Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
I spoke with a friend who is a CSM at LGW this morning. They seem to be under the impression things will be back to normal by the end of the month. Although as she’s been on furlough since March, I guess it’s not out of the question she doesn’t have the most up to date information.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sadly she is not in touch with reality.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
That is only very partly correct. CDG does indeed have a "proper" TGV station, but whilst that works well for the North and East for instance Lille or Strasbourg), the situation from the South and West is very different. For instance, if you are coming from Marseille (one of the routes to be discontinued), your first arrival into CDG is after 10.30am. From Bordeaux (same fate), there is a departure around 5.50 then no further nonstop to CDG until 1pm (arriving a bit before 5pm). WIth Montpellier (same system again), the first train arrives into CDG after 1pm. In all the cases the nonstop trains to CDG are few and far between just because - exactly as in the UK - those areas arrive to the wrong "side" of the Parisian network whilst the main Eastern and Northern trunks of traffic are saturated with traffic already so there is no perspective of things improving any time soon - certainly not before at least 10-15 years from now.

Furthermore, Marseille, Montpellier or Bordeaux - to stick to the examples above and two of the main routes that will be discontinued - you do not have a "TGV Air" agreement between AF and the SNCF so if you choose that way of going to CDG, you take all of the responsibility in case your train arrives late (not an infrequent occurrence with any trains) and you lose your plane ticket.

AF are furious about having to close those routes for a reason. They consider that they will lose a lot of connecting long haul traffic and from the people I know who live in places like Bordeaux and Marseille (two cities where I happen to know quite a few!) they are absolutely right in their worries!
Indeed, using the TGV from the Southern cities makes little sense for connecting to flights. However, AF is keeping their flights to CDG from these cities for connecting pax only.They are losing their PtP flights to ORY which some connecting pax were using. That is still bad for pax connecting in ORY to flights to the French Caribbeans, but that will not help BA much unless AF is forced to reduce frequency to CDG.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
but that will not help BA much unless AF is forced to reduce frequency to CDG.
Unfortunately for AF, that is indeed the plan that was imposed by the Government in exchange for the loan and loan guarantee package, and that will be rolled out over the next 4 years (by September 2024). AF will (currently be able to retain some of very important domestic routes (NCE, TLS, MPL, BIA, Corsica), but unless the Government change their tune, the rest (BOD, NTE, etc) will disappear entirely. MRS is currently above the official threshold imposed by the government so should probably stay unless travel times are further shaved.

The ORY flights have mostly been discontinued already from a number of cities and they will be the first hit, but CDG is explicitly next in line.

When AF complained about the competition effects, government agreed to take a decree which will similarly prevent low cost airlines from filling in the void left by AF on the domestic routings themselves, but they have (obviously) no way of imposing any restriction to someone flying, say, LYS-FRA-HKG or BOD-MAD-JFK

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 11, 2020 at 8:55 am
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Confus
Because passenger volume (and yield) have not returned in any even vaguely significant measure.
And why would I choose BA over Virgin, Qatar or Lufthansa or anyone else if I know I’m getting a box of crap sandwiches/salads instead of actual meals
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
And why would I choose BA over Virgin, Qatar or Lufthansa or anyone else if I know I’m getting a box of crap sandwiches/salads instead of actual meals
All sorts of reasons. I don't know about you but for me the following come in to play:
  • Direct service from London as opposed to indirect via FRA/MUC/DOH
  • Price
  • Times
  • Journey duration
  • Status benefits with OW compared to VS/ *A (which I don't have)
  • Refund track history and speed in which they are processed (VS and LH have a poor history of this).
I don't think anyone is denying that the BA offering is anything other than substandard in almost every class at present when compared to other carriers. If food and beverage is singly the most important factor in booking a plane ticket then you must absolutely fly another airline but let's get things into context here, we're talking about airline food.

If I had to fly anywhere these days and BA proved the best option for non-stop and most direct then I wouldn't be paying/redeeming for First as it would be a complete waste of money in terms of product differential. I'd be prepared to pay for Club World purely for the flat bed, WTP and CE for the additional personal space and cater for myself from F&M/Gordon Ramsay/something prepared from home. I'd probably cater for myself too if flying in WT/ET and I wouldn't think any more about it - the pre covid offerings in W/Y were hardly anything to write home about anyway.

