Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Oct 24, 20, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Jun 12, 20, 5:47 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
It’s better than BA have been offering up to now in the Covid19 crisis. Be grateful for little mercies 🙂.
Why be grateful? They haven't lowered the ticket prices and if anything they will go up. What they have been offering is a complete joke up until now, and what they are proposing is simply a cost cutting measure they will likely keep into effect much longer... This is also designed to stop potential lawsuits as going forward "we have been advised of what to expect onboard when buying tickets" because its no longer the old service.

What risk is there to heating up hot food if sanitary precautions are taken (e.g. crew wearing mask/gloves and not opening tin foil)?

I wouldn't be surprised if glassware/plates etc never returns to short haul, and is removed from long haul W permanently. This stinks of cost cutting. With restaurants opening soon in the UK, and takeaway being open throughout lockdown - there has never been a risk to serving hot food if done properly. Minimizing crew contact with passengers is fine - you can still serve a full meal on one tray with everything covered up.

There is no excuse for this. Its just cost cutting.

EDIT: I wouldn't put it past them to use this semi-permanent service flow to schedule less crew on long haul flights....
ENTP and 86BA7 like this.

Last edited by CX828; Jun 12, 20 at 5:55 am
Old Jun 12, 20, 5:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I don't think they have said that SPMLs are dangerous, but their focus was clearly on getting the main box out so that 90% plus of passengers would have something to eat, hopefully others will follow in due course. In that respect it is not unique, KLM, which is the more realistic competitor than Qatar, puts out a box on each seat with a mini sandwich, stroop and water capsule - take it or leave it. Given the numbers of passengers, trying to arrange a small number of say Kosher boxes around the network is probably unrealistic at the moment.
They say they can't provide SPMLs due to safety concerns on twitter:

LH/LX offer SPMLs still.
Old Jun 12, 20, 5:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
! I'll see you in CCR soon - with my wife I hope
Tobias-UK and your wife are meeting you in the CCR? Is this the proper gossip shop to share such information - still this is far more interesting than learning about cardboard food in cardboard boxes.

I hope that all the above is extremely temporary.
Old Jun 12, 20, 5:58 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by florens View Post
They say they can't provide SPMLs due to safety concerns on twitter:

https://twitter.com/British_Airways/...339235841?s=20

LH/LX offer SPMLs still.
What safety concerns? ..... They mean rather they have amended their contract with the catering companies for the next 6 months to only include non-choice and non-hot food options.

Again, if other airlines can offer hot and or special meals and takeaway businesses can offer hot food, why can't BA? There is probably more risk to eating something cold that has been prepared, rather than something that got reheated and blitzed in the onboard oven...
Old Jun 12, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Well glad to see BA bring back adult drinks.. now the problem for me is that I have been stocking up on mini's....
food .. could not care, I myself prefer to travel on a empty stomach..and yes even the long hauls
Old Jun 12, 20, 6:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Originally Posted by CX828 View Post
What safety concerns? ..... They mean rather they have amended their contract with the catering companies for the next 6 months to only include non-choice and non-hot food options.

Again, if other airlines can offer hot and or special meals and takeaway businesses can offer hot food, why can't BA? There is probably more risk to eating something cold that has been prepared, rather than something that got reheated and blitzed in the onboard oven...
Exactly. It's prepacked in a box anyway - there is no difference with regards to safety concerns if the box includes a ham sandwich for carnivores or an avocado bagel for vegans.
Old Jun 12, 20, 6:34 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
You know I am back to OW after the quells and troubles with LH/LX refunds for covid! I'll see you in CCR soon - with my wife I hope
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Tobias-UK and your wife are meeting you in the CCR? Is this the proper gossip shop to share such information - still this is far more interesting than learning about cardboard food in cardboard boxes.

Don't be alarmed Mdme Pucci, The Lady Tobias will be there too - come and join us!
Old Jun 12, 20, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
The booze in CE, and renewing silver status becoming more attainable given that recent news (even if I have significantly less business travel) makes me tempted to pay for an upgrade for my flights in August...
Old Jun 12, 20, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7 View Post
Not the same, but actually looks pretty decent. "ENJOY YOUR MENU!" seems odd though - that would taste like cardboard
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground View Post
Where is the menu as it looks like it could be the best part of the meal ?
That was my first thought: "Enjoy your menu" - where it is, and if you do find it, is it made from rice paper?
Old Jun 12, 20, 7:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by florens View Post
Exactly. It's prepacked in a box anyway - there is no difference with regards to safety concerns if the box includes a ham sandwich for carnivores or an avocado bagel for vegans.
I think this just shows the limitation of Twitter. The safety issue was the previous catering, which allowed for SPMLs, and all of which has stopped from concerns about handling. Not so much KSML, but the other meals require some tray assembly in the galley or trolley top. So at that point the safey reason is valid. Going forward, catering is partly restored next week, but in so doing nothing yet has been done for SPMLs. Doubtless it will come but given passenger numbers I can see it would be a lot of work for relatively few passengers, so it got no focus. That position won't be sustainable in the medium term so SPMLs will come back.
Genius1 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post

I thought that's what the boardroom was for? The cabanas just aren't fit for purpose for afternoon delight

H
Old Jun 12, 20, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
These all look like chilled meals (or ambient). The nicer ones look like chilled meals, but that leads to the problem with special meals. Even small quantities of special meals can be provided if they are frozen and reheated because the storage life of frozen meals is long. The storage life of chilled meals is very short, and a low rate of specials cannot be made and stored easily.

I see this catering offering as the minimum for essential journeys - not for pleasure on a longer journey at all, especially in CW. BA isn't going to recover to its previous passenger levels with this sort of catering as well as the hassle and restrictions of the airport experience as it is.
Old Jun 12, 20, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
This is only temporary. Hardly any of us are going to be flying in the next few months anyway. Low passengers demands can't sustain a full catering product.
How interesting since BA only supply exactly what is needed for each flight.
BA was hardly the best on F&B before this pandemic and unsurprising to see them race to the bottom and sustain their position of miserly offerings right up to the bitter end.
Oh and yes the passenger loads will be low...who in their right mind would choose BA when competitors offer a vastly superior service for no additional cost?
Old Jun 12, 20, 8:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, Bamboo First, AF Elite+, AV Diamond, A3 G
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Don't be alarmed Mdme Pucci, The Lady Tobias will be there too - come and join us!
I see my post may have been misconstrued haha

It might be first time travelling to VIE from T5 in august, lets see if ccr is reopened by then!
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 9:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Hoch View Post
I thought that's what the boardroom was for? The cabanas just aren't fit for purpose for afternoon delight

H
If you think that I am going to transform the Boardroom into the Broadroom - you are much mistaken.

As for the Cabanas - I could tell you tales about much more confined area. I never thought that you could get three men in a non-social distancing situation - but trust me, I have.

It is clear that the majority of us are utterly underwhelmed by BA's performance. A box containing a meal and a minature of wine was available during the catering strike whenever that was so this is feeble as is their excuse.
bmiStar, Hoch, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread