Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:27 am
Suspended

Have the GGL thresholds been lowered?
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Thanks… so 50% of the time to get 75% of the TPs? That’s how I read it but it hardly seems logical!
Correct, though previously with it ending in June, you would not have had that opportunity at all and would have had to earn full whack from July 2022 to June 2023 regardless. It will impact different people in different ways.

The only alternative I could see would be just to "permanently" reduce them, then put it back at a time in the future, but it would have resulted the same outcome.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by hellohello113
I'm an April Silver member and I just received an email about the extension. However, I was already on a path to retaining my silver status before April 2022 (not yet qualified). If i receive an extension on the first week of January, and then meet the 450TP afterwards before April 2022, does that give me potentially 2-year extension, or the TP I collected this year doesn't mean a thing unless I was aiming for Gold?

Thanks!
Sadly not an extended 2-year extension, if it's like previous 'extensions'. I'm a Sept year end, and had already re-qualified for Silver (valid to Sept 2021) before the first lockdown in 2020, so my 'extension' to 2021 was nothing extra. I then hit Gold just before my 2020 year end, and this was extended to 2022.

So if you have/will re-qualify, it's only of use if you're aiming for the next tier.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by exeu2017
Have the GGL thresholds been lowered?
Yes. 2250 renewing, 3750 acquiring
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Have to say I am quite confused by this.

As a July renewer, I was already on the 25% reduction, or so my membership page said anyway. This email doesn't change anything, does it?

Or I have I managed to miss something quite fundamental??
Assuming nothing else changes between now and July then I suspect that you will benefit from a reduced threshold for the first few months of your next collection year. It will have no impact on this collection year
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well that happened a lot quicker than expected. Great stuff for those who benefitted this time around. Nice to see the reduced thresholds extended as well.
izzik likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:53 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
actually quite pleased w this. while i expire in sept, the end of year lower threshold will make retaining ggl in the new year easier. for this current year, i have resumed my normal schedule and already hit 2300TP in my first three months and will have exceeded 5500TP by month 6 (end of feb really).

but in my "new" year i would only need the lower 2250TP to retain GGL and finally hit GFL which is a nice little side effect.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
As an April renewal based at a location which currently has 1 OW flight in and out 3 days a week if we are lucky then I am delighted to get my Silver extended!

The complete lack of OW presence here for most of this year has made flying OW very difficult!

Now to see if I can benefit from the reduced threshold for next years renewal
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:02 am

Thanks… so 50% of the time to get 75% of the TPs? That’s how I read it but it hardly seems logical!
Yes, assuming nothing else changes you would have 6 months to get to 75% of the TPs for renewal/next tier. If you don't make it then for the last 6 months of that renewal year it will revert back to full TP to renew/get to the next tier.

Those of us with April renewals were staring at a potential 3 months on the reduced threshold till this was announced. September renewals will see that now, October only 2 months

Not sure its "illogical". The value of the benefit will vary from person to person depending on their flying pattern and how much its affected.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It isn't, but I suspect it is a reflection of the limitations imposed by their systems.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Indeed - I am well pleased as well. In fact I am only 55 points off achieving Gold again. I am sure that we will have others who are less pleased - but there it is.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by izzik
So, bottom line -- don't plan on BA extending status.
Glad to be wrong!
kyushuman and Nephoi like this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: BA GOLD VA SILVER MARRIOTT TITANIUM IHG AMBASSADOR
We are all happy to knock them

Originally Posted by prof
You mean 9 April 2023, right? (You’re now ok until then).
But this time you have to say (April 8th 22 Expiry) thanks and well done.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 6:47 am

Must say that the FAQ provided is confusing to me, as a June member.

​​​​​​How do I benefit from the reduced Tier Point requirement to upgrade or renew my Tier?
Currently, the 25% reduced Tier Point thresholds apply to Members with a Tier Point collection end date until December 2022 as follows:
Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flights
Silver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flights
Gold: 1125 Tier Points
This means that Members with a Tier Point collection end date up to June 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to upgrade their Tier status.
Members with a Tier Point collection end date between July 2022 and December 2022 can benefit from the reduced Tier Point thresholds to retain, or upgrade, their Tier status.

Am I interpreting correctly that:
- The lower TP requirements would apply for your whole membership year as long as it renews before December 2022, not contingent on whether the lower TPs are achieved before 31 December 2022 and, if you don't, then reverts to the full TPs from 1 January 2023 onwards?
- For members whose membership end date are up to June 2022, it doesn't explicitly say that the reduced TPs are applicable to retain your status starting the year after your status was extended, as the FAQ states the lower TPs are only applicable when upgrading your status?
Arsey00 likes this.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Dec 21, 2021 at 7:11 am
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:06 am

This has been the subject of debate and conjecture for a long time.

Expectation is the reduced tier threshold will revert to normal threshold at the specified date (currently dec 2022). If you make it to the reduced threshold before that date great, if not then you will need meet the normal threshold at any date after that
FlightDetective likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 21, 2021 at 7:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.