As for CE/CW/F, I understand why BA have chosen to extend their lite catering for the Winter season - the projected passenger figures are anticipated to be so few and without any short term guarantee that this is going to change, that the cost of fresh, hot, multi-choice catering isn't going to win any additional business. It's a thrifty decision I'll grant but in the current climate a pragmatic one that has no doubt been considered and agreed to for a significant cost saving. BA seem to think it doesn't matter to you or me either. The vast majority of people travelling are doing so out of necessity rather than out of pleasure and as such will pay to travel on the basis that food and beverage offering isn't the number one factor for them when choosing who to fly.
Knodde likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 11, 2020 at 9:32 am
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Furthermore, Marseille, Montpellier or Bordeaux - to stick to the examples above and two of the main routes that will be discontinued
According to reports, Air France are required to discontinue domestic routes which are connected by TGV in under 2.5 hours. That is not the case for CDG to Marseille, Montpellier, or Bordeaux, so these routes should not be affected?
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Reason077
According to reports, Air France are required to discontinue domestic routes which are connected by TGV in under 2.5 hours. That is not the case for CDG to Marseille, Montpellier, or Bordeaux, so these routes should not be affected?
Bordeaux is well below the 2.5 hours from Paris (Bordeaux-Paris is 2h10) so is affected and will have to be discontinued, as would Lyon or Nantes which are also problematic in terms of CDG train access. You are absolutely right that currently Marseille and Montpellier are not affected as they are both a bit above 3 hours, though it is worth noting that several people within the current majority (including, if reports are correct, the current environment minister) are asking that the decree the government will publish should use a higher threshold which could make things further difficult.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like BA will have less F competition on US routes starting November so even less incentive to change...

LH appears to be eliminating F to all US gateways as all 748 flights are zero'd out in F starting 11/1.
LX has cancelled all ZRH-LAX nonstops for the winter. And ZRH-SFO is down to just 2x weekly for the winter.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by SFO777
Looks like BA will have less F competition on US routes starting November so even less incentive to change...

LH appears to be eliminating F to all US gateways as all 748 flights are zero'd out in F starting 11/1.
LX has cancelled all ZRH-LAX nonstops for the winter. And ZRH-SFO is down to just 2x weekly for the winter.
Interesting, although I think it seems clear that BA is not motivated by the what the competitive is or isn't doing!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
I spoke with a friend who is a CSM at LGW this morning. They seem to be under the impression things will be back to normal by the end of the month. Although as she’s been on furlough since March, I guess it’s not out of the question she doesn’t have the most up to date information.
I asked both CSM on my 2 flights yesterday one said maybe March and the other had no idea. That said ,y flight to GIB had 12 rows of CE yesterday with 2 empty,seats so even if at cheap upgrades BA can’t be unhappy with that.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Cruz is gone!
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by oliverdobbs
Cruz is gone!
But catering cuts are not, in all likelihood!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ermis177
I understand the passion for some members to defend BA but we need to be a bit objective....
And I think some posters need to play the ball and not the man, especially those who’s own objectivity is, well, subjective!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
All sorts of reasons. I don't know about you but for me the following come in to play:
  • Direct service from London as opposed to indirect via FRA/MUC/DOH
  • Price
  • Times
  • Journey duration
  • Status benefits with OW compared to VS/ *A (which I don't have)
  • Refund track history and speed in which they are processed (VS and LH have a poor history of this).
I don't think anyone is denying that the BA offering is anything other than substandard in almost every class at present when compared to other carriers. If food and beverage is singly the most important factor in booking a plane ticket then you must absolutely fly another airline but let's get things into context here, we're talking about airline food.

If I had to fly anywhere these days and BA proved the best option for non-stop and most direct then I wouldn't be paying/redeeming for First as it would be a complete waste of money in terms of product differential. I'd be prepared to pay for Club World purely for the flat bed, WTP and CE for the additional personal space and cater for myself from F&M/Gordon Ramsay/something prepared from home. I'd probably cater for myself too if flying in WT/ET and I wouldn't think any more about it - the pre covid offerings in W/Y were hardly anything to write home about anyway.

As for CE/CW/F, I understand why BA have chosen to extend their lite catering for the Winter season - the projected passenger figures are anticipated to be so few and without any short term guarantee that this is going to change, that the cost of fresh, hot, multi-choice catering isn't going to win any additional business. It's a thrifty decision I'll grant but in the current climate a pragmatic one that has no doubt been considered and agreed to for a significant cost saving. BA seem to think it doesn't matter to you or me either. The vast majority of people travelling are doing so out of necessity rather than out of pleasure and as such will pay to travel on the basis that food and beverage offering isn't the number one factor for them when choosing who to fly.
For this discussion, 1Aturnleft has clearly indicated why people still choose BA over other carriers.

Yes, I agree with TGLoyalty as I would probably not fly with BA until 2021 as their scheduling does not fit me and unfortunately, the USA does not allow non-US citizens and permanent residents to board a plane from countries that are on their high-risk list. ( Pre-COVID, most of my business with BA was transatlantic ).

Yes, I do value the catering and the soft-product; although, if BA offers a decent price and decent connection times to my intended destination, why shouldn't I choose them. Yes, I would not pay extra to fly BA over LH or QR but a when the situation is the opposite, instead of complaining about the meals, I would help myself ( a little bit extra than usual ) at the Galleries Club or Galleries First at LHR and do not think about the aircraft meals.

By the way, I pretty see the benefit of having status in multiple alliances. I am not stuck to a single airline or their partners, and I have the flexibility to choose the airline without thinking about the elite perks.

If we return to the subject and TGLoyalty 's point, this 117-page thread is a huge example where people complaining still use BA. I have spotted many people complaining here about the catering downgrade and still flying BA. With some wandering around threads, you would notice that the same members who complained about catering and mentioned that they would not fly BA in this climate are asking questions about their booked BA flights, Future Travel Vouchers, and even some are providing their experience with BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.