Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pitiful [pre and in-flight F service to SFO]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pitiful [pre and in-flight F service to SFO]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by LCY8737
The miscalculation is, that you assume they care about their reputation. The way BA are currently treating their employees and the public beating they are getting for it shows pretty much that reputation is not high up on their list of priorities.
In pure, hard business terms why should they care?

There simply won't be a commercially significant number of people who avoid BA because of the catering, or indeed how they treat their staff.

Tickets will still be sold on the basis of price, convenience and corporate contract...
Old Jun 16, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
the intent behind offering prepackaged foods is simply down to prevention of shared plates/dishes/utensils.

think of buffets, salad bars, the help yourself roll section of waitrose you get the picture. it was not to imply you cannot serve a single meal to individuals (ie restaurant style) like AA and other airlines do.

this is down to cheapness combined with minimal crew exposure. on the latter of course, there is the same exposure to bringing you one tray with all the dishes as there is bringing a cheap box.
wrp96, allturnleft, ENTP and 1 others like this.

Last edited by VSLover; Jun 16, 2020 at 1:05 pm
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
In pure, hard business terms why should they care?

There simply won't be a commercially significant number of people who avoid BA because of the catering, or indeed how they treat their staff.

Tickets will still be sold on the basis of price, convenience and corporate contract...
In the very short term, in pure hard business terms agree they can get away with it for the reasons you cite

Nonetheless given the unprecedented situation, BA may need/want to influence government policy in the foreseable future. Anything from state aid, other subsisdies, helping protect its under utilsied slots, etc could be anything they need support on.

Treating people the way they have, and it being so public, would make any government support harder than otherwise to garner
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by VSLover
the intent behind offering prepackaged foods is simply down to prevention of shared plates/dishes/utensils.

think of buffets, salad bars, the help yourself roll section of waitrose you get the picture. it was not to imply you cannot serve a single meal to individuals (ie restaurant style) like AA and other airlines do.

this is down to cheapness combined with minimal crew exposure. on the latter of course, there is the same exposure to bringing you one tray with all the dishes as there is bringing a cheap box.
Or perhaps they are following the UK Government official guidance?:

”Reduce on-board service to the minimum necessary to ensure comfort and wellbeing of passengers and limit the contact between crew members and passengers.

Ask passengers to remain seated as much as possible.

Consider additional measures, such as:
  • limit duty free or other non-essential product sales on board and accompany these with procedures to minimise the contact between crew and passengers
  • reduce the food and drink service
  • use pre-packaged and sealed food and drink products ....”
Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...board-aircraft
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
How can anyone claim that the abominable offerings on board show that BA is "behaving exactly" in the "manner the government has encouraged and legislated". Reduced drink service does not mean no wine. Use pre-packaged and sealed food does not mean low grade sandwiches and kit kat bars as decent meals can have coverings placed upon them in the airport kitchens. Nope the excuse is not believable.
NoY, VSLover, passy777 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Or perhaps they are following the UK Government official guidance?:

”Reduce on-board service to the minimum necessary to ensure comfort and wellbeing of passengers and limit the contact between crew members and passengers.

Ask passengers to remain seated as much as possible.

Consider additional measures, such as:
  • limit duty free or other non-essential product sales on board and accompany these with procedures to minimise the contact between crew and passengers
  • reduce the food and drink service
  • use pre-packaged and sealed food and drink products ....”
Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...board-aircraft
I suppose when ‘cost cutting is in our DNA’ allows BA to interpret - reduce the food and drink service - to mean no alcohol and hot food! Hot food and alcohol can be served in
pre-packaged sealed food and drinks products.....but Walsh and Cruz chose not to.
I flew AA from LHR-ORD early June in J and there was a menu (reflected reduced service), alcohol, two meals - one had a hot entree. Both meals were served on one tray on with china and metal cutlery. My late May MIA-LHR sector on AA was equally impressive compared to BA’s offering.

Both my domestic sectors to and from PHL AA offered a full bar service.

I suppose it’s how the airline execs wish to interpret the guidance. This is made more interesting due to the JV AA and BA are running for transatlantic flights.

My preference will be AA on future trips ex PHL to U.K. - not that this will have any impact on BA due to the JV sharing of revenue.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
How can anyone claim that the abominable offerings on board show that BA is "behaving exactly" in the "manner the government has encouraged and legislated". Reduced drink service does not mean no wine. Use pre-packaged and sealed food does not mean low grade sandwiches and kit kat bars as decent meals can have coverings placed upon them in the airport kitchens. Nope the excuse is not believable.
But from BA’s point of view, this is the key line:

”Reduce on-board service to the minimum necessary to ensure comfort and wellbeing of passengers”

While many FTers may consider a steak and a glass of LPGS or three essential to their comfort and wellbeing, I suspect BA sees a sandwich, a bottle of chateau Harrogate and an ambient snack or two as more than meeting the requirement.
DYKWIA, flygirl68 and Stormbel like this.

Last edited by GumshoeW12; Jun 16, 2020 at 11:56 pm
Old Jun 17, 2020, 2:31 am

Sounds poor but I’m unsure why you chose BA First in the current climate as they are not offering a full First product and it was advertised on their website. I see that from 16 June they have amended their FAQ to explain that some alcohol will be available (served in miniature bottles so pour it yourself) and a pre packaged “dining” option will be on offer.

I know it’s disappointing but I do think we all need to accept that flying (whatever cabin) will not necessarily be a great experience for a long time yet and if anything will be similar to what lower cost longhaul carriers offer in their premium cabins in terms of food and drink. The extra space around the seat though is a plus so enjoy that benefit or just stick to World Traveller Plus for now as the catering will be minimal.
flygirl68 and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
I know it’s disappointing but I do think we all need to accept that flying (whatever cabin) will not necessarily be a great experience for a long time yet and if anything will be similar to what lower cost longhaul carriers offer in their premium cabins in terms of food and drink. The extra space around the seat though is a plus so enjoy that benefit or just stick to World Traveller Plus for now as the catering will be minimal.
I do not understand this logic, and I have seen it elsewhere on BAFT. For me, selection of any airline product is driven by schedule (direct if possible), hard product, price then soft product (in this order). So to say that WTP is acceptable versus an F seat is not something I can get my head around.

Furthermore, I don't travel for the experience - I travel since I need to get somewhere.

I do not say this in defense of BA or any other carrier - merely stating that substituting a flat, spacious and comfortable seat/bed with a recliner seat is not something I could justify doing (irrespective of catering/soft product offering).

I have done 5 sectors this week (all shorthaul) with another one today. The experience has been different, and the airlines I have traveled on mandated the use of face masks, so of course the experience is different. However, I need to travel, therefore I accept the requirements placed upon me by the respective airline.
LCY8737 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I do not understand this logic, and I have seen it elsewhere on BAFT. For me, selection of any airline product is driven by schedule (direct if possible), hard product, price then soft product (in this order). So to say that WTP is acceptable versus an F seat is not something I can get my head around.

Furthermore, I don't travel for the experience - I travel since I need to get somewhere.

I do not say this in defense of BA or any other carrier - merely stating that substituting a flat, spacious and comfortable seat/bed with a recliner seat is not something I could justify doing (irrespective of catering/soft product offering).

I have done 5 sectors this week (all shorthaul) with another one today. The experience has been different, and the airlines I have traveled on mandated the use of face masks, so of course the experience is different. However, I need to travel, therefore I accept the requirements placed upon me by the respective airline.
For some people travelling long-haul in F or J is their once in a year / decade / lifetime holiday treat and it is absolutely understandable that a good F&B offer is part of that.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by ENTP
For some people travelling long-haul in F or J is their once in a year / decade / lifetime holiday treat and it is absolutely understandable that a good F&B offer is part of that.
Sure, but those people won’t and/or shouldn’t be travelling now so it’s a moot point.

Right now air travel - like all public transport - is for essential use only and the F&B offer reflects that.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Sure, but those people won’t and/or shouldn’t be travelling now so it’s a moot point.

Right now air travel - like all public transport - is for essential use only and the F&B offer reflects that.
Agreed. My worry is that BA keeps this pauper's offering beyond that period, which will conclude in the coming days and weeks.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
More significant what exactly an "ambient snack" - who wrote this and what was intended?

am·bi·ent
/ˈambēənt/

adjective
adjective: ambient
  1. relating to the immediate surroundings of something
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:13 am

Room temperature?
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 4:17 am

Ambient snacks don't require a chilled storage chain. Think the famous AA snack basket- full of cheap carbs that last forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.