Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced

Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by megaloman
if you FTV your booking, you'll get an e-voucher to be used by 30 September 2023. Mind you cannot FTV bookings for trips beyond September 2022.
I'm really hoping that you mean September 2023? I currently have ~9,000 worth of FTV. So does this mean I have to book the travel by Sep '22, and then actually travel by Sep '23?

I also came across this, which I hadn't previously seen. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...oucher-refunds
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I'm really hoping that you mean September 2023?
2023 is correct. The booking must be for travel completed by that date.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
I'm really hoping that you mean September 2023? I currently have ~9,000 worth of FTV.
I think there was a little bit of confusion here.

As Globaliser says, FTVs can be used to book travel to be completed by Sep 2023.

But the original post which may have sparked alarm was referring to the fact that (currently) you can only convert a booking to an FTV if that booking was for travel by Sep 2022. But once a booking has been converted to a voucher, that voucher is good till 2023.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I think there was a little bit of confusion here.

As Globaliser says, FTVs can be used to book travel to be completed by Sep 2023.

But the original post which may have sparked alarm was referring to the fact that (currently) you can only convert a booking to an FTV if that booking was for travel by Sep 2022. But once a booking has been converted to a voucher, that voucher is good till 2023.
Phew! Thank you.

All I need now is to either get the extension email, or see the extension in my account, and my day will be complete
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
BA silver with 8th August end date....

But with the reduced threasholds until 31st Dec and double TP's on holidays... I'm furiously planning and booking for Sept and Oct to hopefully reach Gold for the first time, then drop to Silver, so cover me for lounge access for the next 3 years

So although this offer is very nice, think I'll stick to my plan

If it had come a month ago things might be different, but have already booked two 5 day breaks to start with.
Very similar situation here. Id never make 1,500 tier points in a normal year but 1,125 is tantalisingly close!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm confused by this statement on the BA web site on the page about Tiers and Benefits:

"Regardless of the amount of Tier Points earned, all Members have been able to benefit from 2 years of automatic Tier status extensions. This includes all Members who have not been able to collect enough Tier Points within their current Tier Point Collection Year to maintain their current Tier status."

I have a club year that starts on 8 Nov, and I renewed Gold in March 2020, just before the big lockdown, which meant that I had status until the end of Dec 2021. I've only had a tier status extenstion of 1 year to the end of Dec 2022. So the statement that all members have benefited from 2 years of autormatic tier status extension is clearly wrong!!

Since I do most of my flying and tier point earning in the winter months from November to March, I also miss out on the benefit of reduced tier points for qualification, because that offer ends on 31 December 2022 - by which time my regular flying pattern won't have reached the reduced threshold of 1125 tier points - so I'll have to qualify by gaining 1500 tier points as normal in March 2023.

I don't think that BA has thought about this properly. The "great lockdown" was in March 2020, and the "great opening up" has been in March/April 2022 - when many countries relaxed restrictions, and people really started feeling safe to fly again - but BA has arbitrarily chosen the end of December 2022 for their "everything's back to normal" date - which is 2 years and 9 months after global travel ground to a halt. A more logical date would be the end of March 2023 - which is 3 years after that date. By choosing the end of December 2022, BA excludes customers who do most of their travel over the winter months from truly benfitting from the reduced tier point thresholds. I didn't travel much in Jan to March 2022, because it was still difficult due to restrictions, so the reduced thresholds didn't help me for renewal in this club year.

Sorry - this is just a rant about how these arbitrary policies aren't benefitting some Exec Club members as much as BA likes to make people think!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
If you read back through the thread there are numerous hard done by stories. If you read the article from head for points they make a pretty good point that the line has to be drawn somewhere. You can't simply please every case It stands that some people may be hard done by and some not. BA always made it clear they were protecting status for those not achieving it so if you hit in 2021 off your own flying then that is just the way the cookie crumbles. You still have status now and a reduced threshold. BA can't base their plans on people who fly in a couple of months in the year and those who don't.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:27 pm
A13

Programs: BA Silver
October year end-er feeling hard done by..
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wheremattgoes
I'm confused by this statement on the BA web site on the page about Tiers and Benefits:

"Regardless of the amount of Tier Points earned, all Members have been able to benefit from 2 years of automatic Tier status extensions. This includes all Members who have not been able to collect enough Tier Points within their current Tier Point Collection Year to maintain their current Tier status."

