Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by Mike P
This one is answered (in the affirmative) on Raffles' blog:

I am not a member of British Airways Executive Club at the moment. Can I join and benefit from the reduced tier point threshold in my first year?

Yes. You would only need 225 tier points for Bronze, 450 tier points for Silver and 1125 tier points for Gold.

The new reduced tier point thresholds will apply to all membership years which end up to 8th July 2022.
thx for the info. i asked on twitter and the csr said its only for existing members. honestly i don't know which information would be accurate but as always I'm hesitant to take the twitter agent's answer at face value
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by DreamHigh
thx for the info. i asked on twitter and the csr said its only for existing members. honestly i don't know which information would be accurate but as always I'm hesitant to take the twitter agent's answer at face value
I personally don’t think BA’s IT is remotely capable of having a different set of qualifying criteria for existing vs new members!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I admit Ive scanned this long thread when an in depth look may have found my answer, so sorry if Ive repeated something.

I had a June 8 collection year end. Despite only earning 950 points, CS retained my gold status after I provided evidence of cancelled fights.

So in normal times my status would expire in July 21 but does this year extension now mean it will expire in July 22?

Or will I need to earn 1125 TP between now and June 21 to continue as a gold until July 22?

It may seem trivial at this stage but the answer will greatly affect whether bookings in the coming year are revenue or avios/vouchers.

If its the former, that would suggest I dont need to earn a single point for a year and then only 11125 the year after to keep gold live until July 23. Fab if that is the case but seems overly generous
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Another Twitter datapoint which leaves me even more confused and I realize I am likely confusing matters more and repeating what has been said already.

My status

TP collection year end = November 8
Expiry date shown on card = December 31 2021
430 Current TP

Additional fact - I booked a flight using AVIOS in May for July 7 versus a revenue that would have generated additional TP this current TP collection year which leaves me at 430 versus the additional 140 to 360 it would have generated had I paid for the ticket

Response from Twitter

Good Morning, xxxxx. Your Tier Point renewal date is 08 November 2020 so under the new flexible guidelines this has automatically been extended for a further 12 months. You'll retain Silver for the whole of this period, and the thresholds for moving up a Tier has been reduced by 25%. You'd need 1125 Tier Points before 08 November 2020 to move up to Gold. Emma

My initial reaction....what happened to the extension to my "existing card status"
The 12-month status extension will be applied automatically in the next two weeks* to those memberships with Tier Point collection end dates of July 2020 – June 2021.

This is represented by your card expiry date which can be viewed on the My Executive Club page on ba.com or the mobile app.

Not a clue how this is supposed to sort out and perhaps neither does BA...wishful thinking the language used on the website ...appearing in places..."there is no need to contact us"...it will be done automatically

BA's system will generate changes but do they make sense...the soon to be diminished executive club will soon become dedicated to and be know as the BA Extension Club...no need to change the "EC" shorthand form.

Something to make you smile...And so today, we wanted to tell you something that we hope will make you smile (source original email).

By the way ..... I am no longer smiling having invested far too much mental energy into this and I suppose their copywriters and lawyers who vetted the release inserted the word hope as a conditional term that modified the original unconditional statement that that in fact I would be smiling.

Had a feeling this would turn into the dog and pony show given the way it has been communicated.

Last edited by testycal; Jun 14, 2020 at 2:51 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by kingcole974
I admit Ive scanned this long thread when an in depth look may have found my answer, so sorry if Ive repeated something.

I had a June 8 collection year end. Despite only earning 950 points, CS retained my gold status after I provided evidence of cancelled fights.

So in normal times my status would expire in July 21 but does this year extension now mean it will expire in July 22?

Or will I need to earn 1125 TP between now and June 21 to continue as a gold until July 22?

It may seem trivial at this stage but the answer will greatly affect whether bookings in the coming year are revenue or avios/vouchers.

