Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:36 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I have received a call from the GGL desk today. What's clear is that they realise that the July (and probably Aug and Sept) renewers have come out on the wrong side of this equation and so there may be some additional future flex, based on how quickly flying takes off again.
Also a July renewer, and had a call from GGL on Monday to try and explain the email to me.

The agent advised there is a spreadsheet, onto which they are making comments based on how people react to the news.

The spreadsheet goes to NR at Waterside for his consideration - but having spoken to him directly a couple of times this week, I already know the outcome.

Having renewed GGL/CCR in March, the lack of flying opportunity in April-July didn't have an effect on my TPs, but I was told the extension therefore won't apply.

Annoying, but I'll retain GGL through organic flying, and may well make CCR at the reduced 3,750 level (albeit I need the USA to open up!).

M
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Also a July renewer, and had a call from GGL on Monday to try and explain the email to me.

The agent advised there is a spreadsheet, onto which they are making comments based on how people react to the news.

The spreadsheet goes to NR at Waterside for his consideration - but having spoken to him directly a couple of times this week, I already know the outcome.

Having renewed GGL/CCR in March, the lack of flying opportunity in April-July didn't have an effect on my TPs, but I was told the extension therefore won't apply.

Annoying, but I'll retain GGL through organic flying, and may well make CCR at the reduced 3,750 level (albeit I need the USA to open up!).

M
That isn't great news for July's. Im a June, so it doesn't affect me, but it does seem somewhat unfair, they won't review it, with the feedback.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:03 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
I have received a call from the GGL desk today. What's clear is that they realise that the July (and probably Aug and Sept) renewers have come out on the wrong side of this equation and so there may be some additional future flex, based on how quickly flying takes off again.
Thanks for the update - that certainly makes sense. I have an August TP reset date (already requalified in January for GGL until 2021 by the "-30% rule", such that the extension is somewhat irrelevant for me) so if flying gets back to something close to normal (from a BA route perspective) before November (3 months after my August reset date), then a 25% reduction in the TP requirement for my next renewal in Aug 2021 is arguably reasonable, though perhaps not generous. If that doesn't happen (and personally I doubt if it will, but let's see) then given the way BA has handled things so far I assume that they will come up with other adjustments to the requirements.

Personally it is looking increasingly likely that I am going to be grounded for a fair while still - but that is because I am based in China, and the information I have so far is that the border will be closed to non-Chinese passport holders until at least the end of the year (well, strictly speaking I can travel out of China whenever I like - but without any guarantee that I will be able to fly back in again - which wouldn't go down too well I think with my wife ). As such I have pretty much already resigned myself to the possibility of dropping from GGL at my 2021 renewal, but again we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out. I certainly hope to be on my travels visiting friends around the world well before then!
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK *G, Virgin Flying Club, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
This is the problem. I am also a July renewer and given all the border closures which don't seem to be getting lifted any time soon (in my case USA and South Africa) it seems like it will be very hard for me to renew next year even with a 25% reduction in TP requirement. It seems like I will lose half my TP collection year and that is assuming there is no 2nd spike in the winter which might lead me to lose my whole year. The July renewers are really the losers here (along with Apr-Jun who didn't meet the lower renewal) since we have to start earning from July and that is going to be really hard.
Brighterside and Tocsin like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, your partner just needs 1125 TPs by 8 August.
That's good news but I'm not sure I see where it's been published... both the BA website and HfP's summary are ambiguous as to whether the reduced TP requirement applies immediately for current years, or is just for your membership year after an extension?

After your extension, you will be able to requalify for the subsequent year for 25% fewer tier points than are normally required.
(...)
The reduced tier point thresholds apply to all membership years which expire up to, and including, 8th July 2022.
Source: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...-by-12-months/
What’s more, it will be even easier to retain your status next time you’re up for renewal, as we’ve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrades thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable.
Source: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s-and-benefits
Confusing!

Last edited by FlyerTalker6823123456; Jun 18, 2020 at 4:35 am
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas PL
I'm a bit lost with this blanket status extension rules.
My year will end on 8th of August 2020. I managed to get 1670 points before the whole COVID so I secured status extension without any special threshold reductions or blanket extensions - so I'm "safe" until August 2021.
Does this blanket extension mean I don't have to get any points between August 2020 and August 2021 to still keep my gold status until August 2022? Or for those who managed to get the points "regular way" there is "nothing" extra in this blanket status extension and I still need to collect 1125 Tier Points after August 2020 before August 2021 to keep my status until 2022?
It's all about as clear as mud as I think effectively not everyone is actually getting an extension. I used the online form to try and clarify a few points as I'm currently Gold on 1320 TP with YE in Sept and wanted to know whether it was worth trying to get to 1,500 before then so that I would effectively be extended until Sept 2022. The initial response was:

- You would not need to earn any further Tier points for this membership year. The 1 year extension you your Gold membership will be in effect from 9th September 2020 to 8th September 2021 and will be applied automatically.
- You would need to earn 1125 tier point inside your next tier point collection year to retain gold for the year 2021/22.
- We would not roll over the extension for a further year if you achieved the 1500 Tier Point threshold in your own right by September.

I went back to them and asked 'so effectively there is no status extension if you have already renewed this year?'. Their response was: 'If you have already renewed then this is correct, however we will only require the lower threshold in order to renew your status once the 1 year tier extension has expired.'