I have a club year that starts on 8 Nov, and I renewed Gold in March 2020, just before the big lockdown, which meant that I had status until the end of Dec 2021. I've only had a tier status extenstion of 1 year to the end of Dec 2022. So the statement that all members have benefited from 2 years of autormatic tier status extension is clearly wrong!!

Since I do most of my flying and tier point earning in the winter months from November to March, I also miss out on the benefit of reduced tier points for qualification, because that offer ends on 31 December 2022 - by which time my regular flying pattern won't have reached the reduced threshold of 1125 tier points - so I'll have to qualify by gaining 1500 tier points as normal in March 2023.

I don't think that BA has thought about this properly. The "great lockdown" was in March 2020, and the "great opening up" has been in March/April 2022 - when many countries relaxed restrictions, and people really started feeling safe to fly again - but BA has arbitrarily chosen the end of December 2022 for their "everything's back to normal" date - which is 2 years and 9 months after global travel ground to a halt. A more logical date would be the end of March 2023 - which is 3 years after that date. By choosing the end of December 2022, BA excludes customers who do most of their travel over the winter months from truly benfitting from the reduced tier point thresholds. I didn't travel much in Jan to March 2022, because it was still difficult due to restrictions, so the reduced thresholds didn't help me for renewal in this club year.

Sorry - this is just a rant about how these arbitrary policies aren't benefitting some Exec Club members as much as BA likes to make people think!
As has been said many times before, BA have to draw the line somewhere.

I've been a fairly cautious traveller during Covid, and I've been holidaying again since November last year. Which destinations were you prevented from travelling to in the Jan to March period.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Happy to get the extension- with 0 TP's, I was ready for the fall in September. It had been hard to travel ex-US until the restrictions eased in November 2021 and since then the fares on BA have been 2.5/3x more than competitors(US to India/Asia)
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Still no email. 😬
orbitmic and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:17 pm
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
I'm about to book YYZ-CPT in November. My TP year ends Nov 8 so the flights will count for next year's renewal. Am I correct in thinking that in order to keep silver for next year, I will only need 450 TPs as long as they are earned by December 31, 2022? Or will I need the full 600? If the latter, I'll book a roundabout route for extra TPs.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
As has been said many times before, BA have to draw the line somewhere.

I've been a fairly cautious traveller during Covid, and I've been holidaying again since November last year. Which destinations were you prevented from travelling to in the Jan to March period.
SE Asia, Australia and New Zealand. I'm not complaining - I expect to be back at gold again by Spring next year as long as we don't go back to lots of countries closing their borders again. My post was primarily to highlight that BA is inaccurately stating that everyone has had a 2 year extension (in fact only members who failed to qualify after March 2020 got two years), and then to bemoan the decision to have lower thresholds until the end of December - I know that a line has to be drawn somewhere, and it's a commercial decision, but it seems arbitrary and illogical given that it's only now with Spring that there's been a significant relaxation in restrictions, and 9 months doesn't cover a full year's travel.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Just received this email (somewhat unexpectedly):
"Dear Ms xxxx
Weve been through a lot together recently and wed like to thank you for your unwavering loyalty and support during this challenging time.
We previously reduced the number of Tier Points needed to renew your Gold status by 25%, until 31 December 2022.
We're now going a step further to express our gratitude and will be renewing your Gold status for one more year, irrespective of how many Tier Points youve earned in your current Tier Point Collection Year.
You dont need to do anything. Well automatically apply another year of Gold status to your account.
Thank you again for your continued loyalty.
With best wishes
Your Executive Club Team"

Dear BA, all is forgiven... I've earned zero TP's since 2019, and have limited myself to domestic flying in Australia for the time being. But still, it's very welcome, especially as I'll be able to use my OWE benefits flying Qantas. And who knows what the future holds...
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:58 pm

Im encouraged to know that the emails are still being churned out, as Im feeling like the only kid in town without the party invite

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.