Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Globalist
Currently gold with a renewal date of March 2023.
I have done my 4 BA flights and have 1,330TP (since September). This would qualify for the 1,125 reduced threshold before Dec 31st 2022?

I have seen two statements:
  1. When the reduced gold TP threshold is met the status will be extended with another year (and reflected soon after reaching the threshold)
  2. When the reduced gold TP threshold is met before Dec 31st the new status will be updated in January 2023
1 has not happened, so I guess I see my status (renewed until March 2024) updated in January?

Globalist
Yes. As your current collection year ends in 2023 and you are renewing with the reduced tier point levels, according to BAEC you should not see your renewal take effect until January 2023. If you were attaining a new status level with the reduced tier points then you will see it reflected soon after attaining the TPs required for the new level.
From ba.com:
Members with a Tier Point Collection Year end date in 2023 can benefit from the reduced thresholds to renew or upgrade their status for the following membership year, if they earn the required number of Tier Points by 31 December 2022 only. From 1 January 2023 the reduced Tier thresholds will no longer apply.

Please note, Members with a Tier Point Collection Year end date in 2023 will see the normal Tier Point threshold in the ‘My Account’ area on ba.com and the British Airways app from the start of their Tier Point collection year.

If your Tier Point Collection Year end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to upgrade your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will automatically be upgraded once you have earnt the required number of Tier Points. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.

If your Tier Point Collection Year end date is in 2023 and you are eligible to renew your Tier status under the reduced Tier Point thresholds, your membership will be automatically renewed in January 2023. There is no need to contact us to arrange this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
My wife dropped to bronze at the end of September, since then has accrued 480 points, of which 80 were applied today, and she was upgraded to Silver.

I'm now on 1120, will get another 80 TPs tomorrow or Friday, I'll update then if I go back to gold, even though I'm still gold although it expires on 30th November.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:18 am

Opened up the App this morning and the additional 80 TPs have posted and my GC expiry date have changed 30th November 2023.
As I'd reached my TP year end on October 8th 2022 on 400 TPs, so had technically dropped to silver after November 30th, any idea why my card expiry isn't November 2024? As I have earned gold for this year and the following. Can I assume this will correct itself at some point in the near future?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:33 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by stephenjc
Opened up the App this morning and the additional 80 TPs have posted and my GC expiry date have changed 30th November 2023.
As I'd reached my TP year end on October 8th 2022 on 400 TPs, so had technically dropped to silver after November 30th, any idea why my card expiry isn't November 2024? As I have earned gold for this year and the following. Can I assume this will correct itself at some point in the near future?
Hopefully for you this is not the case however
it's possible BA have used their discretion to keep you at gold so all you have done is now renewed gold rather than reattaining it. Did you ever get a letter or email saying you had dropped to silver?

I guess the conversation with BA insisting they drop your status to silver so you can get an extra year of gold might be an interesting one.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
Hopefully for you this is not the case however
it's possible BA have used their discretion to keep you at gold so all you have done is now renewed gold rather than reattaining it. Did you ever get a letter or email saying you had dropped to silver?

I guess the conversation with BA insisting they drop your status to silver so you can get an extra year of gold might be an interesting one.
Nothing from BA. I'm pretty sure it's because I reached the lower limit of 1125 TPs. My expiry date yesterday on 1120 was still November 22. Now on 1200 it's November 23.
I'm pretty sure it will sort itself out, well it had better, as the whole point of getting 1200 TPs between October 9th and November 30th was to keep Gold for 2 years, whilst still flying with gold benefits getting the 1200 TPs.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:25 am

Nothing from BA. I'm pretty sure it's because I reached the lower limit of 1125 TPs. My expiry date yesterday on 1120 was still November 22. Now on 1200 it's November 23.
I'm pretty sure it will sort itself out, well it had better, as the whole point of getting 1200 TPs between October 9th and November 30th was to keep Gold for 2 years, whilst still flying with gold benefits getting the 1200 TPs.
This was my situation last month. Took 2 or 3 days for the app to update to show the extra year
stephenjc and jonr405 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:39 am

I’ve experienced the same. Tier points reset on 8th October dropping me from gold to silver post Nov 30th 2022.

