Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade using Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade using Avios

Hi. When making a standard commercial booking over the phone with BA, can you do a UUA and also use Avios to reduce the cost on that same booking? Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve made the booking on BA.com, reduced the price with Avios and then called to UuA. Works fine. Never tried to reduce price using Avios on phone - unsure if it’s possible
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:33 pm

They have told me in the past I cannot use Avios to reduce the price on the phone
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I’ve made the booking on BA.com, reduced the price with Avios and then called to UuA. Works fine. Never tried to reduce price using Avios on phone - unsure if it’s possible
Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:44 am
Original Poster

I just called BA to check and they say the two things can't be combined. Now I'm confused?!
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can book a flight only on line and reduce the cost with Avios. Then call and apply an upgrade using Avios, they do not prevent each other. You can't use Avios to bring down the cost of a flight + car or flight + hotel.

Just crack on with it or the Reward space might disappear! And if it all goes wrong... which it won't .... you can cancel all in the cooling off period for 24 hours
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You can book a flight only on line and reduce the cost with Avios. Then call and apply an upgrade using Avios, they do not prevent each other. You can't use Avios to bring down the cost of a flight + car or flight + hotel.

Just crack on with it or the Reward space might disappear! And if it all goes wrong... which it won't .... you can cancel all in the cooling off period for 24 hours
What you're saying is allowable is exactly what they said no to. Maybe it's a case of who picks up the phone.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
What you're saying is allowable is exactly what they said no to. Maybe it's a case of who picks up the phone.
I would just second mikeyfly's advice, book it online using part pay with avios, then call to do the UuA. One does not prevent the other.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks . Seems like a consensus.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Thanks . Seems like a consensus.
Some of the trouble you may be having is the wording you use when you call. Avios and money (or avios and cash) is a redemption ticket with money being used to reduce the avios normally required — it cannot be upgraded with avios. Avios part payment is a cash ticket with avios being used to reduce the cash cost of the ticket — it can only be accomplished online and it can be upgraded with avios or GUFs after the ticket is purchased. More information on the nuances of each can be found in the appropriate parts of the Guide:
Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:05 am
Original Poster

I managed to do this with no problem this afternoon. F to YVR. For positivity I HAD to make a booking instead of multi cancellations!! 😁
KARFA and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
I've a bit of a strange query. I've booked in BA WTP to Doha and would like to UUA to business class. There's no BA availability but is it possible to UUA on a QR flight with a BA WTP ticket?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by u01sss3
I've a bit of a strange query. I've booked in BA WTP to Doha and would like to UUA to business class. There's no BA availability but is it possible to UUA on a QR flight with a BA WTP ticket?
No.
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No.
Thanks for letting me know.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.