Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
It's definitely not fair for North Americans like me not to have a double TP offer. However, I have already booked flights that will get me to Gold before the end of 2022.
Indeed life is not fair... e.g. UK based people look enviously at US only offers such as AMEX>Avios 40% Bonuses or the US only cards (BA visa) that almost double the Avios per spent, glad you could make gold on the reduced thresholds thou, ive slowed down my BA spend, so unless there is an extension ill slowly fade away to silver or bronze over the next few years as i am choosing flights that avoid T5 these days.
lsquare and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by KARFA
well I agree on that point, but it could be suggested that with a very large domestic travel network with AA & AS you have lots of opportunities for restriction free travel which hasnt necessarily been the case for UK based members. Although the requirement for 4 eligible flights is clearly an issue for non UK members.

personally I havent taken any advantage of the double TP offer as I rarely book using BAH.
The four BA segments are really annoying, and I wish BA would suspend that requirement during the pandemic. Having said that, and as I had mentioned in the LHR-HEL thread, I'm going to book a flight all the way to London Heathrow on a SkyTeam carrier to accrue some MQMs and then go on a TP run from LHR-HEL. I am not looking forward to the tatl flight in economy, but I am looking forward to doing the TP run on an A350 in business class with AY.
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
indeed, of course they can. They could scrap BAEC altogether if they wanted to. I am suggesting that they wont indefinitely protect your status just because your business travel continues to be non existent.

I would have more sympathy if business travellers didnt frame their argument as I cant travel therefore BA must protect my status. People can travel for leisure if they wish and gain TPs from that if status is important to them, and BA is not under obligation to protect your status indefinitely because your employer wont pay for your business trips or you can no longer go to China etc. where you used to go 5 times a month. It can come across as a sense of entitlement - and yes I note the irony of using that term when it comes to status and FFPs
again thats a strawman argument. You seem to be interpreting any reference to ba are choosing to protect some types of status and not others as ba should protect me rather than others , but thats just in your head, not in my words.

if I want ba to show more flexibility to me, Ill ask them, not here. Here I was merely observing what looks like a move from universal to targeted (which by the way May still change. Im not part of those who say theyve made up their minds for good and personally wouldnt exclude a further extension but thats another matter).
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
again thats a strawman argument. You seem to be interpreting any reference to ba are choosing to protect some types of status and not others as ba should protect me rather than others , but thats just in your head, not in my words.

if I want ba to show more flexibility to me, Ill ask them, not here. Here I was merely observing what looks like a move from universal to targeted (which by the way May still change. Im not part of those who say theyve made up their minds for good and personally wouldnt exclude a further extension but thats another matter).
well I am not clear then, whose status are you asking to be protected, you, other selections of members, everyone? Or are you suggesting that you are content with there being no further extensions?

still sounds like special pleading for business travellers tbh, because my business travel has reduced BA must look after me and protect my status - well no they dont have to, and if status is important to you, then book some flights and earn some TPs

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 16, 2022 at 7:35 am
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold, oneworld Emerald, Marriott Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by TarquinMontague
If anything they should be increasing the thresholds, it's getting too easy to attain these days just look at the state of the lounges.
I wrote the word "renewal". Currently easy because of the double points promotion and temporary lowered thresholds.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
well I am not clear then, whose status are you asking to be protected, you, other selections of members, everyone? Or are you suggesting that you are content with there being no further extensions?

still sounds like special pleading for business travellers tbh, because my business travel has reduced BA must look after me and protect my status - well no they dont have to, and if status is important to you, then book some flights and earn some TPs
my take is not so much about business v leisure, but about locations BA are or are not serving at the moment
While there may be plenty of BA flights from LHR for people based in the UK to take their pick from, those of us not in the UK who had far fewer services may find BA has not yet returned or BA may still have a limited number of flights.

In those circumstances I think there is a case for BA to look at the situation and possibly make some exceptions

as an exmpl, with only 1 BA flight a day, and the recent record of it being caneclled every other day, its still a challenge for me to have the confidence to book a BA ticket from here. fortunately I have some time before my status expires. others in a similar situation may not be so fortunate
orbitmic, lsquare, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I suppose you could argue that Ryanair might fly from country X to the U when BA don't (yet), and at the end of the day, that airline could provide a means of getting somewhere for those 4 flights.

There are bound to be losers at the end of the day as well as winners.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
Originally Posted by Jaenks
I wrote the word "renewal". Currently easy because of the double points promotion and temporary lowered thresholds.
I don't see why it should be lower for a "renewal"
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by xenole
I suppose you could argue that Ryanair might fly from country X to the U when BA don't (yet), and at the end of the day, that airline could provide a means of getting somewhere for those 4 flights.

There are bound to be losers at the end of the day as well as winners.
I agree there will always be someone else you can fly with

I just feel that telling previous frequent flyers that the only way they can maintain status is by first flying with a competitor to get them somewhere BA is flying from seems a little Ironic

what would possibly help would be if BA allowed me to book connecting flights on their website using S* airlines to places BA do fly from, in the same way QR does

Last edited by scottishpoet; Apr 16, 2022 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 16, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
thats because I was not asking for anyones status to be extended. I was answering a post saying (in a nutshell) the proof that status is very/too easy to achieve is that my leisure travelling daughter has managed by noting that the fact she has doesnt mean its easy for anyone too renew, but just that she is likely among one of the segments least affected by current downturn whilst others segments will find it a lot harder.

since you ask, I would personally be favourable to further extensions for all and many other airlines are still protecting everyones status if only because they are on a calendar year. However that was not what my post was about. It would be a sad world - and an excruciatingly boring flyertalk - one in which people would only post to ask stuff and with ulterior motives. Most of us - you and I included - often post about information or perceptions and not only to express requests let alone demands.
TTmex likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Apr 16, 2022 at 9:42 am
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
that’s because I was not asking for anyone’s status to be extended. I was answering a post saying (in a nutshell) the proof that status is very/too easy to achieve is that my leisure travelling daughter has managed by noting that the fact she has doesn’t mean it’s easy for anyone too renew, but just that she is likely among one of the segments least affected by current downturn whilst others segments will find it a lot harder.
yes, and if i may say so this is where your whole original post was flawed by suggesting business travellers would find it harder to renew than leisure travellers. it is only true if a business traveller wants to exclusively rely on attainting points from travel paid for by their employer and travelling in the course of their work, and is unwilling to put their hand in their own pocket and pay for some leisure travel. the opportunities for also doing leisure travel are no less than for those who don't have business travel to rely upon.

those who rely on their own travel to attain status must do it on their own dime and in their own time, so it quite simply is not easier for leisure travellers. if only i had the luxury of relying on someone else to pay for my travel and doing it as part of my job, that truly would be a lot easier
IAN-UK, kath2049, ceej123 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 16, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:30 am

yes, and if i may say so this is where your whole original post was flawed by suggesting business travellers would find it harder to renew than leisure travellers. it is only true if a business traveller wants to exclusively rely on attainting points from travel paid for by their employer and travelling in the course of their work, and is unwilling to put their hand in their own pocket and pay for some leisure travel. the opportunities for also doing leisure travel are no less than for those who don't have business travel to rely upon.

those who rely on their own travel to attain status must do it on their own dime and in their own time, so it quite simply is not easier for leisure travellers. if only i had the luxury of relying to someone else to pay for my travel and doing it as part of my job, that truly would be a lot easier
Hear hear. This.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:59 am

those who rely on their own travel to attain status must do it on their own dime and in their own time, so it quite simply is not easier for leisure travellers. if only i had the luxury of relying on someone else to pay for my travel and doing it as part of my job, that truly would be a lot easier
whatever. You can reread post 4415 if you wish or not if you dont. As it seems the goal is more to pick up a fight than to understand what others write, Ill let you continue that with anyone who shares such a taste. Im not one of them.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I suspect BA will deal with this in exactly the same way they deal with the TPs earned on the 8th (last day) of a Membership Year being posted a few days later. It will be a relatively simple exercise; a simple interrogation of the membership database with status extended for those who met the reduced renewal/promotion thresholds by 31 December. I expect BA will continue their strict observance of the qualification criteria for promotion to GGL. IIRC two week extensions have never been offered to GGL promotions and I can’t see why they would change that now especially with the very generous reduced qualification threshold. I cannot see BA will offer the two week extension for reduced TP qualification at any tier.

I mentioned here several months ago the mood music about global status extensions was there would be no more, that same mood music is that reduced thresholds will end on 31 January unless travel restrictions are reintroduced.
But that's code which has been in place for years - and while the 1st Jan extension (or whenever they do it "in January 2023" according to the FAQ) looks kind of similar, there are some subtle differences. What we may think should be a relatively simple exercise - could be excuitately complicated for (outsourced) BA IT.

In the end, we don't know. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if a 1st Jan flight slipped through. However, if it should happen to anyone, they should consider themselves lucky and keep their mouth shut.

Last edited by zen100; Apr 16, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I completely agree and in fact would be very miffed if another extension was forthcoming. As a Sep renewer, I have spent my hard earned money flying to retain GGL this year. If they suddenly extended my GGL for another year, that would have all been for nothing! So I am afraid, if you want status, it need# to be earned again.

I have always thought folks who earn status through business spend rather than personal should have to attain a higher number of TPs anyway

aks120
MaxFlyer, bafan, lsquare and 4 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.