Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 21, 8:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.


Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request


Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request


World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request


Club World:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request


First:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 2, 20, 2:22 am
  #1576  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Executive Club
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by James91 View Post
Logically though that makes 100% sense, because flying this winter will be so stop and start with quarantines etc. Planning for a return of full service for the Spring/Summer 21 schedule when hopefully we're on the way to a vaccine is just good business sense. How many people relatively will be flying between now and then (outside of this forum ) for non essential reasons?
So if you're flying for essential reasons, it's OK to be given terrible catering? I guess that those of us who do fly for essential reasons (ie business or family commitments) are probably more frequent flyers so we of all people should be taken most care of shouldn't we? All the flights I have been on have been reasonably full in any case.
bafan likes this.
JessicaB is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:23 am
  #1577  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Executive Club
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by James91 View Post
I mean I'm as critical as the next FTer BUT they provide a bottle of water at the seat in Y, and I've asked the CC for coffee and juice on multiple occasions and they've been very responsive every time. I also asked for a second biscuit and it was smuggled to me .
You sound like the kind of man who makes his own bed and cleans his own room in a hotel. They are not doing us a favour by providing us with a service on an aircraft.
JessicaB is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:25 am
  #1578  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,914
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
You sound like the kind of man who makes his own bed and cleans his own room in a hotel. They are not doing us a favour by providing us with a service on an aircraft.
to be fair he was addressing your point and sharing his experience of travel in ET.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:31 am
  #1579  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Executive Club
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
to be fair he was addressing your point and sharing his experience of travel in ET.
Yes Ok KARFA, fair point. But we do all need to remember that BA is selling a service for a price, not doing us a favour. And there is a lot of competition.
JessicaB is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:32 am
  #1580  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,914
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
Yes Ok KARFA, fair point. But we do all need to remember that BA is selling a service for a price, not doing us a favour. And there is a lot of competition.
indeed. So on the competition point which airlines have you made new bookings with due to your negative view of the current catering?
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 2:38 am
  #1581  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Executive Club
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
indeed. So on the competition point which airlines have you made new bookings with due to your negative view of the current catering?
I have been a really loyal BA / Iberia customer for 20 years now, wouldn't consider flying anyone else. I have a lot of cancelled flights to reschedule which will take me into next year and most of my spending is on a BA Amex credit card, so it's not a quick change. But this week I have been investigating Air France as they fly my route and I'm seriously considering giving up on BA for good. It takes a lot to lose passionate supporters of a brand, but I'm honestly coming close to the tipping point.
Silver Fox likes this.
JessicaB is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 3:39 am
  #1582  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 56,716
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
So if you're flying for essential reasons, it's OK to be given terrible catering? I guess that those of us who do fly for essential reasons (ie business or family commitments) are probably more frequent flyers so we of all people should be taken most care of shouldn't we?
I can only speak for myself, but if you are a regular traveller, and use other airlines too, I think you quickly get used to a greatly reduced operation across the board, not just catering. I am grateful that anything that vaguely works, in the current climate. It certainly means having to plan a bit more and work through the various constraints, of which catering is just one of many. Far, far, far more annoying than catering - for me at least - is the constant changes and cancellations to schedules. I think the lack of catering actually annoys irregular travellers more, those who want to enjoy the experience of business cabins and pay for it. That's severely interupted at the moment, and will probably remain so for a few more months at least.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 3:40 am
  #1583  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,307
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
It's really sad to think this will be the catering in place for Christmas and New Year. No drinks at all in Economy, a box of cold nastiness at the front and the CC's strutting up and down checking everyone has their mask correctly fitted. Can't wait.
And being grassed up twice by a fellow paranoid passenger for taking my mask off whilst drinking my champagne. What is the exact rule on this, does it have to be put back on between sips, would be useful to know for next time? I just kept hold of my plastic cup in the end the whole time. It's hypocritical almost saying it's safe to take it off for say an hour whilst you eat the delicious sandwich and wine, then you it's not safe to keep it off for the next hour whilst you're still drinking, sorry rant over.
paulaf is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 6:10 am
  #1584  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 56,716
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
What is the exact rule on this, does it have to be put back on between sips, would be useful to know for next time?
When it comes to "rules", the nearest we have to anything definitive are the statutory instruments, of which there are now hundreds relating to the pandemic. Where face coverings are referenced, you then have a "reasonable excuse" section, which gives some specifics but doesn't affect to be a comprehensive list - so you may be able to persuade a judge that whatever you are doing is reasonable (which isn't a high bar in my view). But in the specific reasonable excuses there is this:
"where it is reasonably necessary for P to eat or drink, P removes their face covering to eat or drink",
where P means a person otherwise required to wear a mask.

