Wiki Posts
Search

Alex Cruz responds to BA critics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:57 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Biscuittin
I do get the point now. A comparison that makes BA's treatment of staff look poor is not valid. A comparison that does not make it look poor is valid. Thank you for clarifying.
Nice try, but not related in any way with the original point on Amazon. Which to remind you was I wondered whether any person (employee / politician / customer) who are critical of BA and their staff practices quite happily shop with Amazon. It would be helpful if you acquainted yourself with that
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
I have given the slots some thought. If BA is genuinely saying they can’t employ the people for an airline of its size, then why should they keep the slots? Give them to airlines who can (and thus fly the route and aid UKs recovery) and to avoid other airlines slot hogging, have them capacity related, ie you need to fly x % load over a period, if not you lose them. If this leads to airlines dumping prices to fill the seat surely the market will take care of it by those airlines going out of business. Further restriction on those airlines which are stated owned. Simple.
Thinking along the same lines. How can they maintain the current portfolio of slots if they want to make up to 1080 pilots redundant? This figure excludes the redundancies that come about due to efficiency gains and is simply due to the reduced flying programme over the next three to four years.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diamantaire
While I understand AC was responding to critics & it is his job, at the same time BA, AC also have a responsibility towards their staff. It is these people who have also contributed to the growth & future of the airline, for which they are not getting their due. The legal aspect it one part , but what the management is trying to do is runaway from is the moral responsibilities.

He should take his millions and resign and stop talking.
Can I help you and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft
“....This is a challenge not of our making, nor one we could ever have conceived....”

It was conceivable.
I think risk managers across the board failed on this. Of course it was conceivable but everyone thought the likelihood of it occurring was low.
Silver Fox, wrp96 and mguinness like this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
I have given the slots some thought. If BA is genuinely saying they can’t employ the people for an airline of its size, then why should they keep the slots? Give them to airlines who can (and thus fly the route and aid UKs recovery) and to avoid other airlines slot hogging, have them capacity related, ie you need to fly x % load over a period, if not you lose them. If this leads to airlines dumping prices to fill the seat surely the market will take care of it by those airlines going out of business. Further restriction on those airlines which are stated owned. Simple.
The idea that BA should give up LHR slots is ridiculous. They’re an asset that BA own and shouldn’t be taken off them just because they want to make people redundant. I don’t hear MPs calling for BA to give up their A380s because they want to be smaller.

Also, LHR is favoured to LGW, so any drop in traffic can be made up by moving routes up from LGW to fill the gap. Although I do accept that they would still need a full LHR crew pool for this which won’t be the case after redundancies. I imagine they’re hoping that the 80/20 rule won’t come into effect till S21. Even then they can lease some slots to Iberia, Qatar or maybe new entrants.

There is also the argument that it is IAG who own the slots at LHR and LGW. So even if BA shrink, Level or Vueling could expand and use the free slots.
BOH likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:31 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, there are very good reasons why we had no option but to close the thread on BA’s restructuring. If the same posters continue to over-engage in here we will need to take action.

There is absolutely no need to regurgitate the same arguments here as in the closed thread.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I accept this is a huge problem for BA, same number of flights in a month they'd run in a morning normally. I accept demand may not return until 2024 and they, like many others, may need to (sadly) lay team members off.

What I can't accept is that Cruz and Walsh don't seem to have an once of empathy between them, nor that they seem to be using the situation to essentially bully the remaining staff into 'worse' contracts. That's just piss poor people management.

​​
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
In order to be a leader and not a mere manager you need a dose of charisma and ability to convey enthusiasm. I remember at one of my former employers there was a change of CEO from a rather charismatic guy to someone with the personality of your average clog. Don’t get me wrong - the replacement knew the business well, but he just did not connect nor was he a good communicator. The company was struggling, but instead of keeping employees informed and hopeful there was quiet and sudden unexplained updates to various internal policies. A lot of needless chatter and lowering of morale ensued. In a crisis this is even more important.
Reminds me very much of Carolyn McCall’s replacement since she departed as CEO at easyJet. The change from her charismatic leadership to a clog is very evident and both employees and stakeholders (customers or investors) are worse off for it.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
I wonder why ThisIsMoney was chosen as the PR outlet for making a statement after all this time?

Most of what is written in this article is, word for word, what WW has said in his public statements and interviews. It doesn’t come across as written by the BA CEO. It all seems a bit odd in my opinion.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by 1P
Another overpaid airline executive trying to justify why they prioritise dividends to shareholders over their duty to their employees and customers. Firing off at the unions is just a diversionary tactic. He must think we don't know what has been going on all these years.
This is a well run airline but by COVID. Jobs need to go.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jun 14, 2020 at 3:57 pm Reason: Rule 12
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I wonder why ThisIsMoney was chosen as the PR outlet for making a statement after all this time?
This Is Money is the Daily Mail
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by cameramaker

Eg a 5 day trip to South Africa could be cut to 3 days, like I imagine it would be on Mixed Fleet and therefore you’d need fewer crew to run these routes.
Crikey no thanks! That would mean arriving in the morning and then leaving again later the same day.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by flygirl68
Crikey no thanks! That would mean arriving in the morning and then leaving again later the same day.
Careful Flygirl, someone might suggest that would give you enough time to have a sleep, what more do you need! Oh yes, remember you also need to make enough time to get down to the supermarket to buy yourself some food to prepare, you don’t deserve to eat in a restaurant like ordinary people do, you are only cabin crew and eating in your room should be more than enough for you.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:29 am

There is no reason to remove the slots. The 80/20 rule will do that.
If BA makes so many crew redundant that they cannot fly 80% then the slots go back in the pool. Any airline that wishes to fly services, including BA can apply for them. This will aid the UK recovery far more than allow BA to sit on slots they are not using, whilst laying off large numbers of staff.
BA's actions smack of having cake and eating it.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Firing and re-hiring all staff at this point is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Cruz. For now, the unions are powerless as a strike would have no impact.

Cost will come down permanently. The new workforce will be on contracts that are so unattractive, that cabin crew is no longer a career for life, but rather something that you do for a few years to see the world. Which effectively blocks new union structures from forming.

I'm sure the guy creates a ton of bad karma for himself, will leave behind a great many heart broken crew and many passengers who will miss the good feeling of having an experienced crew member looking after them. But in the end, we should not forget that this is driven by people booking the cheapest airline, not the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.