Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No tourist travel to US likely for “months”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No tourist travel to US likely for “months”

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2020, 3:36 pm
Suspended

I reckon the UK will be the first country with reciprocal travel again with the US. I suspect when the US does relax its entry rules it will be reciprocal, and most European states will continue to ban entry apart from the UK.

However then there is a knock on, if the UK allows in US travellers, will European nations then ban UK travellers again?

This is all such a nightmare.

I was trying to meet up with an Israeli colleague. She could fly to Greece or Cyprus. I could not fly to Cyprus or Greece cause I am British, but I could fly to Germany or Switzerland. She could not fly to Germany or Switzerland. We gave up.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
I reckon the UK will be the first country with reciprocal travel again with the US. I suspect when the US does relax its entry rules it will be reciprocal, and most European states will continue to ban entry apart from the UK.

I believe the first country will be Canada, then the UK and Ireland.

Last edited by BXK_Oz; Jun 17, 2020 at 6:37 pm Reason: Correct misspelling.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by TomMM
We are too short sighted and wrapped up on individual rights and freedoms and the concept of "the greater good" can't apply when it infringes on those rights and freedoms.
Give me Liberty or Give me Death! Come on now, every American kindergartener learned that catch phrase! At least in the 1980s. LOL.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BXK_Oz
I believe the first country will be Canada, then the UK and Ireland.
Very likely however Canada seems to be in the Australia/NZ camp of shutting down forever.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Very likely however Canada seems to be in the Australia/NZ camp of shutting down forever.
Toronto and Montreal beyond forever Surprisingly there are people flying to Canada. The study permit as essential travel loophole is hundreds of thousands of people if you can find a flight to Canada
flyingcrazy likes this.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Jun 17, 2020 at 8:29 pm
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Bob1873
If you find a U.K. insurer please post it here as far as I can ascertain no one is covering COVID19.
I shall update in due course.
The point I was really trying to make was, why would insurers expect anyone to buy a product with such a glaring exception to coverage at this time. Surely it would make sense to amend the premiums to accommodate this risk?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Bob1873
If you find a U.K. insurer please post it here as far as I can ascertain no one is covering COVID19.
See my link way upthread - Staysure is providing medical cover, AXA looks to be doing the same, and there was another in the weekend press whose name escapes me.

It'll be interesting to see how airlines handle cancellation for suspected COVID - on the one hand, they want to ensure that passengers don't fly if they suspect any risk, on the other hand, do they want to make all tickets flexible?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by miguel0881
Clearly you don’t understand the American psyche.
I was trying to be nice pal. I lived in the Mountain West for 5 years and the US for a total of 10 years. I understand the different parts of the population ok.
Just look at one poster telling people to move on....reckless and selfish. Not surprising. Another poster some time ago said the virus would simply disappear when the summer kicked in. Sad really.
In many developed countries through months of restraint and sacrifice we have this virus under control, for now. We cannot fly as we please as we will be back to square one very soon.
Back on topic - look at Australia now waiting until mid-October for international flights. This is the prudent and correct thing to do.
Brownyboy likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by stevie
Another poster some time ago said the virus would simply disappear when the summer kicked in.
You mis-spelled President.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevie
I was trying to be nice pal. I lived in the Mountain West for 5 years and the US for a total of 10 years. I understand the different parts of the population ok.
Just look at one poster telling people to move on....reckless and selfish. Not surprising. Another poster some time ago said the virus would simply disappear when the summer kicked in. Sad really.
In many developed countries through months of restraint and sacrifice we have this virus under control, for now. We cannot fly as we please as we will be back to square one very soon.
Back on topic - look at Australia now waiting until mid-October for international flights. This is the prudent and correct thing to do.
Is it really? It means the level of immunity amongst the Australian population will be much less than other countries. And come October the virus won’t simply have vanished. So do they then extend the border closure again, all the time continuing to hurt their economy? Or they open the borders and the first time someone slips through the border there’s panic?

Covid19 will be with us for a long time. We need to learn to manage a life with it in existence. I firmly believe it will dissipate and it’s potency lessen in the same way I believe there’s a greater immunity in countries that have had outbreaks than we believe. But as others have said, to shut down countries for months on end because (and I don’t mean to be callous but statistically it’s so) a small percentage of the population who are mostly elderly or have an underlying condition or are in a care setting are dying, well that’s not good governance. And in the mean time how many people are ignoring their cancer symptoms, their deteriorating mental health, the fact thousands will die due to starvation as a result of decimated economies?

A wise man once said, “the needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few”...
flyingcrazy likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
You just whack it down, one bit at a time, until it is no longer a big issue. This is potentially a more likely scenario than some 'big bang' vaccination.
Disagree. When it comes to highly infectious diseases, the most significant progress has been revolutionary rather than evolutionary. At least in the developed world in which things like mass vaccinations were financially viable.

Sure, it's never black and white. There's always evolutionary progress, too. Like new vaccines that are safer or more effective than older vaccines. But often times, progress has come in big leaps as opposed to being gradual. Think of the polio vaccines that came out in the late 50s/early 60s. The combination antiretroviral therapies vs HIV/AIDS in the mid-90s. The introduction of the yellow fever vaccine in the late 1930s. Etc.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Since the topic has evolved in such a way that it no longer belongs here due to BA-specific content, this thread has been closed.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jun 18, 2020 at 4:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.