Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:56 am

Trying to move away from Diet Coke-gate....

I did a BA longhaul in recent days into LHR in the J cabin, and this was a day flight leaving in the mid morning from the origin. It was my first time on a BA A350, but not my first time in the Club Suites product. Overall, I would say the catering was 'fine' for the flight, and in what was a relatively busy J cabin (I believe economy was near empty).

The main meal offering was presented on a tray with a tray cloth, and the options for main were an "Arabic chicken" or a "vegetable mac & cheese". I opted for the chicken. The tray had a generous and fresh salad with olive oil dressing which was rather good indeed. The main was tasty, maybe on the small side, but overall I was satisfied with the meal despite what I assume is economy style presentation in a foil tray. It was moist, tasty at altitude and satisfying. There was a side portion of bread, which was rather good to scrape up residual gravy, and a delight to get some decent bread in a long time. There was a small pot of cheeses served with grapes and walnuts - I wouldn't say this was of great quality overall, but it was served with some nice crackers. Finally, there was the signature Do&Co chocolate mousse, which is indeed always tasty. The tray had a small bottle of water and plastic cutlery provided.

Main meal - Arabic chicken

There was a secondary service approaching LHR. This was a no choice sandwich offering which turned out to be my nemesis of the chicken and coleslaw which has been spotted on BA shorthaul J. I did brave trying this sandwich again, but after one bite it had to be left. Unfortunately, it is inedible and tasteless for me. Again served on a clothed tray with a small water bottle, cookies and a Kit Kat. A poor offering, which they shouldn't have bothered (in my opinion).

Second meal - chicken and coleslaw sandwich (apologies for photo quality)

It appears that some special meals are back (not sure if they went away), since I overheard a couple of passengers behind me were served Kosher meals.

The crew overall was good, plenty of drinks offerings should you wish to partake. There was one CC who clearly was having a bad day/week/month, but the rest were polite, welcoming and helpful. Whilst the BA catering does not match that of LX/LH in Covid-19 times (not even close) that I have flown, overall the BA offering was fine for the flight length. I am not one to get excited by any airline catering, since schedule, hard product and price are far greater priorities for me - and BA offered what I needed versus competitors on this occasion.

Side note - for those who frequent the LH lounges at T2, you will know that they are also catered by Do&Co, who appear to be serving the chicken and coleslaw misery sandwich there (albeit encased in an obscene amount of plastic wrap).....but as a positive they are also offering the nice BA chocolate mousse. Granted, a good attempt at creating some efficiency
Old Nov 8, 2020, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thank you rossmacd for sharing these images,

I guess that they've started catering the return legs at LHR on most flights as the meal seems that is it prepared at the Do&Co facility at Heathrow rather than an outstation.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 6:45 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
I would quite like to stop this discussion of Diet Coke and get back to the fact that Ziz just mentioned that Club World main was served on china?! If true, sounds like a big step to me.
Yes it was! It was served with the foil on, but the dish was definitely china and not aluminum.
Tobias-UK and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Ziz
Yes it was! It was served with the foil on, but the dish was definitely china and not aluminum.
This is a big development. Did you get metal cutlery?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:48 am
Ziz

No, it was still the plastic stuff.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 10:55 pm

So what's happening in First? I'm confused. First was said to be unchanged, but if true, CW now sees a better service than F. Or did I miss / misunderstand something?

rb211.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by RB211
So what's happening in First? I'm confused. First was said to be unchanged, but if true, CW now sees a better service than F. Or did I miss / misunderstand something?

rb211.
I flew to MLE in F last week. There was no china, metal cutlery or glass in sight. They put out the table cloth and brought out the box. The main (hot) chicken dish was served in the metal tray (within a box) which was bloody awful. We had a trio of deserts and a cheese pot which was pretty decent. Overall disappointed with the catering experience although I knew that would be the case before flying.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by Graeme Underwood
I flew to MLE in F last week. There was no china, metal cutlery or glass in sight. They put out the table cloth and brought out the box. The main (hot) chicken dish was served in the metal tray (within a box) which was bloody awful. We had a trio of deserts and a cheese pot which was pretty decent. Overall disappointed with the catering experience although I knew that would be the case before flying.
Should my UVF flight go ahead in Dec, looks like I will be bringing my own champagne as well as a suitable drinking artefact!.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:18 am

Thanks God!! Otherwise the plane would not be able to take off.

