Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I'm not sure whether to like, thatT1feeling post or not........

It did make my laugh though, sorry. The irony.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
I'm not sure whether to like, thatT1feeling post or not........

It did make my laugh though, sorry. The irony.
Thanks.. yep, I've earned almost all of the points, she gets the benefit. There's a metaphor here somewhere I think we have possibly the maximum possible difference in extension dates between us of Aug 21 and May 23. The good news is that if I fall off GGL, which seems quite likely based on the lack of likely business travel in the next year, at least our family travel will be able to benefit through 2 of us being Gold till 2023, and by then who knows what travel will be like anyway?
GinFizz and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Can you give some more details regarding when you gifted the status and the TP-reset date for the giftee?

In general, as it is only possible to gift a card to someone with a lower status, my understanding of the situation is that they should benefit from the extra year. For example someone at Silver status with a TP year ending on March 8th 2020, could have been gifted a new Silver card only from May 1st, after they dropped back to Bronze, at which point they would have been upgraded back to Silver with a card expiry of April 2022.

One reason why you (they) are not seeing that could be that they have a May/June reset date - it has already been reported above (see post 1338) that due to IT limitations the extra year for these people has not yet been applied (but will be soon). I certainly doubt whether BA will treat awarded cards differently from directly-earned cards (or even if they could do this without manual interventions). I gifted a friend a card in March this year (Blue->Silver) and have just sent him a message to ask him to check his card expiry date - will update this post later when he replies ...
I suspect your theory is right.

Data point for one of my giftees:
Status on membership year renewal 8 Apr 2020 (Bronze)
Nominated to Silver on 2 June 2020
Tier point collection year ends 8 Apr 2021
Card expiry date 31 May 2023 (just a few days ago showed 31 May 2022)

So effectively the giftee's status is also extended by a further year (i.e. "current year" + "one full year after" + another year extension) - so nearly 3 full years of upgraded status!
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

So effectively the giftee's status is also extended by a further year (i.e. "current year" + "one full year after" + another year extension) - so nearly 3 full years of upgraded status!

Just more ammunition to show BA just how absurd this situation has become for the already qualified guys who still get zilch !
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: Meh
Man I am back again for a 3rd time even more confused.
Re-qualified gold year end May 8th. Expiry June 30th 2021.
Will I get year extension to June 30th 2022?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by stevie
Yes you should.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 3:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stevie
Yes you will. See here for an explanation of the delay with regards to 8 May year ends https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32481464-post1338.html
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by docklander
Just more ammunition to show BA just how absurd this situation has become for the already qualified guys who still get zilch !

perhaps. an alternative is someone like me, GGL w a september year end. while i only made 1100TP before lockdown, i have benefitted from my status expiring in 2021, sure.

however as having just downloaded my BA history since joining 4 years ago, i have 205 flights in 4 years on BA and 8 of those flights are in economy, all other in J or F. so like many other GGL from july-on, it would have been near impossible to re-qualify for GGL with 1/4 of the year shut down, and so we have expirations in 2021, yet a majority of GGLs are likely valuable customers fro BA and do not see any benefit from an extension to 2022 or similar as shown up above.

am i annoyed by it? nah, not really, there are bigger things to stress about, but yes, how this whole scheme does not benefit their top tiers more could bother some.
docklander likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by VSLover
perhaps. an alternative is someone like me, GGL w a september year end. while i only made 1100TP before lockdown, i have benefitted from my status expiring in 2021, sure.

however as having just downloaded my BA history since joining 4 years ago, i have 205 flights in 4 years on BA and 8 of those flights are in economy, all other in J or F. so like many other GGL from july-on, it would have been near impossible to re-qualify for GGL with 1/4 of the year shut down, and so we have expirations in 2021, yet a majority of GGLs are likely valuable customers fro BA and do not see any benefit from an extension to 2022 or similar as shown up above.

am i annoyed by it? nah, not really, there are bigger things to stress about, but yes, how this whole scheme does not benefit their top tiers more could bother some.
It does all seem to be woefully short sighted , especially with valuable(to BA) punters like yourself being somewhat clumsily overlooked .All seems an opportunist exercise in saving a few shekels but rather losing sight of the big picture .Have to see what evolves from this situation i guess.....
VSLover likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR / QF LTG
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

This does seem to be the case for partner cards. Here is a data point for my account:

Gold Guest List Executive Club Member
Membership year ends:
08 Mar 2021
Card expiry date:
30 Apr 2022

Gold Executive Club Member (Partner)
Membership year ends:
08 Dec 2020
Card expiry date:
31 Jan 2023

Silver Executive Club Member (Partner)
Membership year ends:
08 Jan 2021
Card expiry date:
28 Feb 2023
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by docklander
It does all seem to be woefully short sighted , especially with valuable(to BA) punters like yourself being somewhat clumsily overlooked .All seems an opportunist exercise in saving a few shekels but rather losing sight of the big picture .Have to see what evolves from this situation i guess.....
Yes, I'm with you on that, as someone with an August year end date and having already collected over 1,700 TP's.

Even Oman Air has treated me relatively better, extending my Gold status to December 2021 from June 2020, even though I was many miles off re-qualifying (and without actually telling me).
VSLover and docklander like this.
Old Jun 27, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
Even Oman Air has treated me relatively better, extending my Gold status to December 2021 from June 2020, even though I was many miles off re-qualifying (and without actually telling me).
Although just looking at your example from Oman, had you been in that situation with BA where you were nowhere near re-qualifying BA would have similarly extended your current status for a year.
Grace B likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:11 am
TGC

Programs: BA GGL
Anyone with a May tier point year end and a June card expiry, not had an extension yet or is it just me stuck on a 2021 expiry?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Do tier points reset to zero at original year end?

We are both Silver with October renewal dates. I understand silver status will be extended till 2021 and targets for silver and gold have been reduced, but will our tier points from the year so far be zeroed in October 2020, or do they go towards 2021 target?
Old Jun 28, 2020, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by windsock
We are both Silver with October renewal dates. I understand silver status will be extended till 2021 and targets for silver and gold have been reduced, but will our tier points from the year so far be zeroed in October 2020, or do they go towards 2021 target?
Yes, tier points will be zeroed as normal at your membership year end (8 October 2020), they won't go towards your 2021 TP earnings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.