If its the former, that would suggest I dont need to earn a single point for a year and then only 11125 the year after to keep gold live until July 23. Fab if that is the case but seems overly generous
If gold and collection date June 8 2020, then yes 2022.
There's a summary post linked in the wiki

Edit. As just seen CWS post. There's the link

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Jun 14, 2020 at 2:24 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kingcole974

You stay Gold until July 2021, you don't need to worry about collecting TPs the year you just started since you will be renewed to Gold until July 2022 regardless. You need to earn reduced threshold to requalify.from July 2021 onwards for August 2022 onwards. Any TPS you earn this year only count for status upgrades, GUFs and the lifetime balance.

Can you have a look at post 796 (linked in WIki) to see if this gives you the same answer? Just want to make sure it can be seen as reliable for these sorts of queries.
simonsmith likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
I was at 5050 TPs on 08 Mar 2020, and had the email a couple of days ago, but still showing:

3000 + 4 eligible flights to retain GGL
08 Mar 2021 year end
30 Apr 2021 card expiry

so I'm guessing the computer hasn't got to me yet

Last edited by OverTheHorizon; Jun 14, 2020 at 2:26 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by testycal
Another Twitter datapoint which leaves me even more confused
That answer is in line with post 796. Maybe you could clarify what you want to do? Achieve Gold? And when?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think Mrs BM is losing out. She is showing silver on the app, but only until end June 2020. Her year finished 8 May 2020 and she didn't have anywhere near enough TP to qualify for silver. So we think she drops to bronze at the end of June 2020 and retains that until June 2022. Whereas if her year ended 8 July 2020, she would keep silver until June 2021.
Is that correct?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
so I'm guessing the computer hasn't got to me yet
As mentioned in BA's FAQ, you need to wait 2 weeks.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As mentioned in BA's FAQ, you need to wait 2 weeks.
Ah indeed, thank you c-w-s

No hurry tbh as neither of us have a single flight booked with anyone at the moment!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
I think Mrs BM is losing out. She is showing silver on the app, but only until end June 2020. Her year finished 8 May 2020 and she didn't have anywhere near enough TP to qualify for silver. So we think she drops to bronze at the end of June 2020 and retains that until June 2022. Whereas if her year ended 8 July 2020, she would keep silver until June 2021.
Is that correct?
Unless she has some cancelled flights or some other similar reason she can take to Customer Relations, then yes she will drop to Bronze as per post 796, but she then won't have much to do to stay Bronze, and it's easier to get to Silver in the year ahead. Or even to consider going for Gold in the year ahead given the soft landing timescale and the lower thresholds. Yes, had she been 8 July a different outcome would result short term, but if you consider the 3 or 4 year timeline, it may not make much difference.
bluemoon68 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 3:54 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by Mike P
The main losers appear to be those with year ends from July onwards who have already re-qualified at their current tier.
Such fortunate peeps are not "losers" - they have not LOST anything. Nobody has lost anything...

Meanwhile:
  1. Those that had not yet been able to renew their status GAIN a renewal.
  2. Everyone gains from the lower thresholds.
ENTP likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can you have a look at post 796 (linked in WIki) ... Just want to make sure it can be seen as reliable for these sorts of queries.
Thanks ManchesterBAFlyer for writing this up in a way that's sensible to read and clear enough to understand. And to c-w-s for reviewing and enhancing the writeup, and wiki-ing it.

BA should hire you both as their official copywriters for their future official announcements!
Old Jun 14, 2020, 4:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
Such fortunate peeps are not "losers" - they have not LOST anything. Nobody has lost anything...

Meanwhile:
  1. Those that had not yet been able to renew their status GAIN a renewal.
  2. Everyone gains from the lower thresholds.
The point I made was that, inevitably, there are people who have done well from this and people who have done less well. Call them winners and losers if you like.

I'm not going to post all the arguments again but there is a line and, depending on which side of it one falls, one could get a year long extension meaning there is no need to earn any Tier Points for almost 12 months. On the other side of the line, there is the need to start earning Tier Points in less than a month from now if one wishes to maintain status, something which is still going to be very tricky. The difference here is one month in Tier Point collection year ends so I'd argue some people are substantially better off under this than others.

Yes, a lot of people will benefit from lowered Tier Point thresholds moving forward (but not all). This seems fair and reasonable given that a lot of countries' borders are still closed and flying remains extremely difficult at present.
GinFizz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.