Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Old Oct 4, 2020, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I thought that he was already famous for his nude calendar work? 🤐 🤪
camdentown and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I thought that he was already famous for his nude calendar work? 🤐 🤪
Sssssshhhhh - it's only you who has seen them
Can I help you likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I couldn’t bare to look but it gave BBB seconds of fun.👋
stu1985 and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Henry9210
In short haul they are offering two sandwich choices, with the second one being vegetarian.

A week ago I was offered Chicken Caesar or Cheese and Caramelised Onion.
Yesterday the choices were Coronation Chicken or Tomato and Mozzarella
We had the same yesterday, today just the coronation chicken offered.

What was slightly frustrating is I witnessed, after a champagne sneaking back through the curtain, a couple of the brown bags also then made their way back.

I would never begrudge anyone a 'cheeky' drink... but offering the full current CE catering to a status holder in economy, to the detriment of someone who has actually paid for CE is poor form imo.

I have no proof, but it's not a good look. There was certainly no apology offered for being underloaded, if indeed that was the case.

Last edited by kdhurst380; Oct 4, 2020 at 9:05 am
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kdhurst380

What was slightly frustrating is I witnessed, after a champagne sneaking back through the curtain, a couple of the brown bags also then made their way back.

I would never begrudge anyone a 'cheeky' drink... but offering the full current CE catering to a status holder in economy, to the detriment of someone who has actually paid for CE is poor form imo.

I have no proof, but it's not a good look. There was certainly no apology offered for being underloaded, if indeed that was the case.
was anyone in CE refused a bag? i can understand your point if those bags were a different option which you were never given, but if they were the same and everyone in CE had been offered already who has lost out in CE?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
was anyone in CE refused a bag? i can understand your point if those bags were a different option which you were never given, but if they were the same and everyone in CE had been offered already who has lost out in CE?
The vegetarian option was offered to 1A & C. 2 D & F were only offered the chicken too, although they declined. Couldn't hear anyone else.

As I say, no proof at all but it certainly got me thinking.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
The vegetarian option was offered to 1A & C. 2 D & F were only offered the chicken too, although they declined. Couldn't hear anyone else.

Could they perhaps have been for the crew working down the back and the cloak and dagger to stop those in ET asking for sandwiches rather than to pull the wool over those in CE?
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
Could they perhaps have been for the crew working down the back and the cloak and dagger to stop those in ET asking for sandwiches rather than to pull the wool over those in CE?
Ahh the old laid down on a tray hidden under blue roll trick - nope. The champagne was taken through on a tray in the same indiscreet manner.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

i think you may be overthinking this one with the suggestion the cc deliberately held back the vegetarian option to give it to another passenger in et.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
i think you may be overthinking this one with the suggestion the cc deliberately held back the vegetarian option to give it to another passenger in et.
Maybe you're right? I probably am. It just wasn't a good look that bags were going down the back when 1AC were offered both options, us in 1DF only offered the one.

I'd much rather believe they simply didn't have enough of the second option loaded, but as I said in my first post, there was no explanation or apology offered for the lack of choice.
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:10 pm

You will not like me for this comment, but if it is between them going to the bin, or going to economy for status holders, I wish for the latter.
I suspect a lot of brown bags and boxes go to the bin these days,
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
You will not like me for this comment, but if it is between them going to the bin, or going to economy for status holders, I wish for the latter.
I suspect a lot of brown bags and boxes go to the bin these days,
On the contrary, I actually agree.

But, that wasn't the point I was making. I probably wouldn't have even noticed or cared were it not the fact that I was offered the chicken and that alone. I put two and two together after seeing bags go through the curtain and suspected that someone with a higher status than I, down the back, had already got their choice in. At least two others in our relatively small cabin were offered both options, so it wasn't like none were loaded.

It just wasn't a good look off the back of that, and that alone!

I'm only bitter because on 4 flights in the last week, I've had the chicken caesar vs cheese & onion (yuck). The menu rotation appeared to change on Saturday, and with that, the mozzarella & pesto option sounded vaguely appetising as a change.

Such exciting times in which we live
Old Oct 5, 2020, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Henry9210
In short haul they are offering two sandwich choices, with the second one being vegetarian.

A week ago I was offered Chicken Caesar or Cheese and Caramelised Onion.
Yesterday the choices were Coronation Chicken or Tomato and Mozzarella
BA officially has the worst short-haul J product
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:47 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
BA officially has the worst short-haul J product
There's no doubt that it's a bit, well, crap. Others are there or there about with some slight variations but the European short haul J offering is fundamentally pretty crap across the board.

I am however interested - which arbiter of these things has declared in an official capacity that BA's is the worst?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Lightbulb BA Customer Relations answer re boxed meals and lack of choice

Just sharing with you the answer I just got from GGL Customer Relations after complaining about no "boxed sandwich" choice on my last 6 sectors in CE (yes - always got the one vegetarian option with pesto, which I don't eat. I know - first world problems).

I also stated in my email that almost all other airlines are back to serving hot meals in premium cabins. Not impressed by their answer at all, although I got a reply in less than 48 hours, over the weekend.

Dear Mr 81romeo

An apology from British Airways

I'm sorry to learn you were left disappointed after your recent flights. We realise how important our catering service is to our customers and I understand why you needed to contact us. I'd also like to thank you for you patience while I replied.

The decision to reduce our service wasn't taken lightly, as we know how much our customers value these as part of their experience with us, but safety will always be our number one priority. We deemed this a necessary decision to safeguard our customers and staff.

We have recently enhanced the catering offering, however, like all airlines, we have had to make temporary adjustments to our on board catering while we work on a new solution with our catering suppliers that follows guidance from regulators, minimising interactions between our customers and crew. I would be unable to advise when our usual service will resume.

I can assure you your comments have been logged and we value your insight, particularly as a frequent flyer, during this difficult time.

Once again, I apologise for any upset caused. We value your loyalty as a Gold Guest list member and I hope we can continue to welcome you on board. If I can help with any other separate issues, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.