I flew EDI-LHR-YVR in F as a BA Holiday on the 8th Nov returning on the 14th. 250 tier points for outbound posted on the 11th, 250 for the inbound on the 17th and then last night one 500 tier point entry for the double tier point offer taking me to 1,240 and therefore under the current reduced TP requirement gold.

App showed 740 TP with 30th Nov 22 expiry yesterday afternoon and then 1,240 TP with 30th Nov 23 expiry last night.

Like you my intention was to get 2 years of gold from the one trip so hope this will adjust itself at some point.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by R.O.U.S
I’ve experienced the same. Tier points reset on 8th October dropping me from gold to silver post Nov 30th 2022.

I flew EDI-LHR-YVR in F as a BA Holiday on the 8th Nov returning on the 14th. 250 tier points for outbound posted on the 11th, 250 for the inbound on the 17th and then last night one 500 tier point entry for the double tier point offer taking me to 1,240 and therefore under the current reduced TP requirement gold.

App showed 740 TP with 30th Nov 22 expiry yesterday afternoon and then 1,240 TP with 30th Nov 23 expiry last night.

Like you my intention was to get 2 years of gold from the one trip so hope this will adjust itself at some point.

As a follow up to the above I’ve just had the “Some good news about your membership” email from BA which interestingly (or worryingly) says my gold membership has been “renewed” as opposed to the “welcome to gold” one I got in similar circumstances last time.

I might be over thinking this but does meeting the TP threshold for gold in the window between the 9th Oct and 30th Nov (when I had dropped to silver in terms of TPs earned up to the 8th Oct but was still gold up until the card expires on the 30th Nov) count as “renewing” gold or “attaining” gold. I’m sure it’s been the latter every other time I’ve done this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think people are getting lost in details here. If your TP year started, say 9 November, and you make the reduced TP accrual between 9 Nov and 31/12 it makes exactly zero difference to the validity of your status whether you have “gained” or “renewed” gold in the process, nor does the fact that you are achieving those TPs whilst your card is still valid or not.

Either way, you have qualified for your 2022-23 TP year under your reduced threshold, and either way your status will be extended till 31/12/2024 (in that example). The only difference is when that will be confirmed to you which jerry.a.laska’s post (5161) explains perfectly clearly a few posts above.

Everything else is quite simply irrelevant.

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 24, 2022 at 9:07 am
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think people are getting lost in details here. If your TP year started, say 9 November, and you make the reduced TP accrual between 9 Nov and 31/12 it makes exactly zero difference to the validity of your status whether you have “gained” or “renewed” gold in the process, nor does the fact that you are achieving those TPs whilst your card is still valid or not.

Either way, you have qualified for your 2022-23 TP year under your reduced threshold, and either way your status will be extended till 31/12/2024 (in that example). The only difference is when that will be confirmed to you which jerry.a.laska’s post (5161) explains perfectly clearly a few posts above.

Everything else is quite simply irrelevant.
I'm still utterly confused by this and don't see this granting two years in my case. And can't see how this can be interpreted this way.

My tier point year ended 8 November 2022. At that point, had earned (as of 5 November 2022) 1150 tier points.
My Gold status was extended so the card is valid until 31 December 2023, which is what I would expect: I renewed Gold based on the reduced tier points. Under what circumstances does this qualify for 2024 year end? Do I need to ring up BAEC and ask for this to be reviewed?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You will drop to silver 01/01/2024 if you don’t get 1500 tier points by November 2023 (or 1125 by 31/12/2022)

You will not be given an extension if you call
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by gormless
I'm still utterly confused by this and don't see this granting two years in my case. And can't see how this can be interpreted this way.

