Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
Not all July year ends have a 2021 end date. Those July year ends who upgraded to the next level prior or as a result of the reduced thresholds last year would have an August 2022 date, myself included.
Yes and this creates anomalies where newly promoted GGL remains GGL until 2022 and existing GGL of many years can end up as silver from August this year with the same number of TPs earned during the last 12 months.
irishguy28 and esledo like this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Yes and this creates anomalies where newly promoted GGL remains GGL until 2022 and existing GGL of many years can end up as silver from August this year with the same number of TPs earned during the last 12 months.

It wouldn’t be BA if it wasn’t consistently inconsistent. I don’t know why people are getting worried about this. If BA announced extensions or TP reductions now without a meaningful policy to be announced in April and travel not allowed for leisure until at least May it would be futile. As it is with a Sept renewal and Oct card extension the only benefit I’ve managed to use is seat assignment on the numerous cancelled bookings that I’ve had which I would have got as Silver.

let’s hope BA do the right thing. If they don’t or some gain more than others that’s life and we can have a strop and change alliances or we can deal with the new normal. There’s a lot of dealing with the new normal in all walks of life that we have to deal with. Flying is just one Of them.
RB211 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
<snip>

let’s hope BA do the right thing. If they don’t or some gain more than others that’s life and we can have a strop and change alliances or we can deal with the new normal. There’s a lot of dealing with the new normal in all walks of life that we have to deal with. Flying is just one Of them.
That’s absolutely true. There will be a lot of dealing with a new normal - and it might take a while to find out what that will be, especially where business travel is concerned.
gcuk likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
This just got me rethinking this morning. I was awarded GGL for the first time in mid June 20 with a July TP collection year end on the basis of cancelled flights. I was also awarded the gufs and jokers to use before July 20.

My question is this - as I was a newly promoted “earned” GGL through to July 21 should my status have been extended to July 22? My card expiry shows Aug 21.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:10 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyerP
This just got me rethinking this morning. I was awarded GGL for the first time in mid June 20 with a July TP collection year end on the basis of cancelled flights. I was also awarded the gufs and jokers to use before July 20.

My question is this - as I was a newly promoted “earned” GGL through to July 21 should my status have been extended to July 22? My card expiry shows Aug 21.
Unfortunately, BA's position on this one is August 21, i.e. No extension. It has been asked before in this thread, and that's the answer BA gave to individuals in your position.
​​​​​​
If you'd stepped up to e.g Silver or Gold, you'd have gotten the extra year, but Gold -> GGL does not benefit in the same way. (I suspect due to the way the upgrade is handled by the systems internally)

It's yet another inconsistency, but all the evidence I've seen is that they don't care about such inconsistencies. By all means contact them, but I expect you'll get the standard answer that the extensions are only for those who couldn't reach a tier.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I would imagine at the present time most of the people still racking up any significant amount of TP at all would be US based members flying around domestic on AA. Obviously there are the exceptions who can still do international travel without having to quarantine. As someone based in Canada getting any BA TP is basically a non starter and has been for a long time
Geordie405 and esledo like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Those who have their status protected until 31 Aug 22, does not need to accumulate any Tier Points until 9 Jul 21 unless they are seeking for a status upgrade.

These folks must start earning TP's after 9 Jul 2021 to protect their status until 31 Aug 2022, and unless something in the future is announced, it would be the regular thresholds for that period. (300/600/1500/3000-5000)
This describes my situation. I'm protected as Silver through 31 Aug of 2022. My concern is for my earnings on bookings after July 8 of 2021 (counting to elevating to Gold and my ongoing status for after Aug of 2022).
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:49 pm

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by geo1005
This describes my situation. I'm protected as Silver through 31 Aug of 2022. My concern is for my earnings on bookings after July 8 of 2021 (counting to elevating to Gold and my ongoing status for after Aug of 2022).
Please promise me that, when BA finally get around to extending those of us who expire in August 2021 that you will not bemoan that you are not getting any benefit.
geo1005 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
Please promise me that, when BA finally get around to extending those of us who expire in August 2021 that you will not bemoan that you are not getting any benefit.
Over the years I have both benefited tremendously and missed out horribly on the capricious nature of airline and hotel point promotions and bonuses. I'm very much in the "bemoaning not allowed" camp for sure.

Are there Executive Club members who are set to "drop" a status level in August of this year?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005

Are there Executive Club members who are set to "drop" a status level in August of this year?
Assuming no extension, the first members to.be demoted will be the July 2021 TP year ends, arguably dropping two levels if a GGL becoming Silver.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well there you go, a second extension, but not for all:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...-status-again/
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
BA extends Executive Club status again - for some

Just released by BA:
BRITISH AIRWAYS PROTECTS TIER STATUS FOR ITS LOYAL EXECUTIVE CLUB MEMBERS
  • Members whose Tier Point collection end date falls between 1 July and 31 December 2021, will have their Tier status protected for an additional 12 months, irrespective of how many Tier Points they earn.
  • It means that no British Airways Executive Club member, including Bronze, Silver and Gold [and GGL] card holders will lose their Tier status in 2021.
  • This follows members receiving a one-year extension last June
9 March 2021 - To thank customers for their loyalty during an extremely difficult period in its history, British Airways has today announced it will be protecting the Tier status of Executive Club members for a further year. This means that any member renewing in 2021 will enjoy their status for another year, irrespective of how many Tier Points they earn.

Eligible members will receive an additional 12 months on their Tier status expiry date which will be updated in their Executive Club accounts this week.

Niall Rooney, Head of the British Airways Executive Club, said: “As we await the Government’s decision in April and plan for the safe restart of travel as soon as possible, we want to thank our Executive Club members for their loyalty during the most difficult time in the airline’s history.

“We know many of our members haven’t been able to travel, but today’s news means they can keep their benefits for longer and use them when they’re able to fly again. We hope this complements a number of measures we’ve already introduced, including our book with confidence commitment, which provides flexibility and reassurance for our customers.”

Today’s announcement means that qualifying members will have received two years of protection. It also means that no British Airways Executive Club member will lose their Tier status in 2021.

On top of this Tier extension, in February, British Airways announced a six-month extension to all Executive Club vouchers, due to expire before 31 December 2021. This was the third extension that was applied, following similar extensions in March 2020 and October 2020 and included Gold Upgrade Vouchers and American Express Companion Vouchers. British Airways is also adding an additional six-months validity to all new Companion Voucher or Travel Together tickets earned between June 2020 and the end of December 2021.

And finally, British Airways continues to reduce the amount of Tier Points needed to reach each Tier by 25 per cent for those whose Tier Point collection year ends before July 2022.

Head for Points story here - https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...-status-again/
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:09 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
Excellent News Mrs Royalscot will be very happy to hear this. Well done BA for taking an early initiative.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Great News..
Except for me as a March baby..
But great news none the less
ReadystEDIgo likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
As a July year end GGL on 0TP, unable to fly to my main destinations USA, South Africa and Australia, I'm really grateful to BA for this, and for the record, it won't affect my booking pattern with BA adversely. When we can fly, I'm not going to run away and try other airlines. BA have shown me loyalty and I'll repay them with mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.