Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I also seem to be in the current late receivers batch of emails. Wonder if others have not received it yet (or why the batching in the first place but that’s purely academic curiosity)
No email but card expiry just got extended to Sep 2023. Also wondering if achieving GGL before August will then magic me an extra year...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:09 am

Also not had any email from them.
Again comfortably requalified under the 25% targets, helped in no small measure by my employers overpriced travel agents economy fares vs a very good deal direct with RJ for a J class ticket (RJ business actually a few pounds cheaper than agents economy quote for same flight).
I don't regret any travel I did, all was for work or necessary family visits, and I had an extra month of knowing my status was safe prior to this announcement.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
I thought the extensions were only for anniversary dates up till the end of September?
For Golds. For GGLs, it's year-ends up to December.
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Was your travel otherwise pointless?
No but there were instances where I could have used avios instead of a cash ticket / travelled in a more time or cost efficient manner.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I also seem to be in the current late receivers batch of emails. Wonder if others have not received it yet (or why the batching in the first place but that’s purely academic curiosity)
I suspect this topic: Happy 40th to me (not birthday...) might have something to do with it 😁
orbitmic and Geordie405 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by firstlight
Also wondering if achieving GGL before August will then magic me an extra year...
It would NOT magic you an extra year, you would benefit from the reduced TP threshold

its basically this from the FAQ

The Tier Status extensions apply to Members that have not earned enough Tier Points by their Tier Point Collection Year end date to retain their status for the following year only. If you have already earned enough Tier Points to renew your Tier status, your Tier will not be automatically extended for an additional 12 months.

Tiers and benefits | Executive Club | British Airways
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if all you are doing is TP runs then this was always a risk, the alternate was not travelling and no extension being offered. You rolled the dice

if you had some holidays, business travel etc and this was flying you would have done anyway its not really a problem either way

i can see a case for BA extending and saying that a % of the points accumulated would rollover but they have chosen not to do that

But it was in BAs interest to have you fly, if they had forewarned us we were being extened well in advance and many of us had chosen not to fly then that would not have helped their coffers and I suspect at the moment every penny really counts
All of my travel was necessary, but choosing to do all of it on paid tickets (rather than avios) or flying on BA rather than a competitor was down to Tier Points.

There are GGLs who haven't touched an airplane since Feb 2020 who will still be GGL until Dec 2023 - meanwhile, the wait times on the GGL phone number are increasing. By not having a clearout of legacy status holders, BA are having those of us who do travel extensively after covid subsidise perks for those who no longer do - strikes me as rewarding the wrong cohort.
VSLover likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by alexwuk
All of my travel was necessary, but choosing to do all of it on paid tickets (rather than avios) or flying on BA rather than a competitor was down to Tier Points.

There are GGLs who haven't touched an airplane since Feb 2020 who will still be GGL until Dec 2023 - meanwhile, the wait times on the GGL phone number are increasing. By not having a clearout of legacy status holders, BA are having those of us who do travel extensively after covid subsidise perks for those who no longer do - strikes me as rewarding the wrong cohort.
That is certainly a valid opinion from people who have been able to travel extensively
There are other equally valid opinions

BA has looked at its business and decided, for now, this is the approach it wants to take as it feels it is best for their business.

No matter what approach they chose there are some who would have been upset
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
That is certainly a valid opinion from people who have been able to travel extensivley
Isn't that the group BA hopes to reward with the upper end of the BAEC status tiers?

Many people who travelled a lot pre-covid will not be travelling as much in future for many possible reasons: lifestyle choice/increased use of virtual meetings/changed role/changed working hours or location. I'm just not sure why having travelled a lot 4 years ago should qualify you to use GGL facilities today (GGLfL excepted).

I'd love to get the hours I spend in aircraft / airports back to do other things, so I'm a touch jealous that BA is letting people have their cake and eat it (not really do much flying, but have access to all the perks which many of us devote lots of hours and much revenue to BA to get access to)
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:34 am

Isn't that the group BA hopes to reward with the upper end of the BAEC status tiers?

Many people who travelled a lot pre-covid will not be travelling as much in future for many possible reasons: lifestyle choice/increased use of virtual meetings/changed working hours or location. I'm just not sure why having travelled a lot 4 years ago should qualify you to use GGL facilities today (GGLfL excepted).

if people are still not travelling it will not cost BA, will not affect the lounges or the call centres and the thinning out will happen over time

Personally I think there is a band of people who have not been able to travel so much until fairly recently but will start to see an uptick in their travel over the next 12 months

I do think there will be a thinning of people who have status over 2023
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
August TP year end for me, last year just made 450TP's via work to retain status for the 11th year (never had a sniff of gold).
This year I am at 340TP's and have a couple of low TP ET returns again via work and was looking to upgrade one or two and reach 450TP's.
Yesterday just before the email arrived I was about to pull the trigger to upgrade LHR-DUS ET to CE, no need now.
Ta BA..
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You're not subsidising any perks for "GGLs who haven't touched an airplane since Feb 2020 who will still be GGL until Dec 2023". They're not flying, so they're not using any perks. If they're not flying, they won't even be using much call centre resource.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You're not subsidising any perks for "GGLs who haven't touched an airplane since Feb 2020 who will still be GGL until Dec 2023". They're not flying, so they're not using any perks. If they're not flying, they won't even be using much call centre resource.
such a blanket statement is not necessarily true as there could conversely be plenty of people who had booked trips that were delayed cancelled or whatever that still require human support...and then decide to just bail on a trip all together.

either way the call center support needs to be addressed.

while i have not received an email despite being a GGL with a sept end date, i find the wording sloppy regarding the reduced threshold thru to dec 31 as i have 2700tp booked for sept 8- dec 31 with the expectation it would apply, and it would be great to drop one or two of those trips if i dont feel like it when the time comes.

but i guess i look at my current year sitting on 5300tp with 4.5mos to go as getting me closer to lifetime gold.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL
GGL, December year-end, no email and no renewal showing online as yet, so they are (hopefully) still rolling out the emails. Will wait a couple of days before worrying!
bermudasun likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Irish lad
GGL, no email and no renewal showing online as yet, so they are (hopefully) still rolling out the emails. Will wait a couple of days before worrying!
no email either though my account has been updated but who knows if thats due to already re-qualifying.

besides i have bigger fish to fry getting my 40tp for an iberia flight credited 😂😂😂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.