No good champagne in First, not cleared to fly 🤣🤣🤣
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by RB211

rb211.
Last Friday I asked at check-in and was told it was back to lockdown one sandwiches so stocked up at Pret, however there had been no retreat:

Last edited by Mixbury; Nov 9, 2020 at 9:14 am Reason: Lost track of time
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:29 am

Its so frustrating because as per Mixbury showed, the quality of the food actually looks okay. Why can't they just plate it on china and serve it in boxes even? Having it pre-plated on china is no difference to being pre-plated on paper/metal unless I'm mistaken?

The idealist in me is thinking that they upgraded Club with the hope of doing an even bigger upgrade in F in the coming weeks but that has now been put on the backburner thanks to the new lockdown. I'm hoping F will be the first cabin to return to complete normality.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
Its so frustrating because as per Mixbury showed, the quality of the food actually looks okay. Why can't they just plate it on china and serve it in boxes even? Having it pre-plated on china is no difference to being pre-plated on paper/metal unless I'm mistaken?

The idealist in me is thinking that they upgraded Club with the hope of doing an even bigger upgrade in F in the coming weeks but that has now been put on the backburner thanks to the new lockdown. I'm hoping F will be the first cabin to return to complete normality.
We have discussed this before, BA is trying to keep us $afe.

However, the honest answer is that;

Real silverware and China means extra weight and extra fuel and means that it would keep more space in the cabin. As far as I realized, to minimize costs, BA started return catering long-hauls and now they are saving really good money without any active dishwashing contract and a broad outstation catering contract.
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Advantage
Originally Posted by southsquare
The GMC concerns itself with any conduct with may be prejudicial to the reputation of the profession and/or the protection of the public, not merely criminal offences. And no, I have not "categorised" Diet Coke as "juice" as 1ATurnLeft asserts. Had 1ATurnLeft bothered to read my initial posting, she/he would have discovered that I first requested Diet Coke and when that was refused, I then requested juice, which was also refused. As to whether Diet Coke is the "real issue" as VSLover asserts, the issue is the inconsistency between the representations made on BA's website and in Highlife (i.e. juice available on request) and the (false) made by cabin crew that (unspecified) "government regulations" prohibit the serving of juice (and Diet Coke) in ET. It's a straightforward issue of the integrity of cabin crew: if, for example, juice hadn't been loaded, why not simply tell passengers that. Or if they wish to withhold juice because they believe (correct or otherwise) that they are entitled to do so, then tell passengers that. But don't purport to rely on "government regulations" when such statutory instruments do not exist. As to the suggestion that juice may have been withheld deliberately, where that to be correct it would be abhorrent conduct on the part of cabin crew. If cabin crew, Jed, Pilou, 1ATurnLeft or anyone else requires urgent assistance in my region while I'm on duty, I and my colleagues must provide that and do so best of our ability with the norms of professional practice, irrespective of any allegation they may make about me (or any of my team). It would be nice if they extended the same courtesy to me. It would also have been nice to have had half a plastic glass of any non-alcoholic drink (Diet Coke, juice, whatever) after 14+ hours on my feet in full kit.

WOW I have never seen such a fuss over a can of coke! the crew are well within their rights to refuse to serve any item on board. the crew have discretion to stop serving a passenger for many different reasons. the fact you work for the NHS (or similar) is irrelevant! the flight was 49 minutes , try and bring your self back to earth my dear, life is very short, millions of people cannot afford food or shelter right now and you only think of coke? says a lot more about you than you may realize! first world problem's eh!
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mixbury
Last Friday I asked at check-in and was told it was back to lockdown one sandwiches so stocked up at Pret, however there had been no retreat:

This F catering seems improved.
The idea for using paper/plastic plates is that the whole thing can be just thrown away, without individual handling of china and cutlery.
I assume that they throw away the wooden cutlery on the picture.
The wine glass is a nice improvement.
Were there some decent wines on offer?
Or did you bring your own wine glass and wooden cutlery?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Neil Jones
WOW I have never seen such a fuss over a can of coke! the crew are well within their rights to refuse to serve any item on board. the crew have discretion to stop serving a passenger for many different reasons. the fact you work for the NHS (or similar) is irrelevant! the flight was 49 minutes , try and bring your self back to earth my dear, life is very short, millions of people cannot afford food or shelter right now and you only think of coke? says a lot more about you than you may realize! first world problem's eh!
Regardless of the merit of the debate over the non-availability of the can of Coke (I got bored and stopped reading well before it finished playing out), the "first world problems" trope is a tiresome one.

If we aren't allowed to criticise or complain about things because there are people in the world worse off than we are then this whole forum may as well cease to exist.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.