Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TedToToe
The fact that my daughter, with leisure travel only, is likely to make Gold this year, is testament to this. However, in her case at least, I would put it down to double tier points on holiday bookings more so than the reduced threshold.
I suppose the difference is that leisure-travel daughter may well slip bank to silver when the crisis and double TPs have receded, and reduced thresholds disappeared.

But if work-travel dad has lost status, he will quickly regain it when business picks up and restriction recede. And it's likely that part, or all, of that initial, status-free travel will be in a premium cabin with the passenger entitled to most of the comforts status would bring.

The obsession with holding status at a time when the holder isn't travelling is a puzzle. But if the emotional comfort gained from possessing a shiny card is great, then surely the remedy for those grounded by employers and clients, is to put hands in their own pockets and join the double-point BAH crowd and earn some TPs.
James91, TedToToe, zen100 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aks120
I completely agree and in fact would be very miffed if another extension was forthcoming.
Disappointment at the good fortune of others, otherwise envy: a rather darker version of Schadenfreude.

It's probably less stressful to rejoice that you had the foresight and wherewithal to assure your position.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Disappointment at the good fortune of others,
Well, not at all, but it's just the whiff of the concept of fairness that's possibly in the ether.

But life isn't fair as we all know, so let's just move on.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
Well, not at all, but it's just the whiff of the concept of fairness that's possibly in the ether.
Something like feeling miffed when you're aware someone has been upgraded to a cabin you paid to be in. Envy, unhappiness, or we might settle on disquiet, at the good fortune of others.

The slightly warped notion of equity is what leads to unedifying demands for special treatment, such as those we saw earlier. That was where groups who maintained their status under normal terms of a FFP demanded additional benefits in compensation for others being given a helping hand towards their own nirvana.

Carriers with calendar year memberships aren't immune from generating such ill will, but i reckon they have an easier time of it. Over at Lufthansa they gave one-year extensions to all, then double TP equivalents to end-June, and told us to get on with it: but there's still been chunnering

Same but moreso with Hilton. But I guess you're right: it's human nature.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've had a couple of extensions from Hilton and before that, via GGL. Barely stay at their hotels, so whilst Diamond may cost nothing much to them, they're not getting me spending ££££ with them.
Up to 3 stays this year after Tuesday, so nowhere near requalifying They could look at my stay patterns and see i wouldnt even get the base level on an average year, so why bother with me? It's not encouraged me to stay more with them. Prefer another brand to be honest.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
(...) emotional comfort gained from possessing a shiny card is great (...)
You don't even get the bloody things anymore! 😂
Old Apr 17, 2022, 2:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Disappointment at the good fortune of others, otherwise envy: a rather darker version of Schadenfreude.

It's probably less stressful to rejoice that you had the foresight and wherewithal to assure your position.

Oh wait you are serious …… I think! So I am envious just because I think people should be rewarded for what they pay for, not what they THINK they are entitled to?

aks120

Last edited by aks120; Apr 17, 2022 at 11:18 pm Reason: Made it simpler
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aks120

Oh wait you are serious …… I think! So I am Invidia just because I think people should be rewarded for what they pay for, not what they THINK they are entitled to? Quite frankly I will take any Goddess status these days I do wonder who my Nemesis may be - this might be quite exciting!

aks120
Reward for paying for things? For me there is no reward if it's merely a transction, you're just getting what you paid for. For me this is where all the wording and emotional attachment becomes blurred. That is what has happened to the AA system. Now the only people who get rewarded are those with enormous CC spends on AA and partners. So you can have someone who flies 6-10 times a year on AA who will get "rewarded" with upgrades etc and someone who flies 30-40 times a year because they don't have the CC spending power outside of flying. At the end of the day it's all a transaction and BA are only going to take decisions that benefit the bottom line. They've got some clever minds in rev management and I'm sure they've run numerous simulations of extending and not extending and will be faily confident of getting the financial decision right. Only time will tell, of course...
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
.....and you can have someone doing 1 or 2 ex-SOF TP runs or similar and getting Gold for perhaps the average price of a CW return to JFK.
jonr405 and TTmex like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by xenole
.....and you can have someone doing 1 or 2 ex-SOF TP runs or similar and getting Gold for perhaps the average price of a CW return to JFK.
Wonder how long until this becomes a thing of the past. I fear that give it a few years the next phase of aviation with be to revenue spend systems everywhere. Doesn't mean it will last forever has these things are already dynamic, but I believe there will be more of a shift towards European based airlines taking on Rev-based systems like the US where those who don't spent enough will simply be left at the bottom of the pecking order. I hope it doesn't happen too soon, but it wouldn't suprise me if it did.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alex67500
You don't even get the bloody things anymore! 😂

OK, the comfort of the virtual representation of a shiny card on their iphone
Old Apr 17, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TTmex
….At the end of the day it's all a transaction and BA are only going to take decisions that benefit the bottom line. They've got some clever minds in rev management and I'm sure they've run numerous simulations of extending and not extending and will be faily confident of getting the financial decision right....
Perhaps they could lend those clever minds to the IT department. They must be losing a fortune every time the IT fails.
alex67500, zen100 and TTmex like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: BA, Air NZ, Qantas
Requalified as Silver

My tier point collection year ends 8 July 2022 and card expires 31 Aug 2022. I have just reached 450 tier points and have 5 qualifying flights. As I have requalified under the reduced thresholds, when will this show in the app or online? Currently the app is showing what I need to get to gold and still has 31 Aug 2022 expiry.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
Perhaps they could lend those clever minds to the IT department. They must be losing a fortune every time the IT fails.
Agreed indeed. It would be a wise move
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by air_boi
My tier point collection year ends 8 July 2022 and card expires 31 Aug 2022. I have just reached 450 tier points and have 5 qualifying flights. As I have requalified under the reduced thresholds, when will this show in the app or online? Currently the app is showing what I need to get to gold and still has 31 Aug 2022 expiry.
it takes a few days but you’ll be fine. Well done on requalifyîng.
m8_rotate likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.