Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:19 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
In terms of an extension? You are right if you had already re-qualified in your current membership year effectively the extension given to your card expiry to 30 November 2021 is what you would have got anyway. I don't believe come 9 October your card expiry will be extended for a further year to 30 November 2022.

Reduced thresholds still apply of course.
So the email they sent to me saying “To say thank you for all your loyalty and support, we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership. ” is basically false. Because I’m not getting an extra 12 months in reality.

The lower thresholds are nice, but everyone gets that. Not everyone gets the additional 12 months. Not a brilliantly thought out or communicated exercise by BAEC.

Oh well - it is what it is. I appreciate your response, thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Red face

i don’t think you need the cancelled trips to be honoured in terms of TPs since you meet the reduced thresholds anyway. You should be upgraded to silver unless you are not meeting the eligible flights requirement.
The strange thing is that her account shows only 3 out of 4 flights completed for the year but she has taken 10+ BA metal / booked flights Any ideas?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dominic14
The strange thing is that her account shows only 3 out of 4 flights completed for the year but she has taken 10+ BA metal / booked flights Any ideas?
is this on the app? the app is notoriously dodgy showing eligible flights.

if it is correct on the website then i wouldn't be concerned.
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Priority Spire, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
is this on the app? the app is notoriously dodgy showing eligible flights.

if it is correct on the website then i wouldn't be concerned.
Yes this is on the App. On the website it doesn't have any details under "progress to next Tier" (The usual wheel for Tier Points and Required flights) except for "With Silver membership, you can enjoy priority boarding on all British Airways flights".
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: Varies
The reduced thresholds apply to your current 9 April 2020 to 8 April 2021 collection year, and your 9 April 2021 to 8 April 2022 collection year.

If you want to go for silver between now and 8 April 2021 then once you get to the reduced threshold and eligible flights you will go up to silver straight away, you would become silver for the rest of your current year and the next full membership year, i.e. the rest of now to 8 April 2021, and 9 April 2021 to 8 April 2022.

If you don't wish to travel atm, you can aim to get the reduced threshold in your 9 April 2021 to 8 April 2022 collection year. You would become silver once you hit the threshold to the end of that collection year, and the next full membership year, i.e. from when you hit the TP to 8 April 2022, and 9 April 2022 to 8 April 2023.

Thank you. I'll sit back and relax. I really appreciate the help you and others are giving us.
crazyarmadillo and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:16 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
So the email they sent to me saying “To say thank you for all your loyalty and support, we’ve added 12 months extra onto your Gold Executive Club membership. ” is basically false. Because I’m not getting an extra 12 months in reality.

The lower thresholds are nice, but everyone gets that. Not everyone gets the additional 12 months. Not a brilliantly thought out or communicated exercise by BAEC.

Oh well - it is what it is. I appreciate your response, thanks.
My wife is in the same situation. She had already requalified for Silver based on the normal TP thresholds. So she had already earned status through to the end of 2021. After the extension she now has ... status through to the end of 2021! So I agree the communications are poorly managed by BA. It just seems wrong for BA to treat people who qualify for a new tier more favourably compared with people who requalify for their existing tier. I guess partly this is down to their IT limitations, but I doubt it would have been beyond their capabilities to have addressed such anomalies, especially for those who had requalified at the normal thresholds. So it's more "to say thank you for your loyalty and support, we're giving you nothing extra whatsoever"!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
i don’t think you need the cancelled trips to be honoured in terms of TPs since you meet the reduced thresholds anyway. You should be upgraded to silver unless you are not meeting the eligible flights requirement.
Thanks @KARFA - Yes, I am Silver and have already re-qualified for it again, but am hoping to qualify for Gold, as I have a couple of months to get the 195 TP to attain it. Any further thoughts appreciated!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by gms
My wife is in the same situation. She had already requalified for Silver based on the normal TP thresholds. So she had already earned status through to the end of 2021. After the extension she now has ... status through to the end of 2021! So I agree the communications are poorly managed by BA. It just seems wrong for BA to treat people who qualify for a new tier more favourably compared with people who requalify for their existing tier. I guess partly this is down to their IT limitations, but I doubt it would have been beyond their capabilities to have addressed such anomalies, especially for those who had requalified at the normal thresholds. So it's more "to say thank you for your loyalty and support, we're giving you nothing extra whatsoever"!

gms - I am in exactly the same situation as your wife. On 8th June the app and my account viewed on a laptop both showed "Gold achieved" at 1065 points wish I had taken screenshots - Gold disappeared later. BAEC shows 8th July TP renewal date and card valid until Aug 2021 and no chance of getting any more TP's before 8th July or even in the following 2 weeks. Disappointed.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by gms
Yes, this "extension" has resulted in:
  • 24 different month-ends as the outcome as far as I can see, from August 2021 to July 2023
  • Periods of no need to earn TPs without losing status of between 0 months and either 23 or 24 months
  • Reduced collection periods of 12 months to up to 23 months (I think)
It appears that those who have the shortest "extension" also end up on the wrong end of the other measures too, plus there seems to be an anecdotal reverse correlation that those who have earned fewer TPs have tended to fare at least as well as those who would have requalified anyway.

Must have been some interesting modelling going on at BA towers to come out with this outcome.

Also, another note to thank KARFA for their unstinting support for providing insight and support for the many different scenarios which are being posted here. KARFA , I wonder whether my summary above matches with your assessment as we know it now?
Brighterside and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The_Editor
Thanks @KARFA - Yes, I am Silver and have already re-qualified for it again, but am hoping to qualify for Gold, as I have a couple of months to get the 195 TP to attain it. Any further thoughts appreciated!
Thanks. So are you 195 TPs off the reduced threshold of 1125?

I think BA were allowing consideration of cancelled bookings for those who had year ends in April/May/June when we only had the interim policy. Now we have the policy for all members I don't know if the intention is to purely rely on the reduced thresholds. I would hope BA would still look at your situation and make an allowance if your trip was cancelled in September but I can't really give a clear answer either way. Sorry.
The_Editor likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks. So are you 195 TPs off the reduced threshold of 1125?

I think BA were allowing consideration of cancelled bookings for those who had year ends in April/May/June when we only had the interim policy. Now we have the policy for all members I don't know if the intention is to purely rely on the reduced thresholds. I would hope BA would still look at your situation and make an allowance if your trip was cancelled in September but I can't really give a clear answer either way. Sorry.
Yes, exactly - I'm on 930 TP, so 1125 is so well within reach that it would be disappointing if I didn't quite make it due to the Sept trip being cancelled! So I guess it's probably worth trying to get them before the September trip... Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
You'd have thought there would be some logic around % of thresholds achieved so the wording could be massaged Is this a separate email for May and June year-ends?
It is indeed! You'd have thought that they would have edited the e-mail to take into account the fact that very few May/June year-end members would have been able to fly the past few weeks...

Regardless, I'm glad they've extended the membership for obvious reasons.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Have you tried contacting through Twitter ? I just had a response to a tweet asking me to send a private message
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:16 am

sorry I forgot to include quote
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Dominic14
Does anyone know how to get hold of BA Executive club contacts regarding a status upgrade?

My wife is on 580 Tier points with her earning year ending 8 July. We had a return leg from DXB booked in April which was changed several times and then cancelled and ended up stuck in Dubai for 6 weeks. Unfortunately BA have not yet resumed flights and so we were forced to return on an emirates repatriation flight in May.

Had we been able to take that flight she would have reached 600 Tier points. For obvious health, safety and government linguine reasons we did not book a Tier point run flight within Europe.

When receiving our refund we were advised that BA would honor the 35 Tier points on the return booking but as yet this has not happened. We have also submitted several queries but with no reply and we are unable to get through on the phones.

I completely understand the current unprecedented scenario and the need to see to other more urgent customer queries. However having always been very loyal to BA over the years we would be upset if there wasn't any way of honoring the Tier points for our return leg or at least extending the earning period.

I welcome any advice on this matter and whether there is anything we can do in the next 7 days.

Thanks

Have you tried Twitter ? I received a response quite quickly asking me to send a private message. Good luck !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.