Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 22, 21, 8:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Temporary COVID-19 catering, effective 25 October 2020 until 19 January 2021, after which normal catering is expected to resume.

Euro Traveller
Breakfast: cereal bar, cookies, and mineral water bottle
Rest of the day: bag of crisps, small packet of pretzels, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, juice available on request

Club Europe
Band 1 Breakfast: paper bag containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot or muffin, and mineral water bottle
Band 1 Rest of the Day: paper bag containing a sandwich, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Breakfast: box containing a filled croissant, yogurt pot, and mineral water bottle
Bands 2 to 4 Rest of the Day: box containing a sandwich, salad pot, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus:
Primary lunch/dinner flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, side salad, bread bag, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a filled croissant, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal comprises of a tray with hot dish, yoghurt, muffin, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a chilled sandwich, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar available on request

Club World:
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, salad dish, small side salad, bread bag, cheese, crackers, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal (breakfast) is a tablecloth-covered tray with a filled croissant, muesli pot, yoghurt pot, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Primary breakfast flight
Primary meal includes a tablecloth-covered tray with hot dish, yoghurt/fruit dish, croissant, bread bag, jam, dessert pot, and mineral water bottle
Secondary meal is a tablecloth-covered tray with sandwich, cookies, bar of chocolate, and mineral water bottle (served in a box rather than on a tray on 77M return catered flights)

Tea, coffee, drinks from the bar including champagne (Nicolas Feuillatte quarter bottles) available on request

First:
Box containing a salad, starter, pesto, bread bag, crackers, and mineral water bottle. A hot main dish in foil and trio of dessert/cheese pots in cardboard holder are served separately directly onto the tablecloth-covered table
Secondary meal (breakfast) is unconfirmed
Secondary meal (afternoon tea) is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Primary breakfast flight
Primary breakfast service is unconfirmed
Secondary meal is a box containing sandwich, fruit salad, crackers, scone, clotted cream, jam, macarons atop the tablecloth-covered table

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 30, 20, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL View Post
Related to the new catering in Euro Traveller - is there a place in T5 to buy decent cold beer/wine to take on board?
F&M will certainly sell you piccolo sized bottles of champagne (very good with the Hamperlings IMHO) and possibly full sized, if you went early they might pop a large one in the fridge for you if you asked nicely. There also WERE half bottles of red and white wine in world duty free on my trip before last, but these seemed to have disappeared on my most recent trip, the Saturday before last.
choosethedrew and EDDLEGLL like this.

Last edited by Sharratt4; Sep 30, 20 at 9:10 am
Old Sep 30, 20, 5:38 pm

Just flew back tonight and thought I would ask when normal catering in CE was coming back and FA said he was told March!!
James91 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
Just flew back tonight and thought I would ask when normal catering in CE was coming back and FA said he was told March!!
Logically though that makes 100% sense, because flying this winter will be so stop and start with quarantines etc. Planning for a return of full service for the Spring/Summer 21 schedule when hopefully we're on the way to a vaccine is just good business sense. How many people relatively will be flying between now and then (outside of this forum ) for non essential reasons?
Old Sep 30, 20, 7:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by James91 View Post
Logically though that makes 100% sense, because flying this winter will be so stop and start with quarantines etc. Planning for a return of full service for the Spring/Summer 21 schedule when hopefully we're on the way to a vaccine is just good business sense. How many people relatively will be flying between now and then (outside of this forum ) for non essential reasons?
or, alternatively, there might not be a viable business next year, if all the loyal business flyers have gone to the competition over the autumn/winter period...
Jed, Dover2Golf, Schwann and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 20, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by bafan View Post
or, alternatively, there might not be a viable business next year, if all the loyal business flyers have gone to the competition over the autumn/winter period...
Who is the competition though? I live 5 miles from LHR, who else am I flying with non-stop?
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 12:50 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Logically though that makes 100% sense...
Logically they will update some of the photos on the website and POUG offers too

Still waiting for my 'delicious meal to be served on Royal Doulton fine china and suited to the time of the day and duration of the flight'

choosethedrew and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:03 am

Who is the competition though? I live 5 miles from LHR, who else am I flying with non-stop?
Apparently those unsatisfied with BA's cardboard box catering and grammatical 'enjoy your menu' faux pas are marching in their droves towards Qatar, Emirates, American, Swiss and Lufthansa if this forum is anything to go by. Who needs non-stop when the competition have plates and cutlery? 🤷🏻‍♂️😜
Dan72 and James91 like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 1, 20 at 1:34 am
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft View Post
Apparently those unsatisfied with BA's cardboard box catering and grammatical 'enjoy your menu' faux pas are matching in their droves towards Qatar, Emirates, American, Swiss and Lufthansa if this forum is anything to go by. Who needs non-stop when the competition have plates and cutlery? 🤷🏻‍♂️😜
Dont forget EastJet too - thats who is getting my custom right now...though I accept they wont work for everyone as they dont serve LHR.

