. Even LGW is being unfourloghed although no flights are planned. Reasons for this aren't fully clear, or at least this is what I'm being told. Not sure if ground staff, office staff or Engineering are being un-fourloghed.

Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Do you have a quotable source?

EDIT:
Unite members thinking AC is not rubbish is up there with Len voting Tory.
It's an email sent by Unite, shown to me by the OH and other friends. Unite also covers, if I'm not mistaken, Engineering and ground staff, so not just crews.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 20, 1:42 am

A lot of staff are losing their jobs and careers because of the restructuring, and being unable to sign the new contracts because of where their family and life is established. Some of them have no interest other than to cripple the airline after the way they have been treated. I would expect industrial relations to be sour for quite some time.
Note, I am retired and have no skin in the game. My 2 family members both turned down BA when they were offered jobs, and are feeling rather happy about their decisions
Old Jun 19, 20, 1:56 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Can we also understand what Unite's level of confidence is in the leadership of their own union? Purely in an interest of obtaining a balanced view on here.
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by SonTech View Post
Well at least BA will be able to get replacement crew fairly quickly from all the other airlines laying off people. IAG will just call the unions bluff. They will be able to use the spare capacity of Iberia and Aer Lingus in the mean time. If the unions do not want to talk then what else do they expect, at least the pilots are talking.
Perhaps or perhaps not. I have no idea on what the government policy on wet leasing will be after the UK leaves the EU. If there is no trade deal this may or may not be permitted. BA would have an immense problem training the staff from other airlines, and would they even get work permits?
BA seem to be upsetting Government, staff and customers all at the same time. I can see this ending badly.
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Can we also understand what Unite's level of confidence is in the leadership of their own union? Purely in an interest of obtaining a balanced view on here.
You can by checking the number of employees who are unionised, I guess.

As always, reality is grey: of those I know, many aren't 100% satisfied with their TUs, especially in MF Unite or GMB. And they've been less than impressed with some of the campaign stunts. The 'whatsapp chat' was widely defined as childish by most BA friends I'm in contact with. However, I do think that the TUs' strategy is working: BA is in the centre of the public eye, attracting some unwanted attention, and - from absolutely denying even the thought of VR, as per their original fire-and-rehire - now is offering it.

Going back to leadership, what worries me for the future of the airline (and although I'm no longer part of it I still care about it, as perhaps no other company I'll work for), is the deep gulf between its workforce and leadership. I know of people who have been the face of the airline: not just in the ads, but also during every single call-out for volunteering, every disruption, every trial, every extra-work that needed doing. People who volunteered for pay cuts after 9/11, after 2008: even they are demoralised. One such person was telling me the other day "I realise that BA just doesn't give an absolute [expletive removed] about any of us. For somebody who has worked 20+ years in the airline and has seen and done everything (including being assaulted on the job) but always defended it... it's a deep-meaning thing. BA was ran on a lot of goodwill. It isn't perhaps visible, but behind the surface of the day-to-day activities there were lots of people going beyond the confines of their job description to do an extra bit, and I knew a lot of them. Now all these guys and girls are feeling utterly deflated: I dread to think of the implications when they'll start swiping in and out, getting the monthly paycheck and doing the bare minimum.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 19, 20 at 8:38 am Reason: To align with rule 16
Old Jun 19, 20, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
The email I've seen makes no mention of strike action, but it's pretty clear that there's no trust at all. I think both WW and MF are being rostered, mainly volunteers. However, everyone in the crew community is being un-forloughed for July, although rosters have nothing but availables and standby. Even LGW is being unfourloghed although no flights are planned. Reasons for this aren't fully clear, or at least this is what I'm being told. Not sure if ground staff, office staff or Engineering are being un-fourloghed.
Everyone is currently showing as unfurloughed as no agreement has been reached with the Trade Unions to continue beyond the end of June. Furlough could well be back on if agreement is reached.
revorgap likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: