Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting US authorized airports from LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Transiting US authorized airports from LHR

Flight LHR to YVR cancelled. It is possible to route LHR to DFW for example on AA and then from there to YVR the next morning, technically. I reviewed the government website as to whom is allowed to enter the country but transiting is not entering (unless it is). Entry is prohibited from the UK but the proclamation carves out exceptions but does not clarify transiting passengers. Comments and thoughts? I can also wait for the next round of LHR to YVR flights that are now available from July 16 onward if I choose to wait.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I don't think the BA board is qualified for entry rules and regulations. There's a decent thread with a fair bit of into here :Entry restrictions / reopening per country
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also have a look here https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm, reading it I don't see how you would be allowed to transit.

As there is no airside transit in the US for INT-INT it doesn't surprise me that there isn't any provision made for it.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Personally I'd leave it a few weeks, until nearer departure time. You're only allowed one free rebooking per cancellation and things could well evolve in the next few weeks. A key aspect will be if the Canadian government open their borders, which doesn't affect you but does affect the number of viable flights. I think the land border restrictions are due for review on 21 June for example.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:04 am

There is no such thing as ‘international transit’ in the US, you have to clear immigration. This applies even if reboarding the same aircraft (e.g LHR-LAX-AKL or CDG-LAX-PPT). Therefore I don’t see how there would be any exemption to the current entry clearance rules for it.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by testycal
Flight LHR to YVR cancelled. It is possible to route LHR to DFW for example on AA and then from there to YVR the next morning, technically. I reviewed the government website as to whom is allowed to enter the country but transiting is not entering (unless it is). Entry is prohibited from the UK but the proclamation carves out exceptions but does not clarify transiting passengers. Comments and thoughts? I can also wait for the next round of LHR to YVR flights that are now available from July 16 onward if I choose to wait.
There is no airside in-transit concept in the US (excepting some odd procedure at MIA). Therefore you will have to enter the US and the go through security again. Assuming you have a UK passport that means applying for an ESTA. These are currently being cancelled as API data are sent to the US pre-flight. All of this means that you will most likely be denied boarding. If you do make it on board there is a high degree of likelihood you'll be denied entry and put on the next flight back. Remember, there is no way for CBP to control what you do once you've been admitted. You could just head off into the sunset...
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:27 am
Original Poster

My go to flights to YVR avoid the US so that I have almost no experience with US airports. Thank you for input.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There is no airside in-transit concept in the US (excepting some odd procedure at MIA). Therefore you will have to enter the US and the go through security again. Assuming you have a UK passport that means applying for an ESTA. These are currently being cancelled as API data are sent to the US pre-flight. All of this means that you will most likely be denied boarding. If you do make it on board there is a high degree of likelihood you'll be denied entry and put on the next flight back. Remember, there is no way for CBP to control what you do once you've been admitted. You could just head off into the sunset...
Even at MIA you still have to pass immigration and enter the USA. The only difference there is that your bags can be checked through onto your next international flight, rather than collect them and take them through customs as you do everywhere else in the USA
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:37 am
Suspended

My go to flights to YVR avoid the US so that I have almost no experience with US airports. Thank you for input.
Just wait and see what happens...good luck

Originally Posted by omk298
Even at MIA you still have to pass immigration and enter the USA. The only difference there is that your bags can be checked through onto your next international flight, rather than collect them and take them through customs as you do everywhere else in the USA
Got it, thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I think your best bet might be through a Canadian airport or European point, the US does not seem like a good option right now - as you will have to enter the US and that will likely be denied, unless you have an exemption. Are BA running any flights to Canada on your dates? If you are all on one ticket BA will rebook you onward with AC. I think the interlines and other agreements with WestJet have been cancelled.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
What you propose is certainly not allowed. As others have noted, there is no sterile transit in the USA, and so you would have to be admitted under the VWP even for an onward international connection. So unless you have a qualifying exception, you would not be allowed onto the LHR-DFW flight under the current restrictions. Why not travel via YYZ instead?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miguel0881
What you propose is certainly not allowed. As others have noted, there is no sterile transit in the USA, and so you would have to be admitted under the VWP even for an onward international connection. So unless you have a qualifying exception, you would not be allowed onto the LHR-DFW flight under the current restrictions. Why not travel via YYZ instead?
I will likely re book as of July 16 onwards as loads seem to suggest they have enough "eligible' Canadians/Permanent Residents to make the flights work financially and if these flights are cancelled if I am incorrect I will request a flight with Air Canada (LHR to YVR) which I believe is within my rights although I could request that now should I want to ensure an earlier travel date.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 3:05 pm
Suspended

You list your location as Vancouver, so if you are a citizen or PR, you’ve got nothing to worry about (other than flights operating). Otherwise your entry is very much in question.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You list your location as Vancouver, so if you are a citizen or PR, you’ve got nothing to worry about (other than flights operating). Otherwise your entry is very much in question.
Canadian citizen...just getting there is the problem direct through LHR
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:30 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Canadian citizen...just getting there is the problem direct through LHR
Hong Kong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.