Pricing significantly cheaper than BA CE, same departure airport and arriving into Luton is as convenient for my destination as Heathrow is.

Will probably be back on BA when the number of rotations on BA increases (I value the flexibility) and/or the service returns to a more acceptable standard. Until then if I am forced to fly a LCC experience, I may as well pay LCC prices.
Dover2Golf, 1Aturnleft and Pilou like this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:12 am

Every other airline that offers non-stop services from LHR. IAG's share of slots at LHR is around 52%; it means that there's a 48% of others available.
Dover2Golf and esledo like this.
Old Oct 1, 20, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
Don’t forget EastJet too - that’s who is getting my custom right now...
U2 are also the airline which I have used most since June. In fairness, catering is not the main reason in my case (primarily continuous cancellations of my itineraries by BA which is disruptive in its inconsistency, including a couple of "forcible cancellations" of BA Holidays when I would have wanted rescheduling, and the way BAEC handled the promised "extensions" of membership or in my case lack thereof which I consider inequitable and unhelpful) but either way, that is the current state of play. I'm not one to "boycott" anyone, and I have always flown a mixture of airlines, even when some have disappointed me a lot, I just vary the proportions based on a whole range of criteria (and no doubt much of it subconsciously too). A year ago, BA would have had over 50% of my flights, since June, and based on reduced flying, it is only about 10% and only when I have needed nonstops to/from LHR on routes where BA was the only option. U2 has made the most gains followed by AF and then a few smaller European airlines. I still avoid LH which I dislike.

I would add that I have long stopped complaining to BA as it makes no difference and I can't really be bothered any more, and when CSDs have come to me in flight to ask for feedback, I do not engage any more either. Been there, done that, it serves no purpose.
Old Oct 1, 20, 4:33 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
U2 are also the airline which I have used most since June. In fairness, catering is not the main reason in my case (primarily continuous cancellations of my itineraries by BA which is disruptive in its inconsistency, including a couple of "forcible cancellations" of BA Holidays when I would have wanted rescheduling, and the way BAEC handled the promised "extensions" of membership or in my case lack thereof which I consider inequitable and unhelpful) but either way, that is the current state of play. I'm not one to "boycott" anyone, and I have always flown a mixture of airlines, even when some have disappointed me a lot, I just vary the proportions based on a whole range of criteria (and no doubt much of it subconsciously too). A year ago, BA would have had over 50% of my flights, since June, and based on reduced flying, it is only about 10% and only when I have needed nonstops to/from LHR on routes where BA was the only option. U2 has made the most gains followed by AF and then a few smaller European airlines. I still avoid LH which I dislike.

I would add that I have long stopped complaining to BA as it makes no difference and I can't really be bothered any more, and when CSDs have come to me in flight to ask for feedback, I do not engage any more either. Been there, done that, it serves no purpose.
What causes you to fly so much, what type of job do you do. Feel free not to answer - I'm just interested in what careers lead to a lot of corporate flying. Mine is all personal except maybe 1 TATL trip a year to the US.
Old Oct 1, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Oop North there's plenty of competition from MCR if one is prepared to use BRU, AMS. MUC etc as a hub.
For a traveller who needs to use Special Assistance, Heathrow always has been and still is an absolute nightmare.
I have long since switched as much of my business as I can to avoid LHR T5
Old Oct 1, 20, 5:16 am
Suspended

I mean, I'm with you to the extent that these days, there are more important considerations for me that BA's covid-friendly catering. However, at the margin, the catering still matters--just look at the response this thread topic got.

Furthermore, the direct connection isn't useful as the sole decision criterion these days in which schedules are so thinned out. Sometimes, there's no airline offering a direct flight (what if you wanna travel from MLA to LHR on October 15?). And other times, BA or another carrier might have a direct flight but the departure time is highly inconvenient. And lastly, when more than one airline offers a direct flight, your simple rule doesn't yield a unique decision.
Old Oct 1, 20, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
BAs catering was supposed to be back to normal at the end of October, but due to the potential second wave it’s been delayed to the end of the year.
Old Oct 1, 20, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
BAs catering was supposed to be back to normal at the end of October, but due to the potential second wave its been delayed to the end of the year.
That's awfully convenient!

(Not shooting the messenger by the way, thanks for the info!)
Dover2Golf likes this.

Search this Thread