My tier point year ended 8 November 2022. At that point, had earned (as of 5 November 2022) 1150 tier points.
My Gold status was extended so the card is valid until 31 December 2023, which is what I would expect: I renewed Gold based on the reduced tier points. Under what circumstances does this qualify for 2024 year end? Do I need to ring up BAEC and ask for this to be reviewed?
It does not qualify for an DEC24 year end unless you earn the reduced tier points from 9NOV22-31DEC22. If you earned 1150 TPs before your collection year end date (you state your year ends 8NOV22)then you have renewed status through 8NOV23 (card valid thru DEC23).

I think you need to reread what orbitmic wrote, he was referring to someone whose new collection year starts 9NOV and who earns the reduced TPs before 31DEC22.
orbitmic and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
]I think you need to reread what orbitmic wrote, he was referring to someone whose new collection year starts 9NOV and who earns the reduced TPs before 31DEC22.
OK, I see the distinction here. You have to earn the reduced TPs between 9 November and 31 December 2022 to get the extra year of status. Which means starting from zero in November and earning 1125 more TPs before the end of the year.

How I interpreted this was that
1. If you make the reduced TPs before the end of your TP year, you get one year of status.
2. If you're short of the reduced TPs at the end of your TP year, but get the REMAINING TPs before the end of the year, you get two years of status.

What I think you're saying is that
1. If you make it before the end of your TP year you get one year of status.
2. If you then accrue an additional set of TPs adequate to make the reduced TPs before the end of 2022, you get an additional year of status.

That's logical to me, where what I thought was being said (if you get to the reduced TP threshold late, you get two years but if on time only one year) wasn't logical.
This utterly illogical interpretation of what's being said here is what confused me.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:29 pm
Suspended

OK, I see the distinction here. You have to earn the reduced TPs between 9 November and 31 December 2022 to get the extra year of status. Which means starting from zero in November and earning 1125 more TPs before the end of the year.

How I interpreted this was that
1. If you make the reduced TPs before the end of your TP year, you get one year of status.
2. If you're short of the reduced TPs at the end of your TP year, but get the REMAINING TPs before the end of the year, you get two years of status.

What I think you're saying is that
1. If you make it before the end of your TP year you get one year of status.
2. If you then accrue an additional set of TPs adequate to make the reduced TPs before the end of 2022, you get an additional year of status.

That's logical to me, where what I thought was being said (if you get to the reduced TP threshold late, you get two years but if on time only one year) wasn't logical.
This utterly illogical interpretation of what's being said here is what confused me.
The problem would be assuming that any of this is logical . . . .

Basically, BA has made various concessions to its EC members during the last almost 3 years, due to the pandemic. They have decided that their largesse can only go on for so long and so much. So they have declared that their concessions will end, once and for all, on Dec. 31st of this year.

Presumably, because EC members have widely varying endings to the timing of their TP years, and in the attempt to appear as if they were not playing favorites, BA is allowing members whose years might have concluded earlier on in the year to benefit once again, from the reduced TP requirements by Dec. 31st, irrespective of when their current TP year begins and when it is scheduled to end. This will obviously be more likely to benefit those who have at least several months during which to accrue the reduced tier points, but again, they want to end these concessions and there is no way to do this without some people thinking they are getting the short end of the stick.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

My Gold status was extended so the card is valid until 31 December 2023, which is what I would expect: I renewed Gold based on the reduced tier points. Under what circumstances does this qualify for 2024 year end? Do I need to ring up
BAEC and ask for this to be reviewed?
you are confused because again you make things too complicated (and I think might have focused on a different point than that of my post) for qualification till 2024, and f your year ends 8 November, just forget about what happened between 9/11/21 and 8/11/22. If you make 1125TPs between 9/11/22 and 31/11/22 you’ll be deemed to have qualified for gold for 2022-23 with card valid till 31/12/24 regardless of whether you had re qualified for gold in 21/22 or dropped to silver. The qualification is always for 1 year in exactly the same way it’s always been.

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 25, 2022 at 9:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.