Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
The beauty of this thread is if any FT member feels sufficiently hard done by and pursue a remedy outside of basic emails. this thread can be trotted out as to the ambiguities/uncertainties etc as to what the "terms" actually mean. Legal maxim in contract law (contract of adhesion where one party makes up the rules without the input of the other contracting party ie each of us as a member of the EC) the ambiguity will generally be resolved in favour of the EC member.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
The general understanding is that if you have an 8 July end date, then you get Gold to Aug 2021, but have to earn the lower threshold between 9 Jul 2020 and 8 Jul 2021 in order to extend to Aug 2022.

They don't provide an extra year (or even an extra month) and, yes, the email is therefore misleading.
So no benefit then - So 'nothing to make me smile' - cheers BA!
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA GGLFL/ VS GOLD/ WY GOLD/ SQ PPS/KL GOLD
Has anyone's account actually been extended for a year yet? or are they only doing it when the tier point year is up?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
" We’re adding 12 months extra onto your Executive Club membership – so you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever you’re ready to fly.

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021."

Self explanatory surely - keywords "12 months extra"

I shall be expecting just that (silver already requalified ,Aug 2020 expiry) .So that means an expiry August 2022

. Its very clear cut and I expect what was promised
jay_cee87 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by docklander
" We’re adding 12 months extra onto your Executive Club membership – so you have more time to enjoy your benefits, whenever you’re ready to fly.

All members will benefit, starting with those who have a Tier Point collection end date of July 2020, through to June 2021."

I shall be expecting just that (silver already requalified ,Aug 2020 expiry) .So that means an expiry August 2022

The extension is based on your current status, and if you have re-qualified for the next year before the extension, your status expiry date is not extended another year.
So, you would lose your Silver status in August 2021 unless you re-qualify again.

If you would like to extend your status until August 2022, you would need to earn 450 Tier Points between 9 July 2020 and 8 July 2021.
Although, you still have the chance to qualify for Gold until 8 July 2021, if you could achieve 1125 TP's by then.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club

that’s how I read it too. The email says “12 extra months” so I hope it is that simple!
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

As much as I agree with that should be the case, it isn’t. I have asked. I’m in the same situation with my Gold.

It seems you get 12 months extra onto the expiry date. But of course if you have already re-qualified the expiry hasn’t changed, even though it will at your end of year.

So in your case your expiry is August 2020. So the 12 months you get is to August 2021 on the expiry. The fact you have already requalified (same situation as me) means you in essence don’t benefit from this 12 months. The only benefit you will get is in the Aug 2020 to 2021 year you will need a reduced number of TPs to retain the status.

Summary seems to be: You get 12 months extra on your status except if you have already requalified then it won’t apply to you as you have it anyway. So for those who have already requalified the only benefit is the reduced TP requirements for the next year.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
June 8th collection year end, no email received.

Zero TPs collected in the past TP year, but Gold card expiry currently showing as 31 July 2021.

Go figure.
jonr405 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
This is the important bit that seems to be very confusing, quoted from CWS from upthread as he put it far more succinctly than me:

This status will last you 12 further months than your current tier year and expiry date. If you already earned enough tier points for that to happen anyway, or had a recent status upgrade, then you don’t benefit from the extension.
KARFA, jonr405 and Burberries1 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by jay_cee87
that’s how I read it too. The email says “12 extra months” so I hope it is that simple!
To me the crucial, misleading, words are not the "12 extra months" but the "All members will benefit". Obviously not all members will benefit if what has been ascertained above proves to be correct. Before someone mentions the TP threshold reduction, that is seperate as it is covered afterwards under "What’s more....."
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, M&M LT SEN, AZ Plat, WoH LT Glob, HH Diam
Originally Posted by eh220160
Great to hear! Was there a particular line of reasoning you used, other than "you cancelled my flights which would have landed me X TPs, so please kindly credit to my account"? I've put in the same request (as July year end) but just trying to get prepared to counter any initial resistance from BA. I'm also not Gold/GGL so will be dealing with the main customer service reps. Thanks!
No resistance encountered. In my request I gave them booking references, they came back requesting tickets numbers and that was it!
eh220160 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
The extension is based on your current status, and if you have re-qualified for the next year before the extension, your status expiry date is not extended another year.
So, you would lose your Silver status in August 2021 unless you re-qualify again.

If you would like to extend your status until August 2022, you would need to earn 450 Tier Points between 9 July 2020 and 8 July 2021.
Although, you still have the chance to qualify for Gold until 8 July 2021, if you could achieve 1125 TP's by then.
Indeed but i was told specifically i would get 12 months extra with a bit of a song and a dance , and.thats what i expect .I think thats perfectly reasonable .
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Indeed but i was told specifically i would get 12 months extra with a bit of a song and a dance , and.thats what i expect .I think thats perfectly reasonable .
and some others have unequivocally been told they won’t get 12 months extra if they have already upgraded/re-qualified this year.

i look forward to seeing the inevitable (and entirely avoidable) complaints when this all unfolds.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
and some others have unequivocally been told they won’t get 12 months extra if they have already upgraded/re-qualified this year.

i look forward to seeing the inevitable (and entirely avoidable) complaints when this all unfolds.
Totally. I know that the BAEC is a complex beast, with its monthly year-ends. It's also clear that the loyalty team is missing key people who aren't able to contribute to the policy as they are furloughed. I also know that they have had to model lots of different scenarios (including what it might mean for lounges once everything is up and running again if there are lots of cardholders promoted by the reduced thresholds etc.)

But to send out an email with such a positive title and core message (you get an extra year), when in fact it was only true for a percentage of the recipients, is quite an own-goal in terms of expectation management. At work, I always try to underpromise and overdeliver. It seems that BA has sadly gone the other way on this and it will unfold over the coming months as those not on FT start to realise that they're not getting what they thought they were getting. It's also concerning that for those of us on FT who have asked for clarifications, I think we have had alternative versions of almost every scenario already "confirmed" by BA, so I'm sure there will be challenges backed up with actual evidence (emails, twitter messages etc.)
saint_em and KARFA like this.

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Jun 19, 2020 at 4:58 am
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Glenlivet
No resistance encountered. In my request I gave them booking references, they came back requesting tickets numbers and that was it!

​​​​​​​Just to say on this; I have posted previously saying that BA was not considering the flights I had booked that were cancelled.

I had to challenge them 3 times before they actually started looking into it properly. They kept focusing on where I finished the year, and weren't reading what I was writing about having flights cancelled.

So in my experience, challenge them back if they so no in the first or second instance; even though I had given them all the details in my original note to them, I had to re-spell it out a number of times before they would consider it. Chances are the agent hasn't quite read properly your request if they say no originally. After a few days of back and forth my case has now been submitted to their Loyalty team to see if they'll let me retain my status. (June year end so no idea what that means in the wider context of the extensions)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.