That last sentence has left me confused all over again, as it implied that I don't need to start earning until Sept 2021, despite their second point above suggesting that I need to start earning in Sept 2020, whether I renew this year or not?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cosmo74
It's all about as clear as mud as I think effectively not everyone is actually getting an extension. I used the online form to try and clarify a few points as I'm currently Gold on 1320 TP with YE in Sept and wanted to know whether it was worth trying to get to 1,500 before then so that I would effectively be extended until Sept 2022. The initial response was:

- You would not need to earn any further Tier points for this membership year. The 1 year extension you your Gold membership will be in effect from 9th September 2020 to 8th September 2021 and will be applied automatically.
- You would need to earn 1125 tier point inside your next tier point collection year to retain gold for the year 2021/22.
- We would not roll over the extension for a further year if you achieved the 1500 Tier Point threshold in your own right by September.

I went back to them and asked 'so effectively there is no status extension if you have already renewed this year?'. Their response was: 'If you have already renewed then this is correct, however we will only require the lower threshold in order to renew your status once the 1 year tier extension has expired.'

That last sentence has left me confused all over again, as it implied that I don't need to start earning until Sept 2021, despite their second point above suggesting that I need to start earning in Sept 2020, whether I renew this year or not?
That's certainly confusing! I think we will all know more once July 9th comes around, seeing what the thresholds are for that group (which includes me), as you would effectively get the same target.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Did you get any indication if this possible future flex was GGL only or would apply across the tiers?

I’m a July renewer, have sufficient TPs to renew Silver but have only 2 qualifying flights. I will re-qual under both the previous flights waver (if still applicable?) and the recent 12 month extension, but then need to earn TPs from 09 JUL, not an easy ask.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
Did you get any indication if this possible future flex was GGL only or would apply across the tiers?

I’m a July renewer, have sufficient TPs to renew Silver but have only 2 qualifying flights. I will re-qual under both the previous flights waver (if still applicable?) and the recent 12 month extension, but then need to earn TPs from 09 JUL, not an easy ask.
Hi - it's a good question - the person I spoke to was (as you'd expect) talking about my specific circumstance - which isn't particularly specific - just that client travel has dried up and lots of countries are effectively off-limits at the moment. I don't have any other specifics which would make me different from anyone else! So, I don't know - but I suspect it would have to be across the board as it would be hard to justify any other approach.
krispy84 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Another data point, I never got a reply to an email I sent over a month ago about being bumped to silver based on tower points I would have got. I sent a Twitter message a few days ago, and got the happy news that I will be silver. I'm hoping that I'll also get the extra year extension. Fingers crossed! (Tier collection end was 8 June)
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Another data point, I never got a reply to an email I sent over a month ago about being bumped to silver based on tower points I would have got. I sent a Twitter message a few days ago, and got the happy news that I will be silver. I'm hoping that I'll also get the extra year extension. Fingers crossed! (Tier collection end was 8 June)
theres some good news! good luck with with the extension, I think you will be be just fine!
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
My scenario is this:

I was a silver member and have over 1300 TP's with a collection year end of 8th July (with card benefit expiry of Aug 2021) My May 2020 trip that would of got me gold for first time was cancelled by BA and I took a future travel voucher.
BA were kind enough to grant me gold as I would of achieved it had the trip not been cancelled (although it now seems the lower TP requirement would of meant I got it anyway?) So now I am sat with a gold card with expiry of Aug 2021.
Last week I got the email saying an extra 12 months gold membership - so surely that means I should have gold until Aug 2022? Am I interpreting things correctly ?

After reading everyone's comments I am confused by this whole situation now, BA emailed to say an extra 12 months gold membership, if they don't provide that then is the email misleading ?

Thanks all

Jay
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:31 am

Ok im currently bronze sitting at 590 points. Does this mean that due to the lower thresholds I will bump up to silver even if i dont take another flight? And other thing is ive flown 3 out of 4 qualifying BA flioghts. Is the waiver still applicable for THIS years collection?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jay_cee87
My scenario is this:

I was a silver member and have over 1300 TP's with a collection year end of 8th July (with card benefit expiry of Aug 2021) My May 2020 trip that would of got me gold for first time was cancelled by BA and I took a future travel voucher.
BA were kind enough to grant me gold as I would of achieved it had the trip not been cancelled (although it now seems the lower TP requirement would of meant I got it anyway?) So now I am sat with a gold card with expiry of Aug 2021.
Last week I got the email saying an extra 12 months gold membership - so surely that means I should have gold until Aug 2022? Am I interpreting things correctly ?

After reading everyone's comments I am confused by this whole situation now, BA emailed to say an extra 12 months gold membership, if they don't provide that then is the email misleading ?

Thanks all

Jay
The general understanding is that if you have an 8 July end date, then you get Gold to Aug 2021, but have to earn the lower threshold between 9 Jul 2020 and 8 Jul 2021 in order to extend to Aug 2022.

They don't provide an extra year (or even an extra month) and, yes, the email is therefore misleading.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
The general understanding is that if you have an 8 July end date, then you get Gold to Aug 2021, but have to earn the lower threshold between 9 Jul 2020 and 8 Jul 2021 in order to extend to Aug 2022.

They don't provide an extra year (or even an extra month) and, yes, the email is therefore misleading.
This does highlight the cliff-edge of benefit between June and July renewals.

I’m not ultimately sure what BA should or could do to remedy it. As a July member, I’m reasonably content with knowing my status is secured through to Aug 21 and that renewal targets are 25% less between Jul 20 and Jul 21. Would guaranteed status until Aug 22 be too much? 🤔 Undecided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.