Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Citizenship by Naturalisation - Absences from the UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Citizenship by Naturalisation - Absences from the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
Has anyone tried the idea (which I have seen described in another forum) of asking the Home Office what data they have about you and then submitting the travel history back to them, thereby making the data submitted exactly match the data they have?
x

Last edited by cafeamsterdam; May 2, 2021 at 5:20 am
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
If you had applied for indefinite leave to remain before your passport application, you'll automatically have this information. Just need to top it off with the previous one year history.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cafeamsterdam
Have been looking at this, although not submitted yet: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-immigration You can request a copy of "Entry and exit into and out of the UK. Your travel history can be provided for the past 5 years if a passport or travel document is submitted for this period"
I have heard that for EU citizens that this information tends not to have been held onto and that those who have made the requests find quite often that the information is not available. Others have reported success so YMMV!
cafeamsterdam likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I have also done this not so long ago.

From memory, you online need to state trips that are over 2 nights or so?

Plus, the online forms runs out of space after 30 or so entries. So, similar to you, I feared I'd be adding hundreds of lines but it actually didn't allow me to go back further than a year or two. And I had no issue - i.e. despite the fact that I couldn't go back further than said 30 (or so) trips over a year or two, it all worked out in the end.
jotaele likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It doesn't really matter if your list is exhaustive. And you can go way over the days limit as long as you were legitimately travelling for business. The main point is to ensure that you aren't pretending to have 5 years of residency whilst you were actually living and working elsewhere. Nobody at the Home Office is really spending the time to check...
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by craigthemif
And you can go way over the days limit as long as you were legitimately travelling for business. The main point is to ensure that you aren't pretending to have 5 years of residency whilst you were actually living and working elsewhere.
Do you know (or know where to find out) how far over the days limit one can go whilst travelling for business?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Do you know (or know where to find out) how far over the days limit one can go whilst travelling for business?
Can go as high as 900 days total, but this is discretionary.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...olicy-guidance
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
In case this is useful for anyone in the future please find below the current requirements (as of June 2020) for the British Citizenship by Naturalisation online process regarding absences from the country:

To meet the residence requirements, you must have been in the UK:
  • for at least 3 years if you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen
  • for at least 5 years if you are not the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen
  • on the first day of the 3 or 5 year qualifying period (the required period of time)
You must not have:
  • spent more than 270 days outside of the UK in the 3 year period, or 450 days in the 5 year period
  • been outside the UK for more than 90 days in the last 12 months
  • been in the UK illegally in the 3 or 5 year qualifying period
You do not need to tell us about trips of 2 days or less. For example, if you leave on Monday and return on Tuesday, this does not count as an absence.
If you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen, provide details about trips from the last 3 years, otherwise provide details from the last 5 years.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Going through the online form now, as per the info on #19 can confirm that the system will only take information for 30 flights, what a relief...
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by jotaele
Going through the online form now, as per the info on #19 can confirm that the system will only take information for 30 flights, what a relief...
I'm doing this as well at the moment, but I think you will need to provide the full list for three or five years as an attachment. Go to the UKCEN forum for detailed information and help.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
im still a year from being able to apply but this thread has reminded me to start getting this travel info since in lockdown i do have time to handle more personal admin!

having gotten my BA history, it was a bit alarming to see all the data but also to see i have actually been on 205 flights in four years? and thats just on BA, not even accounting for all my AA flights! here i thought i had been on a downward trend the past few years.

but when i applied for my visa, yes the form only accepted 30 entries but my immigration lawyer still had me compile the 5 year list regardless in the instance they would ask for it.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by jotaele
I thought the form has an option somewhere to supplement additional information. I think you'll be expected to provide the remaining information here

At least for my indefinite leave to remain, that is what I had to do/was expected to do

I always go with the approach of giving more info than giving less info...
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kosy91
I thought the form has an option somewhere to supplement additional information. I think you'll be expected to provide the remaining information here

At least for my indefinite leave to remain, that is what I had to do/was expected to do

I always go with the approach of giving more info than giving less info...
At the end of the online form there is a section where you can provide 500 chars of any additional information you think could help in the application process. I provided the rest of my flight history that way which is way faster than having to fill every input form for each of the 30 previous flights.
kosy91 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 1:29 pm

So happy we did this back when we did. The tips from others so far would have been super useful back then. :-)

I am not 100% sure this is a requirement still but what caught lots of people our previously was you had to physically be in the UK at the beginning of your 3/5 year qualifying period. So if you applied on 1 July 2020 you had to physically in the UK on 1 July 2017/2015.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by cliffy97
I am not 100% sure this is a requirement still but what caught lots of people our previously was you had to physically be in the UK at the beginning of your 3/5 year qualifying period. So if you applied on 1 July 2020 you had to physically in the UK on 1 July 2017/2015.
This is the most important (and ridiculous) thing. Make sure you use a courier that has date-certain signed-for confirmation so they RECEIVE the application on a day that you know for certain you where in the UK exactly 3/5 years prior. Get this wrong and your application is void, no refunds.

When I submitted mine I used BA97 and created a spreadsheet that did the calculation and summed up the days out of the country - outbound minus inbound minus 1. Then just did the sum for the last year and the last 5 years. Went through my work calendar, BA timeline and photos to ensure I captured everything and got the occasional Eurostar trip etc. Printed and attached the spreadsheet to the form. Had to do the same for my other half. Painful. Must be a nightmare for cabin crew! They should really just change it to a box to tick stating that you have not been out under penalty of perjury, but it's all designed to make it difficult on purpose. TBH I thought they had changed it already to something easier, but clearly not!

Btw some (all?) local authorities provide a service where they check your application to make sure there are no errors and it's valid and submit it for you. Worth it to make sure you don't slip up on something random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.