Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
When does your partner's TP year run? Is it the same as you?

If you can provide dates on your partner's case per questions above, we can probably work out why they have 2022.
Thanks for your detailed reply! His TP is Dec-Dec and he got to 300TP in Nov 19. I was on 220 for the same period as mine is Sept-Sept. Our 300TPs were between Oct 18 and Oct 19 but obviously I’d earnt 80 of them prior to Sep 19 and lost them on the reset. Hope that makes sense. Basically in the 4 months between our TP years we gained 80TP’s that all fell into the same year for him but different years for mine.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jimbojumbo
Thanks for your detailed reply! His TP is Dec-Dec and he got to 300TP in Nov 19. I was on 220 for the same period as mine is Sept-Sept. Our 300TPs were between Oct 18 and Oct 19 but obviously I’d earnt 80 of them prior to Sep 19 and lost them on the reset. Hope that makes sense. Basically in the 4 months between our TP years we gained 80TP’s that all fell into the same year for him but different years for mine.
Okay, yes, that makes sense so let's see if we can lay out the timeline of what has happened, and when dates get updated etc. Firstly, your partner:

1) Prior to Nov '19, he would have an expiry date of Jan 31, 2020, because everyone gets to the end of the month following their TP collection year.
2) In Nov '19 he steps up to Bronze. When this happens, the system takes his current expiry and adds 1 year, so at this point he now has an expiry date of Jan 31 2021
3) In Jun '20 when BA processed the extensions, he gets 1 year added to his expiry, so it becomes Jan 31 2022 which I presume is what it is now.

Compare that to your own case

1) Prior to Jun '20, you would have an expiry of Oct 31, 2020 (being the month after your TP year of Sep)
2) In Jun '20, BA process the extensions. This is only supposition, but here we are presuming that your expiry date was not modified. (What does an "extension" to Blue mean, after all). So your expiry is presumably still Oct 31, 2020
3) In the past few days you step up to Bronze, and the system applies the normal rule for stepping up a tier, i.e. take whatever your expiry is and add 1 year, so you get Oct 31 2021

I do want to stress that point 2 above in your case is based on what I think the system did, but I don't think we have any reports of expiry dates actually changing when the "extension" was applied to Blue members. To answer that question we need a member who was blue prior to June and is still Blue where we could see what their expiry date currently is? Can anyone help?

Now it probably seems somewhat unfair that he got an extension when you didn't. You'll not have to go far to find many who agree with you. You can certainly try asking BA about it - if nothing else it would add to the weight of comment and complaints, but I strongly suspect you'll just get the normal platitudes in response. As I noted, maybe the system will update you to 2022 over the coming days, but I really don't hold out much hope of that.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 5:00 am

Okay, yes, that makes sense so let's see if we can lay out the timeline of what has happened, and when dates get updated etc. Firstly, your partner:

1) Prior to Nov '19, he would have an expiry date of Jan 31, 2020, because everyone gets to the end of the month following their TP collection year.
2) In Nov '19 he steps up to Bronze. When this happens, the system takes his current expiry and adds 1 year, so at this point he now has an expiry date of Jan 31 2021
3) In Jun '20 when BA processed the extensions, he gets 1 year added to his expiry, so it becomes Jan 31 2022 which I presume is what it is now.

Compare that to your own case

1) Prior to Jun '20, you would have an expiry of Oct 31, 2020 (being the month after your TP year of Sep)
2) In Jun '20, BA process the extensions. This is only supposition, but here we are presuming that your expiry date was not modified. (What does an "extension" to Blue mean, after all). So your expiry is presumably still Oct 31, 2020
3) In the past few days you step up to Bronze, and the system applies the normal rule for stepping up a tier, i.e. take whatever your expiry is and add 1 year, so you get Oct 31 2021

I do want to stress that point 2 above in your case is based on what I think the system did, but I don't think we have any reports of expiry dates actually changing when the "extension" was applied to Blue members. To answer that question we need a member who was blue prior to June and is still Blue where we could see what their expiry date currently is? Can anyone help?

Now it probably seems somewhat unfair that he got an extension when you didn't. You'll not have to go far to find many who agree with you. You can certainly try asking BA about it - if nothing else it would add to the weight of comment and complaints, but I strongly suspect you'll just get the normal platitudes in response. As I noted, maybe the system will update you to 2022 over the coming days, but I really don't hold out much hope of that.
Your explanation makes total sense. I would see how the thought process behind this year extension works in my case - as you say Blue is the default so how can (or why would you?) extend a default you did nothing to “earn”.

