Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
I am a little baffled by all this. My Gold card has been extended to 31 October 2021. The app says I've retained Gold (1235 TPs accumulated just before lockdown in the UK). TPs still showing on the app.

So how have some people in similar positions with June and July year ends managed to gain extensions to 2022? I must be missing something but can't fathom what that is unless those achieving a tier upgrade are getting double the extension and those who have been at a tier for this current year and before receive a simple 12 month extension.

I'm sure bigger brains than mine will be along in a moment to deliver a calming message of explanation...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGLFL/ VS GOLD/ WY GOLD/ SQ PPS/KL GOLD
I am in the same situation, mine is still sitting at NOV21!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mapman
I am a little baffled by all this. My Gold card has been extended to 31 October 2021. The app says I've retained Gold (1235 TPs accumulated just before lockdown in the UK). TPs still showing on the app.

So how have some people in similar positions with June and July year ends managed to gain extensions to 2022? I must be missing something but can't fathom what that is unless those achieving a tier upgrade are getting double the extension and those who have been at a tier for this current year and before receive a simple 12 month extension.

I'm sure bigger brains than mine will be along in a moment to deliver a calming message of explanation...
Yes, those with dates into 2022 are likely to be those who upgraded in the current year. they already hard card expiry dates in 2021 so adding 12 months gets them in to 2022.

Hopefully this may help explain a bit more https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32476015-post1142.html
Mapman likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I've tried to find the answer in earlier posts but am still confused so be patient with me please
Currently silver. Card expires 31/7
Don't have sufficient points this year to maintain status so was delighted to read that BA was giving us a year's extension.
I didn't receive an email so I rang customer service and she assured me that I would get a year's extension to my silver status and she would get the membership team to send confirmation.
Disappointingly, I received an email stating that I will be downgraded to bronze at the end of the month but they will give me a year's extension of that status (rather than the current silver).
Why did BA raise my expectations only to then trash them ??? Surely this is no way to retain customer loyalty ??
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thank you. No, it didn't address the question of how long the 25% reduction lasts, and what BA mean by "next time you're up for renewal", or at least not in a way I understood. BA have not made it clear what they mean by "next time you're up for renewal" under the "something to make you smile" rules. Is it April 2021 (my membership year end) or April 2022 (when the status extension ends)? They don't say.

the reduction applies to your current and next membership year. when you want to get the TPs really depends on when you want to be silver from, do you want it now or are you happy to wait until after April 2021 to get it?
I don't know yet. It depends very much on the 25% reduction. I'd be pissed off if I wait until after my current membership end date, which is April 2021, and find the 25% reduction disappears at that point and I haven't taken advantage of it. If I get 25% off until the end of my second membership year, April 2022, I may wait.

I had planned to go for Silver between April 8th and May 31st this year, as I'd never intended to be Bronze, but that's history. I've cancelled all my upcoming trips and things are much more complex now. Some of the factors that would influence my decision on when to go for Silver now would be my own health, that of my partner, how safe we feel it is to travel, what class of travel we decide to use (or can get on our companion vouchers, as availability may differ due to heavily revised timetables), whether we need to visit family for any reason (funerals are a consideration) and when we decide to use our companion vouchers. If "next time you're up for renewal" means April 8th 2022 (when the 12 month extension ends) then that gives me more latitude and I can sit back and see what happens over the next few months.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 12:30 pm

Current gold with July tier reset that re-qualified pre-covid. Card year end August 21 however, after a few emails back and forth I’ve got supervisor confirmation my card will continue to August 2022 at gold.

I’ve been told notes have been made to this effect. No idea whether this is exception or will be norm however, wanted to provide a datapoint for in year re-qualifiers at current tier.
GinFizz likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:05 pm
lky

Programs: BA GGL, Aegean Gold, Hilton Diamond, AmanJunkie
I got confirmation of the same today fwiw when I spoke to GGL. I requalified as GGL in January 20 with 7 July 20 as tier point end date (and August 20 card reset). They told me my year will be extended from August 21 as is currently to August 22 in next few weeks ...
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by scotx3
Current gold with July tier reset that re-qualified pre-covid. Card year end August 21 however, after a few emails back and forth I’ve got supervisor confirmation my card will continue to August 2022 at gold.

I’ve been told notes have been made to this effect. No idea whether this is exception or will be norm however, wanted to provide a datapoint for in year re-qualifiers at current tier.
Originally Posted by lky
I got confirmation of the same today fwiw when I spoke to GGL. I requalified as GGL in January 20 with 7 July 20 as tier point end date (and August 20 card reset). They told me my year will be extended from August 21 as is currently to August 22 in next few weeks ...
There really is no need to call or email BAEC for these updates. As noted upthread those with July year end dates will see their status updated at the end of July 2020.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Alas, June's were always included, not July's though. But that's good news for you. It's a long old thread so you may have missed it.
Actually, in posts on June 13th or 14th, I asked specifically and was told specifically on here (see post 796 which was referred to in my questions later that day or the next) that those who had just gained their TPs for a May/June year end would NOT benefit from an extension. So since then I assumed that was correct, so I'm thrilled to see it was wrong, and I did get the extension!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
Is your TP collection 8th June or July 8th if you don't mind me asking.

Edited. I suspect you are June end date and your TP have already reset to zero, and your 1165 have been reset

So you got the benefit of the 30% TP reduction as a June 2020 .
My year ends on July 8th, a week Tomorrow but I show as having requalified already. So either they have taken into account the 400 tier points I had booked but were cancelled in the last 6 weeks or the reduction in requirements has been applied to this year. Either way it’s a great outcome IMHO

crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
My Tier Points renewal date is 8 July, and I am considering a trip beginning mid-July that would earn me 580 TP, and this would earn me Silver using the temporary threshold, which would carry me through to 2022. Is this correct? I earned only 120 TP in 2019-2020; I lost some flying due to the shutdown, and I have no status with BA at the moment.

Last edited by JTXC; Jun 30, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JTXC
Does anyone have guidance on what BA is doing about achieving/ renewing status this year? My Tier Points renewel date is 8 July, and I am considering a trip beginning mid-July that would earn me 580 Tier Points. Is there any chance that this will earn my Silver? I think I read elsewhere that BA had lower (re)qualification criteria for this year. I am assuming I need the full 600, since I have not had status with BA for several years.
yes, the reduced tp thresholds would apply for your 9 July 2020 to 8 July 2021 collection year. Exact levels are noted in the wiki.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BobOnBA

There’s a lot of John Smith BAEC members
ThatT1Feeling and Nephoi like this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BobOnBA
My year ends on July 8th, a week Tomorrow but I show as having requalified already. So either they have taken into account the 400 tier points I had booked but were cancelled in the last 6 weeks or the reduction in requirements has been applied to this year. Either way it’s a great outcome IMHO

So now I’m really confused! Your situation seems
similar to mine but we get one year different end dates..??

crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Thank you for the replies. My enthusiasm was premature: Canada will not allow EU citizens in until 1 August at the earliest it seems, therefore Canadians cannot go to the UK/EU until the same date (only Greece so far is allowing Canadians in). Sigh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.