Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 5, 22, 9:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: stifle
Wiki Link
AS OF 11 July 2022:

BRITISH AIRWAYS PROTECTS TIER STATUS FOR ITS LOYAL EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS
  • Gold Guest List with renewal dates July-December 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Gold members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will be extended for a further 12 months
  • Silver and bronze do not get any further renewal
  • However, Silver members with renewal dates July-September 2022 will given a 50% reduction in the amount of tier points needed (From 600 to 300 TPs)
  • Everyone else still gets the 25% reduction in tier points until 31 December. This also applies if you want to qualify for a higher status level.


See post 796 for further details https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32452931-post796.html

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...efits#vouchers

20 Sep 21 Update - see post #3594 onwards

21 Dec 21 Update - see post #3942 onwards

20 Apr 22 Update - see post #4483 onwards

The graph Illustrated below covers simple renewal milestones (collection year start/end dates) onto a blue bar (mid blue represents your current membership year; dark blue represents the extension periods). This does not touch the effect tier jumps have on the extension end dates. You can find confirmation of the extension being added to your BAEC account via "My Executive Club". This is signified by the "Card expiry date"


Updated 20 September 2021


Coronavirus: How the Executive Club is supporting you
Were adding 12 months extra onto your Executive Club membership so you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever youre ready to fly.

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021.

Whats more, it will be even easier to retain your status next time youre up for renewal, as weve decreased the amount of Tier Points needed by 25%. This is the same for upgrades thresholds too, making that next Tier more achievable.

This results in lower Tier qualification thresholds, as shown below:

Bronze: 225 Tier Points, or 18 eligible flights
Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
Gold: 1125 Tier Points
Gold Guest List: 3,750 Tier Points (to attain), 2,250 Tier Points (to retain) [not in the original email but understood to be true]

You'll still need a minimum of 2 eligible flights for Bronze and 4 for Silver.

NB: These reduced qualification/requalification thresholds apply until 31 December 2022, regardless of when your membership year ends. They won't show on the BA app or website these will still say you need 300/600/1500 tier points but should you pass the reduced threshold for a higher tier, your level will increase as normal. If you requalify on an existing tier, your status will be extended by the end of January 2023.

To ensure our Members still have the opportunity to use their Gold Upgrade Vouchers, Companion Vouchers and Travel Together Tickets earned via a British Airways credit card, weve applied 6-month expiration extension to any current vouchers.

See link to BA site for further FAQs.



Print Wikipost

Old Aug 4, 22, 1:30 pm
  #4891  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Northern Rocky Mountains
Programs: BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton & IHG
Posts: 438
Originally Posted by jplondon View Post
Your perspective, I just see that my previous membership year ending April I quite easily made the TP for GGL and that this year, ironically, post COVID, it will be harder for me. Reason being that I have to travel at exact days and times to exact locations, and cannot fly whenever BA decides to fly somewhere or is willing to offer me a ticket. Hence since April about a third of my flights have been SH with non OW, and I dont see this improve. Try booking some flights to basic European destinations end august or early September and the schedule is awful, So yes it seems for people with flexibility when to travel all is possible but for business travellers (that pay better money) it is less so, I am almost beyond now, whether they do something or not, but it sounds they may end up with higher tier member that will spend less than others.
I think it is an over-generalization that business travelers pay the freight and the leisure travelers will now be getting something for nothing.

I'm a leisure traveler and I pay full freight for almost all of my tickets (99% of the time in the front of the airplane). I don't end up using Avios for flights very often because it is hard to get the flights and cabins I want with award space, plus if I don't pay for enough of my flights I wont have enough TPs to retain status. I doubt that I am alone, and I also think that leisure travelers are going to make up a much larger part of the high dollar/GBP paying passengers going forward, because the curtailment of business travel is likely to be a permanent situation. This is not because of the continuing spread and mutation of Covid, rather it is a result of the last 2 years, when companies were forced to realize that jetting a bunch of employees around the world continuously could be replaced by much less frequent travel supplemented with internet/Zoom/etc. meetings and other substitutes.
champignon is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 1:54 pm
  #4892  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Alicante. Spain
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 17,524
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
i have 560tp from 4 qr flights for example

regarding your comment in your reply to Karfa about by post..


i did not say there were ways to earn TP without flying.

I did say there were way to earn TP without flying BA
That is quite true - I read
i do not see it myself, there are many ways to get the tp without flying ba
and ran off with the idea that it could be earned without flying.. I'm sorry as that was definitely the wrong end of the stick/
m8_rotate likes this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 2:03 pm
  #4893  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 4,512
Originally Posted by jplondon View Post
Your perspective, I just see that my previous membership year ending April I quite easily made the TP for GGL and that this year, ironically, post COVID, it will be harder for me. Reason being that I have to travel at exact days and times to exact locations, and cannot fly whenever BA decides to fly somewhere or is willing to offer me a ticket. Hence since April about a third of my flights have been SH with non OW, and I dont see this improve. Try booking some flights to basic European destinations end august or early September and the schedule is awful, So yes it seems for people with flexibility when to travel all is possible but for business travellers (that pay better money) it is less so, I am almost beyond now, whether they do something or not, but it sounds they may end up with higher tier member that will spend less than others.
Most of what you have said is nothing new. It is not a spend related program. I know from this board there are plenty of people who are gold that spend less than me as a silver. People fly ex EU for less money and more tier points.

Yes its tough to fly at times. yes that makes it difficult for some to retain their status.

But it does not justify blanket status extensions for all.

It may mean an extension to reduced thresholds but even that I doubt.

You will soft land somewhere and , if minded to, you will quickly regain your ggl.
jplondon and DiamondMile like this.
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 2:57 pm
  #4894  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold
Posts: 410
deleted

Last edited by danmushman; Aug 4, 22 at 3:24 pm Reason: wrong thread!
danmushman is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:04 pm
  #4895  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 11,518
Originally Posted by danmushman View Post
Hi
I'm looking at this run in Feb so I'm on US time for the Super Bowl. I think I need to book soon as its approaching 180 days in the future. Look ok for 920 TPs? Any ideas about optimising the route - the LAX-HNL legs look a bit rough in a recliner seat but I think should be ok.
I can only create this in Google Flights, I can't create it on the matrix (old or new).
Can anyone help? I'm ideally looking to see if I can pay in GBP to maximise Avios with the BA PP Amex.
If worse comes to worse I can book via the GF link on AA.com and pay in HUF on my no forex exchange card.
Did you mean to post this in this thread?
golfmad is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:16 pm
  #4896  
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 11,518
Originally Posted by danmushman View Post
Hi
I'm looking at this run in Feb so I'm on US time for the Super Bowl. I think I need to book soon as its approaching 180 days in the future. Look ok for 920 TPs? Any ideas about optimising the route - the LAX-HNL legs look a bit rough in a recliner seat but I think should be ok.
I can only create this in Google Flights, I can't create it on the matrix (old or new).
Can anyone help? I'm ideally looking to see if I can pay in GBP to maximise Avios with the BA PP Amex.
If worse comes to worse I can book via the GF link on AA.com and pay in HUF on my no forex exchange card.
I can't get those exact flights on Matrix because I can't replicate the first part. What's the routing of your BUD-JFK with the two stops? What's the other stop apart from HEL?
golfmad is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:19 pm
  #4897  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London-Nice
Programs: GGL
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
​​​​
you seem to be missing the context of your own story here. At the end of the day business travel is for the purpose of getting you somewhere to conduct business on behalf of your employer, not to earn status with an airline. The latter is only lucky consequence of the former
"Missing the context of my own story", what a lovely way to communicate on a forum. I think the point of a frequent traveller programme for an airline is to attract and retain its most valuable customers. Clearly full fare paying business travellers are a core audience and right now BA's schedule and ticket sales are not conducive to attracting or retaining that audience.

I dont know what travel policy you have but for me it is my choice and convenience above anything. If I can save a few mins or have a few mins more peace of mind by going through the same routine instead of to a different terminal or check-in procedure or different seat then that is worth it. Sure private etc, but my perspective was BA and the consequences of what is happening.
jplondon is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:24 pm
  #4898  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Did you mean to post this in this thread?
nope! moved - thanks
BUD-HNL from 1815 USD (oneworld)
golfmad likes this.
danmushman is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:29 pm
  #4899  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London-Nice
Programs: GGL
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think it is an over-generalization that business travelers pay the freight and the leisure travelers will now be getting something for nothing.

I'm a leisure traveler and I pay full freight for almost all of my tickets (99% of the time in the front of the airplane). I don't end up using Avios for flights very often because it is hard to get the flights and cabins I want with award space, plus if I don't pay for enough of my flights I wont have enough TPs to retain status. I doubt that I am alone, and I also think that leisure travelers are going to make up a much larger part of the high dollar/GBP paying passengers going forward, because the curtailment of business travel is likely to be a permanent situation. This is not because of the continuing spread and mutation of Covid, rather it is a result of the last 2 years, when companies were forced to realize that jetting a bunch of employees around the world continuously could be replaced by much less frequent travel supplemented with internet/Zoom/etc. meetings and other substitutes.
Yes I dont disagree, clearly business travel down and indeed more premium leisure. I wonder how the numbers add up, premium leisure on average must pay a lot less than old-style business traveller. My SH tickets last couple weeks are 600-1200 and my LH 6-18K for business due to short notice, short trips, fully flexible. My leisure premium flights are more 400 / 3000 in comparison.
jplondon is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:37 pm
  #4900  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London-Nice
Programs: GGL
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by scottishpoet View Post
Most of what you have said is nothing new. It is not a spend related program. I know from this board there are plenty of people who are gold that spend less than me as a silver. People fly ex EU for less money and more tier points.

Yes its tough to fly at times. yes that makes it difficult for some to retain their status.

But it does not justify blanket status extensions for all.

It may mean an extension to reduced thresholds but even that I doubt.

You will soft land somewhere and , if minded to, you will quickly regain your ggl.
Thanks, yes, I was more thinking from BA perspective that they might want to retain 'best paying' customers, but appreciate indeed programme not based on . But yes of course life goes on, no worries.
jplondon is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:39 pm
  #4901  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,881
Originally Posted by jplondon View Post
"Missing the context of my own story", what a lovely way to communicate on a forum. I think the point of a frequent traveller programme for an airline is to attract and retain its most valuable customers. Clearly full fare paying business travellers are a core audience and right now BA's schedule and ticket sales are not conducive to attracting or retaining that audience.

I dont know what travel policy you have but for me it is my choice and convenience above anything. If I can save a few mins or have a few mins more peace of mind by going through the same routine instead of to a different terminal or check-in procedure or different seat then that is worth it. Sure private etc, but my perspective was BA and the consequences of what is happening.
I am not sure I understand your argument. You seem to be agreeing with me that a FFP doesnt actually play a part on what you choose for your business travel, and as you say convenience is a major issue - which atm is leading you to choose other airlines.

In that context I am not clear why you think a further extension is needed? Unless you are actually saying you would keep travel with BA as you have status despite it not necessarily being the most convenient option? Or if BA doesnt give an extension are you saying you would choose other airlines in future even when BA returns to a normal schedule? Wouldnt you anyway since I assume you think they are generally more convenient for you?

At the end of the day as I noted this is business travel, not travel to collect status. The primary purpose is for you to conduct work for your employer and you should choose flights based on that, not which airline is giving you most trinkets.

EDIT: I am sorry my posts are a bit blunt, but frankly I have got fed up of reading post after post from business travellers constantly telling us how important and valuable they are to BA, and how BA must be nice to them and keep them happy, despite the fact they arent actually the ones that are valuable. It is the employer paying BA who is actually valuable.
jplondon and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 4, 22 at 3:45 pm
KARFA is online now  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:41 pm
  #4902  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Northern Rocky Mountains
Programs: BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton & IHG
Posts: 438
Originally Posted by jplondon View Post
Yes I dont disagree, clearly business travel down and indeed more premium leisure. I wonder how the numbers add up, premium leisure on average must pay a lot less than old-style business traveller. My SH tickets last couple weeks are 600-1200 and my LH 6-18K for business due to short notice, short trips, fully flexible. My leisure premium flights are more 400 / 3000 in comparison.
Most leisure travel does get booked further in advance than a lot of business travel, although that depends on the business travel. If it's part of a regular route taken at regular intervals, or it's attending conventions and conferences scheduled years in advance, those trips don't necessarily end up as high cost air travel cost trips.

The way that I personally get front of cabin seating on leisure trips is that I book far in advance and I pick my dates based upon pricing. All things being otherwise equal, I might be as happy with a 2 week long trip originating on April 7th or instead on April 19th, I'll put up with that in order to save a lot of money while still having the sort of travel experience, in and out of the aircraft cabin, as I want.

So I might spend $4,500 on a round trip 1st Class ticket from the West Coast of the USA to Europe, but then I'm going on days when the airline isn't as certain that they can fill that set of seats at high prices to business travelers, or they wouldn't be offering them to me at a lower cost 9 or 6 months in advance, either.

Whether my $4500 on those dates for those seats is worth less than some business travelers $10K on days when they could fill the cabin 3 times over, well that's a question for bean counters at the airline and not for me.
champignon is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 3:46 pm
  #4903  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 4,512
Originally Posted by jplondon View Post
Thanks, yes, I was more thinking from BA perspective that they might want to retain 'best paying' customers, but appreciate indeed programme not based on . But yes of course life goes on, no worries.
i see you said elsewhere...

' I think the point of a frequent traveller programme for an airline is to attract and retain its most valuable customers. '

While i can understand this line of thinking, the program is not revenue based. You can be ggl and never step foot in a ba aircraft. Your revenue to ba will be minimal. Compare that to people flying gla - lhr return in expensive Y tickets every other week, getting a mix of 10 and 20 TP per flight. 26x40 would not get you to Gold but you could spend a lot of money
jplondon likes this.
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 4:00 pm
  #4904  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London-Nice
Programs: GGL
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
I am not sure I understand your argument. You seem to be agreeing with me that a FFP doesn’t actually play a part on what you choose for your business travel, and as you say convenience is a major issue - which atm is leading you to choose other airlines.

In that context I am not clear why you think a further extension is needed? Unless you are actually saying you would keep travel with BA as you have status despite it not necessarily being the most convenient option? Or if BA doesn’t give an extension are you saying you would choose other airlines in future even when BA returns to a normal schedule? Wouldn’t you anyway since I assume you think they are generally more convenient for you?

At the end of the day as I noted this is business travel, not travel to collect status. The primary purpose is for you to conduct work for your employer and you should choose flights based on that, not which airline is giving you most trinkets.
Business travel does not mean employee travel.

Anyway, I think being GGL adds to the convenience, if I can concentrate all my travel with one company then I perceive and obtain convenience. So a FPP can actually rationally influence the decision to fly with a certain airline, and does not just offer trinkets. My point was that it is odd that this year it is harder to travel BA than last year, which is surprising to me, that's all.

"Wouldn't I anyway chose other airlines because I think they are more convenient, even if BA returns to normal schedule", not sure why you want to twist my words, I was rather clear that the reason I now had to fly other airlines is that BA does not offer the schedule they used to and that sometimes is required. If their last flight of the day returns at 4pm then that might not work for me.

So yes let's see what the future holds, have a nice evening.
KARFA likes this.
jplondon is offline  
Old Aug 4, 22, 4:03 pm
  #4905  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London-Nice
Programs: GGL
Posts: 1,417
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
EDIT: I am sorry my posts are a bit blunt, but frankly I have got fed up of reading post after post from business travellers constantly telling us how important and valuable they are to BA, and how BA must be nice to them and keep them happy, despite the fact they arent actually the ones that are valuable. It is the employer paying BA who is actually valuable.
Thank you, I appreciate the note. I am the employer.

My sole point of frustration/comment with current situation is that it is harder for me to travel this year than last, and thought it would be funny in a way that during covid I managed to remain ggl and this year I might not. But let's see, it's not April yet and for sure there are more important things in life.

Thank you
KARFA likes this.
jplondon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread