FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA lounges : COVID-19 closures and reopenings (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2019720-ba-lounges-covid-19-closures-reopenings.html)

HFHFFlyer Jun 15, 2020 10:40 am

BA lounges : COVID-19 closures and reopenings

Does anyone have any insight or views on when BA will start to reopen its lounges. I am not asking about capacity issues and social distancing, just when the lounges will actually return to service.

I had heard that the First Wing and the GF would both reopen on 1 July but I can’t say my source is the most reliable. He works for BA and normally gets it right about 80% of the time.....

nufnuf77 Jun 15, 2020 10:49 am

I have no idea but would hope CCR will reopen Aug 1 or Sept 1... can't wait for travel to restart. Just booked another QR trip for July :)

rockflyertalk Jun 15, 2020 10:53 am

A guess would be in line with the UK Govs reopening of the hospitality industry around the 4th July. So the 1st could well be right.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am

In some other posts on this issue I suggested it would be a week or two after Step 3 which is currently down for 4 July. I doubt Step 3 can be brought forward (though Step 2 effectively was) since there is a review ongoing for the physical distancing guidelines and that needs to complete in enough time for the hospitality sector to work out the operational implications. Having said that, I've been through the Statutory Instruments, and it's not clear that lounges are forbidden: there are interdictions on places selling food and drink, and private members clubs too, but not specifically airport lounges. Since the doors of the CCR are open to all* and no charge is made for the food and drink therein, it may not be illegal to open on 1 July.
Spoiler

SpeedbirdLHR Jun 15, 2020 11:16 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer (Post 32458194)
Does anyone have any insight or views on when BA will start to reopen its lounges. I am not asking about capacity issues and social distancing, just when the lounges will actually return to service.

I had heard that the First Wing and the GF would both reopen on 1 July but I can’t say my source is the most reliable. He works for BA and normally gets it right about 80% of the time.....

Current timeline is not 1 July

nufnuf77 Jun 15, 2020 11:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 32458224)
In some other posts on this issue I suggested it would be a week or two after Step 3 which is currently down for 4 July. I doubt Step 3 can be brought forward (though Step 2 effectively was) since there is a review ongoing for the physical distancing guidelines and that needs to complete in enough time for the hospitality sector to work out the operational implications. Having said that, I've been through the Statutory Instruments, and it's not clear that lounges are forbidden: there are interdictions on places selling food and drink, and private members clubs too, but not specifically airport lounges. Since the doors of the CCR are open to all* and no charge is made for the food and drink therein, it may not be illegal to open on 1 July.
Spoiler

Love the spoiler ;)

Tobias-UK Jun 15, 2020 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR (Post 32458266)
Current timeline is not 1 July

Are you able to expand? I do appreciate you may not be able to, and that’s okay too :tu:

Speedbird989 Jun 15, 2020 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by tobias-uk (Post 32458425)
are you able to expand? I do appreciate you may not be able to, and that’s okay too :tu:

🇺🇸

nufnuf77 Jun 15, 2020 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird989 (Post 32458446)
🇺🇸

How beautifully hidden - does this include CCR?

Simon Schus Jun 15, 2020 7:19 pm

I assume Arrivals Lounge at LHR will be out of service for a while! (particularly because I’ve heard of reopening lounges with showers seem to have closed the showers)

nufnuf77 Jun 15, 2020 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Schus (Post 32459368)
I assume Arrivals Lounge at LHR will be out of service for a while! (particularly because I’ve heard of reopening lounges with showers seem to have closed the showers)

I think as very long and tiring itineraries are more likely in covid-flight-deprived era showers are needed more than before. And with lower pax number they should have plenty of time to clean and disinfect... go figure!

sxc Jun 15, 2020 11:20 pm

So if the lounge offering is similar to pre closure, you could have better food in the lounges than onboard?

Andrew35K Jun 16, 2020 9:56 am

I wouldn't mind only sealed food and beverage containers (small bottles of wine and spirits), as long as the First Wing opens up again soon.

TyneTraveller Jun 16, 2020 11:40 am

My guess would be early/mid July for one lounge to be opened, perhaps two at a push numbers depending. I can actually see arrivals opening up fairly soon afterwards too. First would be the most obvious choice initially, with the terrace potentially used for the usual CCR passengers. I imagine everything will be table service, no matter what one's status may be.

It also remains to be seen how any form of hospitality would yet be worked in airports where the operators have a policy of mandatory face masks.

I'm pretty confident in stating that lounges in the UK will not be opening for hospitality on the 1st July though.

SpeedbirdLHR Jun 16, 2020 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK (Post 32458425)
Are you able to expand? I do appreciate you may not be able to, and that’s okay too :tu:

I can't say anything more, but once details are finalised then the relevant information will be shared.