However, as noted upthread, the blurb surrounding this from BA was always aimed at “every member” so one would assume they would extend anyone’s gain in status (however lowly) to 2 years. No matter, I shall wait until I return from my holidays and drop them a cursory email - it’s not massively important to me and they certainly have bigger fish to fry at the moment, as do us all. Thank you very much Bertie.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:24 am

Quick question for you experts;

My current tier point collection year ends 8th October, I have a flight booked that returns on the 7th October that gives me enough tier points to jump up. However I'm just concerned that it takes a few days for points to appear on the account after flying which would be after the 8th. As the flight is on the 7th will those earnt points definitely count towards my existing collection year and help me move up a rank? TIA
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Skyflyer1664

My current tier point collection year ends 8th October, I have a flight booked that returns on the 7th October that gives me enough tier points to jump up. However I'm just concerned that it takes a few days for points to appear on the account after flying which would be after the 8th. As the flight is on the 7th will those earnt points definitely count towards my existing collection year and help me move up a rank? TIA
Firstly, welcome to FlyerTalk. Hopefully one of the forum ambassadors will be along shortly to give you the proper intro.

Your question is a common one, and I'm glad to say that you have no need to worry. Any flight taken up to midnight local time on the 8th Oct (or corresponding year-end month for others reading) will ultimately credit to your current collection year. It is the time of the flight that matters, not the time of the credit.

You may see the points initially appear in your new 20-21 year, but do not worry. They will be retroactively credited to the year you flew them in, and removed from the new year. So relax, and look forward to your new tier.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:33 am

Firstly, welcome to FlyerTalk. Hopefully one of the forum ambassadors will be along shortly to give you the proper intro.

Your question is a common one, and I'm glad to say that you have no need to worry. Any flight taken up to midnight local time on the 8th Oct (or corresponding year-end month for others reading) will ultimately credit to your current collection year. It is the time of the flight that matters, not the time of the credit.

You may see the points initially appear in your new 20-21 year, but do not worry. They will be retroactively credited to the year you flew them in, and removed from the new year. So relax, and look forward to your new tier.
That's great, thanks for putting my mind at rest! And thanks for the welcome too! 😉
firstlight, BertieBadger and AJA_ like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
No need for us Ambassadors you did it perfectly BertieBadger
Welcome along Skyflyer1664
orbitmic, BertieBadger and AJA_ like this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Hello Skyflyer1664, an additional welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board and I hope you find this place useful which it is with a massive amount of knowledge shared by the members.

As BertieBadger has said it's not when they post but the actual date of your flight so your fine there to move up a level.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Hello Skyflyer1664, an additional welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board and I hope you find this place useful which it is with a massive amount of knowledge shared by the members.

As BertieBadger has said it's not when they post but the actual date of your flight so your fine there to move up a level.
Thank you PETER01! Yes the amount of knowledge on here is great, I've been reading with interest for a while so thought it was the time to join! 🙂
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thank you PETER01! Yes the amount of knowledge on here is great, I've been reading with interest for a while so thought it was the time to join! 🙂
Well, you've done the right thing there.

For info you are limited to 5 posts the first day.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 12:18 pm

So as expected, my wifes account reset on the 8th and she maintained silver with no extension. She has enough total cancellations to meet the original gold threshold and enough cancellations post-June to meet the reduced gold threshold. I have submitted a claim via the online form and will see what they say. Previously been refused when I called up but prior to the year-end reset

thanks
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by hash
So as expected, my wifes account reset on the 8th and she maintained silver with no extension. She has enough total cancellations to meet the original gold threshold and enough cancellations post-June to meet the reduced gold threshold. I have submitted a claim via the online form and will see what they say. Previously been refused when I called up but prior to the year-end reset

thanks
UPDATE, BA have upgraded wife to Gold and have considered the cancellations, no extension but better than nothing

thanks

Hash
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thumbs down Lucky her

Originally Posted by hash
UPDATE, BA have upgraded wife to Gold and have considered the cancellations, no extension but better than nothing

thanks

Hash
I have just been told that they will not upgrade me based on cancelled flights “to be fair to all our loyal customers”. I am 55 TPs short and have lost 220 TPs due to 2 cancelled flights. Not happy.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Tdgraves
I have just been told that they will not upgrade me based on cancelled flights “to be fair to all our loyal customers”. I am 55 TPs short and have lost 220 TPs due to 2 cancelled flights. Not happy.
(I assume that the 55TP shortfall does not take account of the cancelled 220TP, i.e. if you'd flown then you would be 165TP over the threshold)

These inconsistencies are very frustrating, and that tired old canard about "loyal customers" just rubs salt into the wounds.

I would go back to them and politely ask them to revisit the question, specifically using their own response as the basis for doing so - i.e. I would agree with them on the importance of fairness, and then point out that the Executive Club has, as an undisputed matter of public record, awarded the upgraded tier to a number of members in your position based upon cancellations. Since everyone is agreed that fairness is important, you can suggest that their unequal treatment of you is merely an unfortunate oversight on their part

Will it get you anywhere? Probably not, but you can at least try. If nothing else, it will add further to the weight of complaints on this matter such that they eventually might decide to take another look at it, and even if it doesn't do that you can always have fun see what logical knots they twist themselves into trying to justify the decision....
Old Sep 16, 2020, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
(I assume that the 55TP shortfall does not take account of the cancelled 220TP, i.e. if you'd flown then you would be 165TP over the threshold..
correct. I have 1070 TPs now, it would have been 1290. I also had plans for a US conference in CW which would have taken me over 1500, if it wasn’t cancelled due to COVID (and so had not yet booked).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.