Clearly having the mask off for a few minutes to consume food and drink would be OK, but the excessively slow sipping of drink, or the Pringles / Malteser tricks, would perhaps understandably test the patience of some passengers. But it's unllikely you'll be thrown into Belmarsh for it.
paulaf and TyneTraveller like this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 7:00 am
  #1585  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Executive Club
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I can only speak for myself, but if you are a regular traveller, and use other airlines too, I think you quickly get used to a greatly reduced operation across the board, not just catering. I am grateful that anything that vaguely works, in the current climate. It certainly means having to plan a bit more and work through the various constraints, of which catering is just one of many. Far, far, far more annoying than catering - for me at least - is the constant changes and cancellations to schedules. I think the lack of catering actually annoys irregular travellers more, those who want to enjoy the experience of business cabins and pay for it. That's severely interupted at the moment, and will probably remain so for a few more months at least.
I think it also makes a difference if you are doing mainly long-haul or short-haul. On Monday I am flying two sectors more than 12 hours in the air and am just wondering when I will get anything decent to eat or drink. Wouldn't bother me at all on a hop over to Europe.
JessicaB is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 7:03 am
  #1586  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Posts: 1,675
It seems, even in these times with simple boxed meals that some funny things are going on with catering. On a busy flight yesterday out of LHR (estimate 90% loaded in CW/club suites) the boxed chicken salad had run out by the time they were serving me in row 2 (of 14). The issue i was told was that almost everything loaded was the vegetarian option. While cost cutting is one thing, this seemed really odd. I did ask the FA what was happening. A chicken salad box then mysteriously (and surreptitiously) appeared. I suspect I got one of the crew's dinner...
firstlight is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 7:50 am
  #1587  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Mexico
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,434
Originally Posted by JessicaB View Post
I think it also makes a difference if you are doing mainly long-haul or short-haul. On Monday I am flying two sectors more than 12 hours in the air and am just wondering when I will get anything decent to eat or drink. Wouldn't bother me at all on a hop over to Europe.
The catering will be reduced, as you are aware. I'd say plan ahead like many above and book yourself a F&M lunch to take or one of the other Heathrow options. I'm flying 11 hours in December into the London and reading here, I'm already aware that if I want something decent then best to prep it at home or find something at the airport. Why did I choose BA for that flight? not the catering, but the direct flight to London with no connections and the possibility to sit in 1A and be as far away from people as poss. Catering improvement would be a bonus, but I'm not going fly via Asia to get it. US was an alternative route, but if you read elsewhere, even AA are serving up economy meals in First. Lufthansa may also have full service, but I don't want to fly to Germany while sat next to someone in business, then have to hope my connecting flight is even running. As disappointed at the catering I am, having mentioned up thread and perhaps thought BA were shooting themselves in the food, I have come to think people are way overestimating the value people are placing on catering right now. In normal times it is a key factor for some, but we're not in normal times. I'm just hoping this December I can get back to my family, having booked a whole month in the UK to ensure I have 14 days to Q before seeing my parents who are in their 70s. I'd take a stale cheese sandwich any day if it meant my flight operated and I get to see them for the first time in a year.
CatchThePigeon likes this.
TTmex is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 7:58 am
  #1588  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: Executive Club
Posts: 836
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
The catering will be reduced, as you are aware. I'd say plan ahead like many above and book yourself a F&M lunch to take or one of the other Heathrow options. I'm flying 11 hours in December into the London and reading here, I'm already aware that if I want something decent then best to prep it at home or find something at the airport. Why did I choose BA for that flight? not the catering, but the direct flight to London with no connections and the possibility to sit in 1A and be as far away from people as poss. Catering improvement would be a bonus, but I'm not going fly via Asia to get it. US was an alternative route, but if you read elsewhere, even AA are serving up economy meals in First. Lufthansa may also have full service, but I don't want to fly to Germany while sat next to someone in business, then have to hope my connecting flight is even running. As disappointed at the catering I am, having mentioned up thread and perhaps thought BA were shooting themselves in the food, I have come to think people are way overestimating the value people are placing on catering right now. In normal times it is a key factor for some, but we're not in normal times. I'm just hoping this December I can get back to my family, having booked a whole month in the UK to ensure I have 14 days to Q before seeing my parents who are in their 70s. I'd take a stale cheese sandwich any day if it meant my flight operated and I get to see them for the first time in a year.
In my case I have to go via Madrid, there is no other route open to me to get where I am going which would allow me to transit, BA suspended my route in April and no sign of it coming back anytime soon. Iberia has no lounges open in Madrid and I have a 3 hour layover there and by most accounts very few options to get food. I'm sure I will manage, but the whole reason for my trip is to try and work a plan for the hotel I own which has been closed down for months, so it's already a nightmare. I agree we can come up with workarounds, but this is just making a stressful situation worse.
TTmex likes this.
JessicaB is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 8:27 am
  #1589  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: North Wales
Programs: BAEC, M&M
Posts: 87
BA will have to sit up and take note now, their greasy spoon catering has made headlines in the Sun...... https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1281...od-sandwiches/
cmd320 likes this.
macdrew is offline  
Old Oct 2, 20, 8:45 am
  #1590  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver DEN-APA
Programs: AF Platinum, BA Gold Emirates Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Posts: 20,906
Originally Posted by macdrew View Post
BA will have to sit up and take note now, their greasy spoon catering has made headlines in the Sun...... https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1281...od-sandwiches/
It looks like stu1985 is now a celebrity. Though you might want to check your BAEC account.
SFO777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread