Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Except the previous n+1 respondents got it wrong in terms of IB. Any IB flight by Grupo Iberia, which means Iberia Express and Iberia Regional as well.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Ticket stock is completely irrelevant.

I don't know why there is such so much talk on FT about ticket stock.
I honestly find BAEC to be a bit more complicated than the US programs. I'm sorry for asking dumb questions as well.

corporate-wage-slave
TheChangingMan likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:03 pm

Question: currently I am GGL with an August year end with 800 TPs this year. My status has been extended until 2023. Should I even bother crediting TP to BA until the new TP collection year starts? Or in other words, will the TP collection reset in August?
The alternative for me would be to credit flights to AA and build up status there (I am based in the US now).
Old May 8, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Chrfly
Question: currently I am GGL with an August year end with 800 TPs this year. My status has been extended until 2023. Should I even bother crediting TP to BA until the new TP collection year starts? Or in other words, will the TP collection reset in August?
The alternative for me would be to credit flights to AA and build up status there (I am based in the US now).
Yes, your TPs will reset after 8 August 2022 in the usual way.

As to what you should do, one consideration would be BA lifetime TPs.

And seeing as you have BA status, what would be the advantages of you earning status in AA in parallel? As I've said in another thread today, that is a genuine question. If there's a good reason - for example, if you're planning to move your oneworld status from BA to AA - then you are correct that you wouldn't lose your BA status by not crediting any more TPs to BA until after 8 August 2022, and it may be worth forgoing the addition to the lifetime TPs. But if you'd be earning in AA just to collect another shiny badge, there would seem to be little point.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:14 pm

Thanks! The rationale here would be that (1) I moved to the USA last year and therefore AA can be more useful and (2) I typically fly fully flex biz class tickets which are capped at 140 TP each way while AA’s program is revenue based.
Old May 8, 2022, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

Hi

The TP collection will reset on 9th august (ie flights taken on or before the 8th will count as this years and then be reset to zero on the 9th)

However any tier points earned will add to your Lifetime tier point total. ( plus of course you will get the extra avios due to GGL (Gold status) if crediting to BAEC whereas you would get fewer Avios if crediting to AA)

Also on purely domestic AA flights , BAEC gets you access to the Admirals/Flagship lounges

Regards

TBS

PS Ah globaliser beat me to it
jerry a. laska and m8_rotate like this.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Thanks! The rationale here would be that (1) I moved to the USA last year and therefore AA can be more useful and (2) I typically fly fully flex biz class tickets which are capped at 140 TP each way while AA’s program is revenue based.
I think the better question here is whether you'll fly enough between now and August to earn meaningful status on AA? If you'll hit ExP and can benefit from the SWUs then I'd say definitely do that.

Also if you're flying full flex J tickets and therefore would likely be hitting CK if you moved everything to AA - you may want to reconsider your status after August as well. Living in the US if it was a choice between BA GGL and AA CK I'd take the latter.

Also AA miles are MUCH more valuable than Avios.
Old May 10, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
I think I understood it now, but I would appreciate if someone could confirm...

I am GGL of date 8 May. I need to make 2250 tier points by December this year or 3000 by May next year to renew... correct? To be honest not sure what's more difficult...

We have reduced the amount of Tier Points required to renew your Tier status by 25% throughout 2022. As a Gold Guest List member, this means that you could renew your Gold Guest List membership if you earn 2,250 Tier Points by the 31st December 2022. From 1st January 2023, the normal Tier Point thresholds will then apply.

Last edited by docsxx; May 10, 2022 at 8:41 am
Old May 10, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by docsxx
I think I understood it now, but I would appreciate if someone could confirm...

I am GGL of date 8 May. I need to make 2250 tier points by December this year or 3000 by May next tear to renew... correct? To be honest not sure what's more difficult...

We have reduced the amount of Tier Points required to renew your Tier status by 25% throughout 2022. As a Gold Guest List member, this means that you could renew your Gold Guest List membership if you earn 2,250 Tier Points by the 31st December 2022. From 1st January 2023, the normal Tier Point thresholds will then apply.
That's correct. I have a November year end and will be looking to renew at 2250 by end-December.
docsxx and m8_rotate like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
That's correct. I have a November year end and will be looking to renew at 2250 by end-December.
Thanks! Good luck trying to make 2250 in six weeks...
Old May 10, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I'm sure someone's done it before
David_Doyle likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Pah! Lightweight! You can do 1,000 in a weekend easy

Seriously though, I should be in Oz for Christmas so on an ex-EU that's 380 in each direction. A friend wants to go to San Francisco in November so we may do a Tier Point / Cost Optimised trip for that for a further 840 or so. Would leave about 600 remaining.

Not sure what I'll be doing in 2023 yet, but a reduction in 750 for requalification is interesting to make use of before end of year.
sl1ppy likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC
I mentioned a while back that I was curious if I could get a sort of extension so that I could get the last few points needed to meet the calendar year 2022 reduced threshold for GGL on the return of a trip in the first week of January. Asked the twiter team and sepatrately sent an email about a month ago. Today received this rather amusing reply that doesn't even answer the question I asked. And the answer that is provided sends some very mixed signals. On one hand, it says it's too early for a decision. On the other hand, I am being offered a two-week extension to my collection year! And the finally...wait for it...I'm told to get back in touch and they will review my status.

Anyway, it will all probably be moot as I look on target to get the reduced threshold by year end without needing the first week of Jan for the final points. And failing that, I will definitely get to 5k TPs by April 8, so I won't need the extenson they seem to be offering here.
Attached Images  
Old May 11, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I'm sure someone's done it before
(Hand up)

Well it was 2,040 points - from 8th Nov through to Christmas, using the double tier points offer.

Shame the double TP offer ends just before my reset
FlightDetective likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: ba
hi - sorry for asking a potentially redundant question but this extension has confused me.

I have 940 tier points and my collection end year ends Aug 8th 2022 and card expiry (gold) is 30 Sep 2023.

So can someone explain to me whether its worth trying to get 1125 TP before 8/8/22? What happens after this date - does it reset and then I have to collect again by Sep 23 which would make me gold until Sep 2024? If I do get 1125 TP before 8/8/22, for when would I be gold until?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.